Super Moderator
Reaction score
Beyond Magnetic was better.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree, but that's mainly because it's just four good songs, no room for filler. The best material on "Death Magnetic" is on par with "Beyond Magnetic" imo.

For me Death Magnetic easily could have been.

1. That Was Just Your Life
2. End Of The Line
3. BB&S
4. Hell and Back
5. All Nightmare Long
6. Rebel of Babylon
7. Just A Bullet Away
8. The Judas Kiss
9. Hate Train
10. My Apocalypse

That would have made the album more or an 8 instead of just a 6.5 to 7.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
For me, Death Magnetic and Beyond Magnetic are pretty much equal. I have a hard time differentiating them in terms of quality. But as Death has a much larger roster I'd put that one way ahead by default.

Only song on Death Magnetic I'd definitely switch out would be The Unforgiven III. Not a bad song, just... not as good as the others.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably hard to differentiate because the EP songs were done in the same sessions as the album.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Listened to Death Magnetic yesterday at the gym. It's been a few years since I heard these songs and I quite enjoyed listening to them. The album was a bit better than I remembered. As 'That Was Just Your Life' opens with that steady mid-tempo beat, the last thing you expect is for it to suddenly take off on a high speed double bass pedal celebration of the 80s albums. I remember listening to it for the first time in 2008, my face flush with joy that the old Metallica is back!! Yesterday I almost relived that moment. The first 4 songs are incredibly strong! I'm still not crazy about the 5th track, All Nightmare Long. The title is cheesy as heck and the lyrics are borderline hilarious! There is some serious thrash going on there though. Musically it's fine. But for similar reasons, I'm not a fan of My Apocalypse. I do like Unforgiven III. It gives a nice respite in the middle of the album to all the high speed thrash. I don't remember how the instrumental track goes. Didn't get a chance to listen to it yesterday. So I will finish the album and comment again.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Okay, heard Beyond Magnetic finally. Quite underwhelmed. :uh: Maybe it will improve on the second listen? Otherwise, oh well... I'll always have Death Magnetic.

Btw, I could not fit Beyond and Death on to the same CD to listen in the car. DM almost fills up the whole 80 min! :D

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Metallica's problem for a long time is cramming albums with a lot of filler. lol

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Metallica's problem for a long time is cramming albums with a lot of filler. lol

Agreed on that one! Even Load has tons of filler like Cure, Wasting My Hate, 2X4, Poor Twisted Me etc. Reload was slightly better I think, although it too had Prince Charming, Attitude, Better Than You... songs that are just mediocre, in my opinion.

To be honest, I'm not really that excited for any new album. :p There's plenty of rock classics by other bands that I'd rather spend time discovering.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online