• Short With Impact

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Equally Impressive

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
Their smarts or lack there of has nothing to do with influence.

Did the beatles change the entire face of music? No they didn't. They were one of the many bands that helped change music.

The Pistols changed music with one record.

No I am far from blind.

Also, The Beatles was the first group to take risks. You can always identify a Beatles song, but they are all so different.

They experimented with rock, psychedelic music and strange concepts--Yellow Submarine.

They WERE the British Invasion of the 60's. Look at all of the British groups who appeared after the Beatles attempting to mimic them.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I'm not talking about sales, I'm talking influence.

As much as it pains me to admit it, there really aren't any bands in the rock spectrum as influential as the Beatles. They influenced EVERYONE, even the Sex Pistols (when you take into consideration that hatred was a driving force behind the band, the Beatles and Led Zeppelin were probably their strongest influences).

I lean more towards the Pistols myself, but the Beatles are far more influential.

Really? So every single band? Get real. They influenced lots of people and it is impossible to count the amount of bands that are influenced by other bands.

The Sex Pistols were influenced by the amount of jam bands around and how rock n roll became ridiculous.

Steve Jones their guitarist was influenced by Chuck Berry.

Never once heard the Beatles playing an influence in the Sex Pistols sound. You can try to argue semantics saying the beatles were hated by them so they influenced them...... no that is kind of ridiculous.

You said they are bigger than Jesus. That in my mind had something to do with popularity which in turn brings up album sales and fans.

Velvet Underground are one of the most influential bands ever. Does their popularity have anything to do with their influence?

Shit Bob Dylan influenced the Beatles. Does that make him the most influential artist?

No.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Also, The Beatles was the first group to take risks. You can always identify a Beatles song, but they are all so different.

They experimented with rock, psychedelic music and strange concepts--Yellow Submarine.

They WERE the British Invasion of the 60's. Look at all of the British groups who appeared after the Beatles attempting to mimic them.

Experimentation has nothing to do with influence.

Let's get this back on topic now.

I find it to be more impressive when a band has a short life span and has a huge impact.

Nirvana
Sex Pistols
Hendrix

are 3 that had short careers but had huge impacts.

Reaction score
The thread has been reopened. Make sure it stays on track and there are no personal insults, and if it does not, the thread will be closed permanently:grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I may be in the minority but I don't care about impact period! Screw anyone's claim to a legacy period from my point of view. It validates nothing because music is a personal experience. I listen to any artist as if in a vacuum or bubble and couldn't care less whether I shared that love with one person or the whole world! I believe way too much time is spent trying to back up why music artist are so great outside of our own personal experiences with the music! :D

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I would never say that the Beatles had a short career. I mean, 7+ yrs from first studio album to last studio album isnt "long", but they put out (I think) 12 studio albums in those 6 or 7 years.

Just thinking out loud.....

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would never say that the Beatles had a short career. I mean, 7+ yrs from first studio album to last studio album isnt "long", but they put out (I think) 12 studio albums in those 6 or 7 years.

Just thinking out loud.....

I agree! :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
both are equally impressive, IMHO.

Although for a band to maintain longevity does take skill, marketing skill as well as musician skill.

One hit wonders can have just as much impact on music.......Look at Gary Glitter's "Rock n' Roll" who would have ever thought that song would hold so much impact for all these years, it is a staple for any sports event.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I may be in the minority but I don't care about impact period! Screw anyone's claim to a legacy period from my point of view. It validates nothing because music is a personal experience. I listen to any artist as if in a vacuum or bubble and couldn't care less whether I shared that love with one person or the whole world! I believe way too much time is spent trying to back up why music artist are so great outside of our own personal experiences with the music! :D

I think Sooty's take on it all is equally as impressive as the three choices given. :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.