Jason Becker (Official Thread)

Nora

Reaction score
JASON BECKER

af592291-814c-4cfc-94bb-d92eff46b3dd

Jason Becker (born July 22, 1969) is an American heavy metal guitarist and composer. At the age of 16, he became part of the Shrapnel Records-produced duo Cacophony with his friend Marty Friedman. They released the albums Speed Metal Symphony in 1987 and Go Off! in 1988. Cacophony broke up in 1989 and Becker began doing solo work, having released his first album Perpetual Burn in 1988, also through Shrapnel. He later joined David Lee Roth's band and recorded one album with him, A Little Ain't Enough.
Becker graduated from Kennedy High School where he performed Yngwie Malmsteen's "Black Star" with his band at a talent show. While still in high school, Becker was introduced to Marty Friedman. He was exposed to the guitar at an early age because both his father and his uncle were guitar players. He absorbed all kinds of music from around the world and melded different aspects of each style into his playing. He cited Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen as early influences.

Considered a virtuoso guitarist and one of the top players of his time, Jason Becker studied the works of violinist Niccolò Paganini and was a playing partner with Marty Friedman. He later arranged Paganini's 5th Caprice, performing it during an instructional guitar video. Becker's compositions often include high speed scalar and arpeggio passages—trademarks of his 'shred' style of guitar playing. Often incorporating advanced techniques such as sweep picking, alternate picking, artificial harmonic accenting, and tapping; he was among the leaders of the field during the technical 'shred' guitar and Neo-Classical Metal trend of the mid to late eighties and is still respected and honored by his musician peers today. The song Serrana appearing in the album Perspective, is an example of his sweep-picking skills. He demonstrated the arpeggio sequence during a clinic at the Atlanta Institute of Music. A video of this performance first appeared on his Hot Licks guitar instructional video.

Discography

Cacophony

Speed Metal Symphony (1987)
Go Off!(1988)

Marty Friedman

Dragon's Kiss (1988)

Solo

Perpetual Burn (1988)
Perspective (1996)
The Raspeberry Jams (1999)
The Raspeberry Jams (2003)
Collection (2007)
Boy Meets Guitar, Vol. 1 of the Youngster Tapes (2012)

David Lee Roth
A Little Enough (1991)

Joe Becker
Short Stories (2005)

Other works

Richie Kotzen(1989)
Daydream by the Hudson on Steve Hunter's 2013 The Manhattan Blues Project

Compilations

Guitar Masters
, 1989, Roadrunner Records
Metal Guitars – High Voltage Instrumentals,1998, Disky Communications
Shrapnel's Super Shredders: Neoclassical,2003, Shrapnel
This is Shredding, Vol. 1, 2007, Shrapnel
This is Shredding, Vol. 2, 2007, Shrapnel

Instructional

Hot Licks – The Legendary Guitar of Jason Becker

Songs & Videos

Concerto

Altitudes

The Ninja

Perpetual Burn

Paganini's 5th Caprice

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
I had both CACOPHONY cds SPEED METAL SYMPHONY (1987) & GO OFF (1988) back in the 1990s and they were both pretty good I especially remember listening to GO OFF on a number of separate occasions back then and liking it. I also had MARTY FRIEDMAN's DRAGON'S KISS although I believe I only played it right through on a couple of occasions and don't really remember that much about it although maybe I wasn't paying enough attention anyway from a vague memory I have a feeling it mite have been all instrumental tracks but it has been about 20 years ago now or slightly longer since I last heard it so I could be wrong?.

E-Z

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know that this album had come out. I remember hearing about it a while back, but I never followed up on it. I'm definitely going to have to look into this.

Look at this list of names of guys that worked on this record:

Jason Becker, ‘Triumphant Hearts’ Track Listing
1. “Triumphant Heart” (feat. Marty Friedman, Glauco Bertagnin & Hiyori Okuda)
2. “Hold On To Love” (feat. Codany Holiday)
3. “Fantasy Weaver” (feat. Jake Shimabukuro)
4. “Once Upon A Melody”
5. “We Are One” (feat. Steve Knight)
6. “Magic Woman” (feat. Uli Jon Roth & Chris Broderick)
7. “Blowin' in the Wind” (Gary Rosenberg & Jason Becker)
8. “River of Longing” (feat. Joe Satriani, Aleks Sever, Guthrie Govan, Steve Morse)
9. “Valley of Fire” (feat. Michael Lee Firkins, Steve Vai, Joe Bonamassa, Paul Gilbert, Neal Schon, Mattias IA Eklundh, Marty Friedman, Greg Howe, Jeff Loomis, Richie Kotzen, Gus G., Steve Hunter, Ben Woods)
10. “River of Longing” (feat. Trevor Rabin)
11. “Taking Me Back”
12. “Tell Me No Lies”
13. “Hold On To Love” (feat. Codany Holiday) [Chuck Zwicky Remix]
14. “You Do It”

Valley of Fire that @Trickster linked is good enough on it's own to warrant buying it.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/jason-becker-triumphant-hearts/ <--- more info if anyone is interested

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Members online