Lana Del Rey

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Re: Lana Del Rey "Piloting The Time Machine"

Just to let you guys know, iTunes is giving "Born to Die" as a free download this week since Lana's album is so highly anticipated. Definitely worth checking out.

Soots, I'm liking this girl more and more. :grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

So after listening to Lana's live performance of Blue Jeans on Slip's 'Lana Del Rey's SNL Performance' thread and liking it, here I am checking some of her other music out and the studio version of Blue Jeans. I really do like the song in a big way, and I can see now why those of you who already knew the song thought that that SNL performance was off or weak, though I still stand by my positive vote! The other track I like is Born To Die. Not sure yet whether I'll be buying the album or not as the other songs posted didn't immediately grab me (not including Video Games which I had heard before and do quite like), but we'll see :)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

Tray, her debut album officially releases tomorrow. It will auto download onto my iTunes. I will try to post some vids of her new material so you can test her out and see if you want to buy her stuff. :)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Hey Trey, thanks for giving everything a fair listen! Lana really does have a unique vibe to her music and that's why I feel her push is warranted. She has the vocal chops to fit what they were trying to create so she's as authentic as they come to me. I'm hoping to have the album soon and with the multitude of songs she's had on the internet already I've liked enough of them to know they'd have to have made a lot of changes for me not to like the album. :grinthumb

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

I listened to the album in its entirety last night and wow, is it ever all over the place. I'm not even sure which genre to categorize Lana under at this point. It's like with the passing of each song that line blurs a little more. I can hear a strong overall hip-hop inspiration, as well as her more well known instrumental piano ballads, a little pop, etc. As far as her voice goes, I can hear the Stevie, the Cyndi, and even a little Shakira in some parts and some soul much like Erykah Badu. There's a few other good tracks besides the ones already mentioned in the thread previously but overall, I'm not sure if I'm impressed by it or not at this point. Will post some later. :)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

Alright, there were a couple of members who were interested in hearing a little more of Lana.

It took a second listen to really come around with this album. Each song stands out on its own with either different elements vocally or musically present. Lana is very much a vocal acrobat but without the range, like a chameleon that easily be shelved into various genres. I do think she tried a little hard with this one though. I think the "gangsta Nancy Sinatra" persona she takes on could easily draw in pop/hip-hop fans but would deter rock fans at the same time. I enjoy an album that, overall, sticks with the same "theme" so this one seemed a bit choppy to me at times. The best tunes are her more "commercial" ones at the beginning as well as the last three of four.

Good album overall but I hope she finds her "niche" and identity as a performer sooner rather than later or I can see her dissolving quick in a sea of female performers who will undoubtedly try to follow in the steps of divas like Adele and match her success.

Diet Mountain Dew is one of the songs that has that modern day soul singer vibe much like Erykah Badu with, in my opinion, strong hip-hop undertones and a very pretty piano bit. Music reminds me of something Kanye would do.

Dark Paradise is one of the "instrumental" tunes on the album that strays from the hip-hop elements that would deter the rockers on the forum.

Million Dollar Man is a gorgeous song, with much more of a flow to it and those elements that initially peaked curiosity for Lana in songs like Video Games are present in this one. Easily one of my favorites. Very retro, classy with a nostalgic feel.

This Is What Makes Us Girls is a very pretty tune and a good testament to Lana's vocal capabilities. The overall theme of the song reminds me of one of Katy Perry's typical "we got wasted and had fun when we were [insert age here]" tunes that I dig so much, without the pop. :heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Thank you Jen for the preview! I'll be waiting to get the target version as it has these two songs as bonus tracks:

Without You & ******

When I was looking at I-Tunes it seemed that "Diet Mountain Dew" was getting the highest reviews but of the ones you posted I liked "Dark Paradise". This is likely that I like how I first heard her with "Video Games" and "Blue Jeans" with more of the dreamy retro sound and less beat heavy hip-hop glamour type sound. :) Regardless I'm liking the variety and plan onm having a great experience with this album. :grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

Thanks for posting those Jen and giving your thoughts. I can see why 'Diet Mountain Dew' is popular - very radio friendly, super catchy - but doesn't really hit the spot for me. Now 'Dark Paradise' is much more my cup of tea, along with the bonus track Sooty posted 'Without You'. Overall favourite is definitely 'Blue Jeans' :grinthumb

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

MMMMMmmmmmm and here comes Slipn in the Lana thread.. Hmmmm :think:
Quick and I mean "QUICK" Opinion and don't forget.. mines super cheap!!
Getting past the voice is my first stumbling block.. In between pretty and a helium experience..
ILJP.. Dark Paradise had vocals so don't understand the instrumental reply..
Out of all of those tid bits.. I liked "Without You" the really least and shameful song to me was "Diet Mountain Dew".. now you know I can enjoy some pop, but that was a horrible song for her kinda talent.
Truthfully.. I see this CD is a quick fry and will get her some exposure.. If it gets real popular and climbs up the charts.. Well.. that wouldn't shock me given the way music has an impact on today's music lovers..
Me personally.. will pass on this.. I wouldn't play it much.. Us rockers as you call us need a lift in our music.. Droning right now is not my bag..
And I'm outa here..:peek

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online

No members online now.