Metallica (Official Thread)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Re: Metallica

^^Agreed AAG.

LXA that is a reach, and the "Selling Out" you seem fixated on, well any band with the pedigree Metallica has is entitled to do whatever they want, and that includes releasing albums that some hard core fans don't like. Metallica doesn't belong to anyone but themselves, you enjoy the albums they made that you like and ignore the ones you don't like(St. Anger etc.)

The only comparison I can possibly make between Nickelback and Metallica is they are both in the business of selling albums and doing concerts and are very successful bands. The music, night and day.

I agree with that. Anytime a group becomes successful people are going to turn on them by saying that they sold out. I mean, I've actually heard people say that AC/DC has sold out when they've been doing the exact same thing year after year. :rolleyes:

Yeah, so maybe Metallica switched up what they were doing with "The Black Album" but it's not like that sat down and went "Yeah, were going to make this album that is too heavy and aggressive for the radio and our first single will be 'Enter Sandman' and the pop charts will eat it up like candy.". They just did (and have been doing) what they wanted and it just clicked with more people than albums like "Kill 'Em All" did.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

Agreed, the early albums were much more raw.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

I do not see what is so terrible about "selling out" whatever that means. Why can't people just say they don't like a band without using lame excuses like that?

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

I like most of their albums, great band and still rocking, have seen them as couple of times and they were excellent:)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I love all of Metallica's albums up until the Black album. I liked Death Magnetic, but their older stuff is much better IMO.

So much better.

I like Metallica but if someone where to ask me which album or era by them was my favorite I wouldn't be able to pick, not because I "love them all so much" or anything like that (though I will say that it wouldn't be "St. Anger" or "Load") but it would be because none of their albums strike me as good, complete albums. Now I'm not say that that is because the albums aren't good but because I only listen to certain songs off of each album.

(there is a point to me going into this, trust me)

Now where I live I most prevalently hear from people that "Kill 'Em All" is their best album by far and to that I my response is ---> :rolleyes: because that album is a prime example of what I don't like about Metallica or music in general. I understand that the album's goal is to be fast and aggressive and everything that trash is "suppose" to be but it's lack of dynamics or change only bores me and logically an album that fast and aggressive shouldn't be boring. What Metallica has done over the years is moved from strictly thrash to more general metal that (from what I see) infuriates some fans because specific fans don't like their metal to be anything other than the thin line set before them, over wise they are "selling out". For example, if a death/black/thrash/whatever metal band ever were to depart from the very linear format of what their little offshoot of metal is then there is going to be a backlash which means that either the band needs to keep walking that same line over and over again or face some form of backlash if they want to do something else musically.
There are just some genres that are condemned by themselves and I believe the various forms of metal are the most strict (others consist of punk, whatever is "pop music" at the time, etc) which is why some people pick at Metallica's later albums so much. The fact of the matter though is that Metallica opted to take that second route and have been met with MORE than apparent backlash for it and they simply don't care and for that I respect them a great deal.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

I'll admit, this song sounds more like a theory of a deadman song, but still, definitely an attempt to sell out.

Now THIS reminds me of Nickelback, the vocals.
too lazy to find the other songs
It may just be me, but the first time I heard both of those songs on the radio I thought it was nickelback, and theory of a deadman. I only realized it when I listened to them after downloading metallica that those songs were theirs.

Not getting that at all

Am I the only Metallica fan that loves Black album onwards (well, except for St Anger which was a big disappointment to me)??? I first got into the band in '88 - first album I heard by them was And Justice For All, and I quickly had to have their previous offerings so impressed was I! But my favourites are Black album onwards. Maybe I'm weird, I dunno :confused:. Hum, don't answer that!

Last edited:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Not getting that at all

Am I the only Metallica fan that loves Black album onwards (well, except for St Anger which was a big disappointment to me)??? I first got into the band in '88 - first album I heard by them was And Justice For All, and I quickly had to have their previous offerings so impressed was I! But my favourites are Black album onwards. Maybe I'm weird, I dunno :confused:. Hum, don't answer that!

Well I wouldn't say I "love" their work after The Black Album but my favorites are all from pre and post Black Album albums. "Fuel" is a great track any way you look at it for example. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online