37428_1523516849606_1285142849_1493409_3726629_n.jpg

37428_1523516769604_1285142849_1493407_6904425_n.jpg

20863_1523515809580_1285142849_1493402_1496597_n.jpg

36453_1523514849556_1285142849_1493395_4417897_n.jpg

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Re: KISS ~ Band of the Month ~ July 2010

I've always been fond of the Carnival of Souls album myself, that or Hot in the Shade.

rtbuck

Reaction score

^^^^^^Carnival of Souls is a great underrated album (I love "Jungle" ) & 'Hot in the Shade' is one of those albums that I don't pull out that much & whenever I do I always ask myself "Why don't I listen to this more???".
Actually, a few of the songs from H.I.T.S. (Betrayed,Love's a Slap in the Face, Prisoner of Love, & The Street Giveth & Taketh Away) were released on a limited edition 8 song EP along with Strutter, Deuce, Partners in Crime, & Nowhere to Run titled 'First Kiss...Last Licks' about a month after the release of 'H.I.T.S.'. There were only about 700 vinyl copies pressed & they were released to radio stations

first_kiss_last_licks.jpg

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Some cool scans/photos here Bucky. Some of them I do remember having myself as I was always buying any magazine that had Kiss in it, including older and used magazines when I could find them, cutting out the Kiss pix and putting them all up on the walls of my bedroom. Wish I still had that stuff, but when I went off to college, it all ended up in the roundfile.

Also, cool seeing the KISS cards again. I've got a full set of the original ones from '78. None in the greatest condition anymore as I looked at them, read them, sorted them, resorted them, read them some more, then went and started over and did it all again and again. ;)

Lynch

Reaction score

Kiss' 5th studio album, Rock and Roll Over, was released on Nov 11, 1976.

Rock_and_roll_over_cover.jpg

Track Listing:

1. I Want You (3:04)
2. Take Me (2:56)
3. Calling Dr. Love (3:44)
4. Ladies Room" (3:27)
5. Baby Driver (3:40)
6. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em (3:47)
7. Mr. Speed (3:18)
8. See You in Your Dreams (2:34)
9. Hard Luck Woman (3:34)
10. Makin' Love (3:14)

The album was the 2nd consecutive Kiss album to go platinum as it hit the 1 million sale mark less than 2 months after the album's release. The album peaked at #11 on the billboard charts and had 2 singles that also broke into the top 20.

Hard Luck Woman was the first of those two singles. The song was written by Paul Stanley who actually had Rod Stewart in mind when he wrote the song. Rod didn't have any interest in using/recording the song, so Kiss kept and recorded the song with Peter Criss on vocals. The song peaked at #15.

Calling Dr. Love was the second single on from the album, peaked at #16 on the singles charts. Written and sang by Gene Simmons, it's been said that the title of the track originally came from or was inspired by a Three Stooges clip.

Other notable info from this album and the subsequent tour. The band went to Japan for the first time and played 4 sold-out nights at the Budokan, breaking the record previously held by The Beatles.

The setlist on the Rock and Roll Over tour were typically as follows:
  1. Detroit Rock City
  2. Take Me
  3. Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll
  4. Ladies Room
  5. Firehouse
  6. Makin' Love
  7. I Want You
  8. Cold Gin
  9. Do You Love Me?
  10. Nothin' To Lose
  11. God of Thunder
  12. Rock and Roll All Nite
Encores
  1. Shout It Out Loud
  2. Beth
  3. Black Diamond
Some other notable tunes from this album:

I Want You ... this song has always been one of my favorite tunes of theirs from this album and era of Kisstory:

Baby Driver ... the only song Peter Criss had song writing credits on, also sung by Peter.

Mr Speed ... Written/sung by Paul, very cool guitar groove on this tune

Makin' Love - Check out the video below.. this is a non-official video/promo of the song

The cover art from Rock and Roll Over was done by the same guy (Michael Doret) who did the cover art for their 2009 release,
Sonic Boom

200px-Rock_and_roll_over_cover.jpg 200px-Kiss_sonicboom111.jpg

Lynch

Reaction score

Love Gun, the band's 6th studio album, was released on June 30th, 1977. The album shipped platinum.

Love_gun_cover.jpg

Track Listing:

1. I Stole Your Love (3:04)
2. Christine Sixteen (3:14)
3. Got Love For Sale (3:29)
4. Shock Me (3:49)
5. Tomorrow and Tonight (3:40)
6. Love Gun (3:18)
7. Hooligan (3:01)
8. Almost Human (2:49)
9. Plaster Caster (3:27)
10. Then She Kissed Me (3:02)

The release of Love Gun along with the supporting tour is most likely when Kiss were at their all-time peak in popularity as well as arguably the biggest band in the world at the time. Love Gun was their third consecutive platinum album (eventually 3x platinum).

Love Gun marked a number of milestones for the band, both band "firsts" as well as "lasts". This was the first album that Ace Frehley actually stepped up to the mic and took lead vocals, writing and singing on the song Shock Me. The song was actually inspired by a true event that took place during the Rock and Roll Over tour where Ace Frehley was electrocuted during the opening song at a concert in Florida. He had touched a metal staircase railing which wasn't grounded properly and needless to say, was quite "shocked". That concert was delayed for about a half hour, but eventually continued. Afterward Ace is said to have had very little to no feeling in that hand for the rest of the concert.

Anyway, Shock Me is a song that would be a staple in Frehley concerts after leaving Kiss and is still a fan favorite to this day:

The song was also a big part of the reunion tour (starting in 1996) when Frehley's solo would come at the end of the song, where he used his classic smoking guitar as well as a guitar that shot rockets into the overhead lights. Very cool stuff to see if you were ever so lucky.

One of the "Lasts" I previously mentioned is that this is the last studio album of new material that featured ONLY the original four members of Kiss playing and performing on all tracks. I'll get to this more on the next couple of albums.

The tour included 3 sold out shows at the Los Angeles Forum which were recorded and used in the making of Kiss Alive II (their next release and second live album).

The title track, Love Gun, has been a staple in concert dating back to year that the album was released. The song is always a crowd pleaser. In concert I've seen the band perform this song in a variety of ways, including something that they've done quite a bit over the past 15 or so years, where the song starts and Paul Stanley jumps on a swing/rope/truss and is lifted out to the middle of the crowd and performs the song on a platform in the middle of the audience. Stanley has said that Love Gun is one of his alltime favorite Kiss songs. The song was released as a single and really didn't chart well (peaking at #61), but still pleases the crowds in concert. The song has also been referenced in the movie Role Models where Seann William Scott talks about the song saying it's a reference to Paul Stanley's penis.
:omg:

Here's a vid clip of Paul going out into the audience in 2000

Speaking of penises, the song Plaster Caster was inspired by Cynthia "Plaster" Caster, a groupie and lovechild in the 60's and early 70's who infamous for casting the penises of famous rock musicians, most notably being Jimi Hendrix.

A personal favorite of mine off of this album (aside from the title track and Shock Me) is I Stole Your Love!!! This song rocks from the first note to the last note. Good beat, good guitars, just all around good stuff!

The album closed out with a 'remake' of a song from 1963 by The Crystals, Then He Kissed Me, but of course they changed the title and a couple of words to make the song, Then She Kissed Me, sung by Paul Stanley.

The Love Gun Tour setlist:
  1. I Stole Your Love
  2. Take Me
  3. Ladies Room
  4. Firehouse
  5. Love Gun
  6. Hooligan
  7. Makin' Love
  8. Christine Sixteen
  9. Shock Me
  10. I Want You
  11. Calling Dr. Love