Lana Del Rey

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
untitled-1_92.png

15JPDELREY1-master675.jpg

Here's an artist in which I was knocked on my ass. Every Tuesday or soon after I check out all the new artist coming out on I-Tunes new release list. I do a quick runthrough of each artist using youtube. I saw a cover for this artist and saw the song was called "Video Games". I was expecting a Britney Spears clone singing electro pop. What I got was an artist that transported me to a different world and era altogether like a dream. You would swear Nancy Sinatra gave birth to her. Here's the hauntingly beautiful spellbinding song that hooked me:

Video Games

Here's a live version as well:

Here are some other great tracks:

Blue Jeans

Kinda Outta Luck

Her only release right now is this EP:

Video Games/Blue Jeans EP
LanaDelRey-Cover.jpg

Check out this beautiful, talented lady! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: Lana Del Rey "Piloting The Time Machine"

Hey this is pretty damn good!! :grinthumb

Now don't kill me but it's still the voice I've come to expect from your female artists Soot but at the same time, it's your style and I like that Melanie style anyway.

This time around I can hear more Stevie Nicks and tiny touches of Tori, like when she sings "Is that true" in Video Games...which BTW is a very hypnotic song!

I'm listening to the rest, probably as you read this.

Thanks for the find!! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

:pullhair:

WOW!! Blue Jeans is really good! The melody is very hypnotic in that one as well. I like the way the melodies work. Kind of gives you that feeling of being locked in a dream.

The melody reminds me of something that I cannot put my finger on, errrgg...Tori I think...I'm sure...

But I like this man. I think you may have made a sale and I'll be posting again soon in the CD's Bought Through Other CRF Members thread!

:heheh: :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Here 's a cool tune I found...pretty good

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Sweet Metal! I'm hoping more members seeing this! I think it would have appeal here and can think of specific members that would dig her! Really reminds me of Nancy Sinatra and this style of song:

Here's a more fused modern/retro song that's more beat driven and very sexual! Sexuality is definitely a selling point behind this artist! Fine with me! :D

lana-del-rey.jpg
You Can Be The Boss

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Yeah the Nancy Sinatra thing...moments of Cyndi Lauper as well. All those raspy singers!

Here's a cool one.

Pawn Shop Blues

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

I'm not sure if I'm really a fan of her videos. The random assortment of video clips is a little distracting from the music for my simple mind and the audio from them distracts me as well. Then again I have a very short attention span! And what's up with the fish face pouty thing she does in all over her videos? She needs to be more creative and hire a Coppola or something and make her videos a little more unique. :heheh:

As for her music, I definitely get the "haunting" feel from Video Games. I've always been a fan of the touch of class and elegance that classical instruments can bring to pretty much any song or any genre when thrown in. I don't usually hear the harp much in contemporary music and paired with the piano it sounded very timeless and pretty!

I swear I thought "She sounds like Stevie Nicks.", then I read MP's comment after. :grinthumb And the squeaky thing she added at the end of one of the lines in the last song, Kinda Outta Luck, was definitely Cyndi-esque, and I love me some Cyndi! I think that was my favorite out of the three you posted Soots.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

:heheh: With the pouty face thing I think she had surgery to fit the image they were going with. Botox injections or something. At least that's what's rumored. :heheh: I do like the videos as they do capture that image and I like how it's all thought out but you are right, the audio can take you out of the song. I think the clips are supposed to be liking looking at an old film reel from that time. :)

You and MP are right but I didn't get it until you pointed out the exact moment in the song where the Cyndi comparison came in. Now I get it! :)

I'm glad you guys both dig her and thanks for sharing your thoughts! Well written Jen! :)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

That's something I had neglected to mention in my previous post Soots. She does have that retro 60's babe thing going on to go with her unique sound. I can't really put my finger on who she most closely resembles vocally though, and it's bugging me. :bonk:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

That's something I had neglected to mention in my previous post Soots. She does have that retro 60's babe thing going on to go with her unique sound. I can't really put my finger on who she most closely resembles vocally though, and it's bugging me. :bonk:

The classic mixture of Stevie Nicks, Melanie, Edie Brickell, Tori Amos, Alanis, Cyndi Lauper...alot of style these days for pop female vocalists always comes back to alot of these women for me. Who were also similar to each other back in the day as well so not much has changed.

I find it funny, but I don't find it bad. I do like this and I'm hoping to get my hands on the EP when it becomes avaialable.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online