Kiss

joe

Reaction score
Re: KISS ~ Band of the Month ~ July 2010

Next up, the band's first live album, aptly and appropriately entitled
Alive! The album was released on Sept 10th, 1975.

Kiss_alive_album_cover.jpg

Track Listing: (LP style for those vinyl lovers in the audience)

Side A
1. Deuce (3:32)
2. Strutter (3:12)
3. Got to Choose (3:35)
4. Hotter Than Hell (3:11)
5. Firehouse (3:42)

Side B
1. Nothin' to Lose (3:23)
2. C'mon and Love Me (2:52)
3. Parasite (3:21)
4. She (6:42)

Side C
1. Watchin' You (3:51)
2. 100,000 Years (12:10)
3. Black Diamond (5:50)

Side D
1. Rock Bottom (4:59)
2. Cold Gin (5:43)
3. Rock and Roll All Nite (4:23)
4. Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll (5:45)

:rs:

Yes, Kiss did in fact release a double slab of vinyl on their first live album, the band's 4th release. The album obviously covers a number of songs from each of their first 3 studio releases. Interestingly enough, the total minutes of their first 3 studio albums was about 98 minutes. The length of Alive! was almost 75 minutes.

Initially the album sales were far less than desirable, however it didn't take long for the fans to catch on. As this album sold, Kiss said that they saw a very noticable difference in attendence at their live shows. Newer fans were introduced to the exciting live show that Kiss put on. Album sales soon took off and the album went gold by Dec '75. The album also stayed on the charts for over 2 years (109 weeks) ... longer than any other album in KISStory, peaking at #9 on the album charts. Wasn't the highest selling album by any means, but it did chart for a long time.

The first album I purchased when I was 10 years old. That started the mania of everthing Kiss for the next 3 years; LP's, posters, Kiss Army fan club, etc.

Rock'n'Roll Over was my favourite album with one of the best hard rock songs of all time, "I Want You".

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Destroyer, the 4th studio (5th overall) album by Kiss was released on March 15, 1976.

200px-Kiss_destroyer_album_cover.jpg

Track listing:

1. Detroit Rock City (5:17)
2. King of the Night Time World (3:19)
3. God of Thunder (4:13)
4. Great Expectations (4:24)
5. Flaming Youth (2:59)
6. Sweet Pain (3:20)
7. Shout It Out Loud (2:49)
8. Beth (2:45)
9. Do You Love Me? (3:40)

This album was a major turning point for the band. They were given more freedom in the studio, although at the time it didn't feel like it to them. They picked up producer Bob Ezrin for this album. Ezrin had produced a handful of albums for Alice Cooper as well as Aerosmith's Get Your Wings album. Kiss and Ezrin's vision didn't come together overnight. The production on this album far exceeded anything from the previous studio albums. Kiss used a children's choir (Brooklyn Boys Chrous), the New York Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra, various sound effects ... including a reversed drum track on God of Thunder.

Sales started off well, with the album going "gold" within 5 weeks of being released. The album peaked at #11 on the charts. The first three singles, however, didn't fair very well. Shout It Out Loud was the first single, followed by Flaming Youth and then Detroit Rock City. The B-side of Detroit Rock City was Beth. Once radio stations started playing this side of the single, it became a hit (unexectedly). Beth was later released as the 4th single on the album which peaked at #7 on the billboard charts. The highest of any Kiss single to date. The ballad helped boost album sales and within a couple of months, Destroyer went platinum, the first Kiss album to do so.

Bits of trivia:
  • Producer Bob Ezrin's kids (Josh and David) were the kids who do the speaking at the beginning of God of Thunder
  • Guitarist Dick Wagner (of Alice Cooper fame) played the acoustic guitar on Beth, and did the guitar solos on Sweet Pain as well as Flaming Youth.
  • God of Thunder has become Gene's "theme" song and has been for many years. Even though Gene sang this song and typically plays his bass solo as well as his blood spitting routine in concert during this song, it was actually written by Paul Stanley
A number of songs from this album have been staples in the live show for many years. God of Thunder during most of the makeup years following Destroyer, including the Reunion and post-reunion tours of the mid to late 90's and into the 2000's. Detroit Rock City has been a standard in nearly every single tour since 1976. Beth of course was used during the entire Peter Criss era, including the reuinion tours. Beth was actually "retired" after Peter left the band in 2003, up until recently where Eric Singer, the current "cat man" started singing it in concert. Shout It Out Loud is another song that was pretty standard in the 70's and again with the Reunion tours.

This album was the first of four straight platinum albums for Kiss. There are a lot of fans over the years list this album as their all-time favorite Kiss album.

Detroit Rock City

King of the Nightime World

God of Thunder

Flaming Youth

Shout It Out Loud

Beth

rtbuck

Reaction score

Destroyer is still my favorite album Cover of all-time.
There are so many great tracks on the album but my favorite is "King of the Night Time World.

rtbuck

Reaction score

Cool MP!! I think it was from a Rock Scene magazine with Johnny Rotten on the cover. I wish I had more of my magazines from back then. I used to cut out the Kiss stuff in them & put them in scrap books

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online