Dog Soldier

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Information : Plain and Fancy

Dog Soldier released one album..some really funky, bluesy rock.

IMG_0539.jpeg

Keef Hartley formed the band bringing together Mel Simpson keyboards/vocals, Miller Anderson vocals/guitar, Paul Bliss bass/vocals, Derek Griffiths guitar/vocals and Hartley on drums. Hartley a British drummer got his start when he was one of the drummers to replace Ringo Starr in the band Rory Storm and the Hurricanes in 1963 when Ringo left to join the Beatles. From the Hurricanes Hartley joined the Artwoods which was a band headed by Arthur Wood the oldest brother of Ronnie Wood of The bands Faces and Rolling Stones. Derek Griffiths was a member of Artwood with Hartley and Miller Anderson was a part of Keef Hartley Band and a member of Savoy Brown band in 1974.

Another member of Artwood was Jon Lord who went on to be a founding member of Deep Purple and Hartley went to John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. In the late 60s Hartley formed Keef Hartley Band and in 1969 it was one of the few British bands to play Woodstock Festival. The sole album of Dog Soldier was recorded between November 18 and December 15, 1974 and featured excellent material such as Pillar To Post , Thieves And Robbers and the twelve minute long Looks Like Rain.

Pilar to Post

Full Album

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Thanks @Magic. Been an avid follower of the Keef Hartley Band in it's various formations, especially the Gary Thain albums, which I really enjoyed. The album has some really nice keyboards and Keef Hartley's drumming is as great as ever. Miller Anderson's vocals are also reminiscent of the older Keef Hartley Band material. Never heard of this off-shoot band.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I’m going to snoop around for stuff by Artwood. I’m super curious as to what they did.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online