Lana Del Rey

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Lana Del Rey "Piloting The Time Machine"

MMMMMmmmmmm and here comes Slipn in the Lana thread.. Hmmmm :think:
Quick and I mean "QUICK" Opinion and don't forget.. mines super cheap!!
Getting past the voice is my first stumbling block.. In between pretty and a helium experience..
ILJP.. Dark Paradise had vocals so don't understand the instrumental reply..
Out of all of those tid bits.. I liked "Without You" the really least and shameful song to me was "Diet Mountain Dew".. now you know I can enjoy some pop, but that was a horrible song for her kinda talent.
Truthfully.. I see this CD is a quick fry and will get her some exposure.. If it gets real popular and climbs up the charts.. Well.. that wouldn't shock me given the way music has an impact on today's music lovers..
Me personally.. will pass on this.. I wouldn't play it much.. Us rockers as you call us need a lift in our music.. Droning right now is not my bag..
And I'm outa here..:peek

Oooooh nooooooz, it's a rocka invasion! :peek:heheh: Welcome Slipn'! :grinthumb All joking aside, I respect your opinion and you gave it a try so I can't complain just because your enthusiasm is as high as ours. From my perspective though what Jen was saying was not that is was a pure instrumental but there are two layers to Lana's music. One is like the first two singles, "Videos Games" and "Blue Jeans" which are more orchestrated, delicate and if you see the live performances definitely have a more organic sound and the other side is closer to the hip-hop side where the beats are more dominant. If you listen to Diet Mountain Dew and then the next two you hear the contrasts.

You know me by now, Slipn'! I don't disagree with getting that lift in music but there's definitely enough of a pop element in here to give a lot of people that lift. I honestly, haven't settled down with a true pop artist in a while though I like them. This to me is refreshing enough and has enough elements I like to hold even me at my most ADD. Honestly, I've been playing the singles since I've started this thread and still don't tire of them! I'm not a fad guy. If I dig it, there's definitely a reason for it! :cheers2

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

Thank you Soots. That's exactly what I meant, though I should have worded it differently.

Have you given the album a listen yet? Eager to hear your thoughts.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Thank you Soots. That's exactly what I meant, though I should have worded it differently.

Have you given the album a listen yet? Eager to hear your thoughts.

My friend still has to get it to me but it's purchased and will be in my hands next time I see him. :)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

Of course yours will be a little different with those bonus tracks of yours. Always gotta outdo me. :heheh:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

Here's one from the album I had neglected to post before. The intro is interesting but once she gets into her faux rapping bit and lame brained, childish lyrics the song is totally dead to me. Probably the worst on the album IMO but the younger listeners will be more into this one. More of a pop vibe but I prefer just about any of her other songs over this.

National Anthem

Radio is along the same lines with the lyrics leaving me wanting a little more, though the Stevie Nicks comparison is clearly evident in the beginning.

Carmen... really nothing notable about this one to me. These three songs are at the bottom of the barrel for me as far as this album goes.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Alright, just want to say finally got and gave the album a full listen. I was worried the hip-hop influence would be too over the top for her style but I was wrong and I LOVE it. :D Will expound later after even more but for now I want to listen more. For now, I do think Jen's given the album justice and I have to thank her for picking up my slack gracefully! :cheers2

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I've decided that my favorite song off of the album not including the trio of "Born To Die", "Video games" and "Blue Jeans" is "Off To The Races"! I love the vocals in this from the sultry swagger to the cooing of words like "Scarlett, Scarlett" to the jazzy scatting of other parts and the dramatic chorus! Definitely a cornucopia that represents the diversity and unique sound of the overall album! :grinthumb

Off to The Races

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

Shucks Sooty, I don't think I could ever compare to your greatness but thanks for the compliment. I like Off to the Races too, but it's not my absolute favorite and its a little hard to choose. I guess I'd have to say Million Dollar Man or Summertime Sadness aside from the usuals. :grinthumb

One of the things that I've enjoyed from Lana's album is the variations in her vocals and her ability to change it up. At first I wasn't too sure if I liked that but she always keeps you guessing as to what she'll do next and I suppose she'll never be boring if she spices things up like that. Looking forward to your surely wordy synopsis Sooty. ;)

Syd

Reaction score

I love this album. Didn't really pay that much attention to the hype and stuff. But I gave her a chance. And, in my opinion, it's the best album of the yeear, followed very closely by The Shins' Port Of Morrow. Lana del Rey has been seriously hyped and now criminally underrated and underappreciated. She deserves more.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

I really need to check out Port of Morrow Syd. As for Lana's album, I've really only listened to it the full way through two or three times. It was kind of all over the place for me. I think she really needs to figure out what her "identity" in the music biz will be.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online