Metallica (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Metallica

^^I still like Metallica, and as far as "Selling Out", I agree their recent world tour supporting "Death Magnetic" was a Sell Out worldwide LXA.:lmao:

Like both bands, and on the one hand what Lars did with the Napster fiasco diminishes him a little, I can't really blame anyone for trying to retain some control over what they create. If only artists banded together and fought for a larger slice of the pie from the labels, that would be justice for all.:grinthumb

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

^^I still like Metallica, and as far as "Selling Out", I agree their recent world tour supporting "Death Magnetic" was a Sell Out worldwide LXA.:lmao:

Like both bands, and on the one hand what Lars did with the Napster fiasco diminishes him a little, I can't really blame anyone for trying to retain some control over what they create. If only artists banded together and fought for a larger slice of the pie from the labels, that would be justice for all.:grinthumb

Hear! Hear! Metallica rules :bow:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Metallica had 3 good albums, then they became the biggest sellouts in the world. You may call cutting their hair, wearing suits, becoming more of business men then musicians, suing 12 year old boys, and making their music sound like Nickelback is changing their style, but to me, that's selling out.

When Metallica puts out a string of hugely successful singles done on acoustic guitar like "Photograph" and "Rockstar" then I'll be a bit more inclined to believe your claim. :tongue:

b.o.b.

Reaction score

I like Metallica just a little bit more especially because of the 80’s albums where Metallica was by far better. In the 90’s and 00's, Megadeth is beating Metallica but not enough to recover the gap created by the first 4 Metallica albums :D.

Kill 'Em All (1983) >>> Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good! (1985)
Ride the Lightning (1984) >>> Peace Sells... but Who's Buying? (1986)
Master of Puppets (1986) >>>> So Far, So Good... So What! (1988)
...And Justice for All (1988) > Rust in Peace (1990)
Metallica (1991) = Countdown to Extinction (1992)
Load (1996) << Youthanasia (1994)
ReLoad (1997) << Cryptic Writings (1997)
... < Risk (1999)
... < The World Needs a Hero (2001)
St. Anger (2003) < The System Has Failed (2004)
... < United Abominations (2007)
Death Magnetic (2008) < Endgame (2009)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nice vs list Bob, I agree too, early Metallica is what gives them the edge over Megadeth, but apparently Mustaine and Metallica have finally come to terms and gotten over the past. Which is a good thing, nurturing a grievance for decades is not good for anyone.:cheers:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

Megadeth is child's play compared to Metallica IMHO.

From Metallica I love Kill, Ride, Puppets, Black, & Death Magnetic, and I like Justice, Garage Days, and a few songs off of Load. The rest is garbage IYAM, but virtually no band with as many albums as Metallica doesn't have some awful albums, so I don't consider it a big deal at all. Metallica sold out their more extreme ways with Black but (first of all) they had been getting more and more commercial with every new album, so it should have been no surprise to anyone, and (secondly) at least on Black they made a ****ing incredible album. Slayer stayed tro00 and they just got bland and boring. Metallica eventually got bland and boring and didn't even have tro0ness to cradle them, but the fact that they tried some new things allowed them to have more good albums than Slayer.

Death Magnetic was a huge breath of fresh air for me. It's not the greatest album ever but it righted a whole lot of wrongs. It changed Metallica from a band that was really incredible and then decided to become completely effing retarded, into a band that was really incredible and then dipped into some bad territory for a while. The fact that they came back with something good improves their name so much in my mind. I wish all my favorite bands could do that. Neil Young really needs to release "a Death Magnetic."

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Every band goes through a period of transition AAG, the long lived ones anyway. When an artist starts to repeat themselves endlessly, they have to try and branch out even if it fails utterly to those outside of the band itself. Then sometimes they have an epiphany and something amazing is the result. Also in Metallica's case, Hetfield had to deal with a lot of personal demons, and once you conquer your vices, then you feel rejuvenated and your fire is rekindled again.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

I agree, I agree. Except that... usually when an artist has a lot of demons, that results in good music!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Yeah but sometimes the Demons win and we lose the artist forever, like walking on a Knife's Edge.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online