Wire (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Wire are an English rock band who were formed in London in October 1976 by Colin Newman (vocals, guitar), Graham Lewis (bass, vocals), Bruce Gilbert (guitar), and Robert Gotobed (drums).

Their music is often hard to describe and put under one umbrella, their music has been described as post punk, punk, rock, progressive, art punk, to name but a few. The band are still playing together now but do not play many shows.

They have released many albums with a new one this year, there have been many re-releases of their albums with extra tracks and some with no extra tracks.

Studio albums:

Pink Flag (1977)
Chairs Missing (1978)
154 (1979)
The Ideal Copy (1987)
A Bell Is a Cup (1988)
IBTABA (1989)
Manscape (1990)
The Drill (1991)
The First Letter (1991)
Send (2003)
Object 47 (2008)
Red Barked Tree (2010)
Change Becomes Us (2013)
Wire (2015)
Nocturnal Koreans (2016)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Good band Sweaty, good to catch up with them at the COSMOSIS Festival.It was packed when they played !! Good live band.
I have a few of their albums/singles etc

Here are a couple of my favourite tracks

Iam the fly/ I should of known better

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Wire are an English rock band who were formed in London in October 1976 by Colin Newman (vocals, guitar), Graham Lewis (bass, vocals), Bruce Gilbert (guitar), and Robert Gotobed (drums).

Their music is often hard to describe and put under one umbrella, their music has been described as post punk, punk, rock, progressive, art punk, to name but a few. The band are still playing together now but do not play many shows.

They have released many albums with a new one this year, there have been many re-releases of their albums with extra tracks and some with no extra tracks.

Studio albums:

Pink Flag (1977)
Chairs Missing (1978)
154 (1979)
The Ideal Copy (1987)
A Bell Is a Cup (1988)
IBTABA (1989)
Manscape (1990)
The Drill (1991)
The First Letter (1991)
Send (2003)
Object 47 (2008)
Red Barked Tree (2010)
Change Becomes Us (2013)
Wire (2015)
Nocturnal Koreans (2016)

Good band Sweaty, good to catch up with them at the COSMOSIS Festival.It was packed when they played !! Good live band.
I have a few of their albums/singles etc

Here are a couple of my favourite tracks

Iam the fly/ I should of known better

wow never heard of them but thanks LOU/REALM because of the vids I`ll seek them out.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
It was good to catch up with them Lou, I had not seen them before and the fact that they were playing at the festival was one of the reasons I went.

Great to see they are still popular, just picked up their 3rd album on CD yesterday, won it on eBay for just over a fiver so happy with that.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Its great to see an interest in these old post punk bands like Wire,Artery,Magazine,Chameleons etc...inspired so many.
As for Wire...2 bands come to mind straight away Menswear and Fischerspooner.
I will also be checking out more of WIREs material.Strangely when we saw them "Live" they didn't play ANYTHING I recognised...eg off the early classic albums

2 more good tracks

12XU /Practice makes perfect

Last edited:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Good tracks Lou, I think it's a shame they did not at least play one of the big ones but it's their choice I suppose, creates discussion threads like these.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Do you know these old post punk masters have still got it . Here is some recent recordings of WIRE

Kidney bingos / Nocturnal Koreans

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw them live a few times and followed them from the oi! times to post punk art rock... but lost interest after 154.
They did some great singles, which were on Harvest.
Marooned.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepaul

Members online