Kiss

MusicMistress

Reaction score
Re: KISS ~ Band of the Month ~ July 2010

I can't recall my first Kiss album or my first Kiss experience *too many to mention and a lack of active brain cells*. I do recall my first DVD, though.

22dicy.jpg

as you can see there is a pretty awesome set list.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

KISS TO PERFORM ON 'THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO'

KISSONLINE

KISS will perform live on 'The Tonight Show with Jay Leno' on Monday, July 19. The Tonight Show airs on NBC TV at 11:35/10:35c each weeknight.

Also KiSSteria Special on A&E July 20.
Ooh, looking forward to the Leno show. I don't have A&E, so if anyone finds out of a say, YOUTUBE copy of that, or wants to take and DVD it for me, I'd be grateful. :D

thanks for the info.

Lynch

Reaction score

Commercially, Kiss' 2nd album, Hotter Than Hell was a flop. The record company was desperate to get these guys into the public's eye and forced the band back into the studio and off of the Hotter Than Hell tour. The result was their third album, Dressed To Kill, released on March 19th, 1975.

Dressed_to_Kill_%28album%29_cover.jpg

Track Listing:
1. Room Service (2:59)
2. Two Timer (2:47)
3. Ladies in Waiting (2:35)
4. Getaway (2:43)
5. Rock Bottom (3:54)
6. C'mon and Love Me (2:57)
7. Anything for My Baby (2:35)
8. She (4:08)
9. Love Her All I Can (2:40)
10. Rock and Roll All Nite (2:49)

Different from both of the first two albums in a couple of ways, Dressed To Kill was also unique in that the production team of Wise and Kerner (from both of the first two albums) were not included. This time around, the band themselves and Neil Bogart, head of Casablanca Records produced the album. The reason being was that the budget was tight and the label simply figured they couldn't bring in outside producers.

Another thing about this album that is that is a bit different is that the album is shorter than the previous two. The debut album was over 35 minutes long, Dressed to Kill was clocked it at just barely over 30 minutes long.

Originally, this album was released in March 1975, just a couple of weeks after recording. Again, Bogart and Casablanca were pushing to get Kiss radio time. Rock and Roll All Nite (RnRAN from here on out)and C'mon and Love Me were the only 2 real singles released on this album and neither one did very well, at least not at first. Rock and Roll All Nite was actually written around the time that the band was recording their second album, and was even sung in concert prior to being recorded and released on their third album.

I've seen/read reports numerous times over the years that Neil Bogart told the band that they needed a "theme" song and basically told them that they had to come up with something. That song ended up being RnRAN, although as I said above, it didn't do very well the first time around. RnRAN was released early April (just a couple of weeks after Dressed To Kill was shipped) and did chart better than Kissin' Time had from their first album, it was still a disappointment. C'mon and Love Me also failed to make any waves on the billboard charts.

Kiss toured for Dressed To Kill as they had for the previous albums. Again a short tour, however there was some gold that came out of this tour. The band recorded a handful of the shows. Those recordings ended up being the fodder needed and used in their follow up live album, Alive!. (More on that later). Using these live recordings also gave them their first real hit single, a live re-release of RnRAN. The song climbed the charts and almost cracked the Top 10, reaching #12.

Rock and Roll All Nite has turned into that "theme song" that Bogart was hoping for. The song has been a staple in concert ever since and has been referred to as "The Rock and Roll National Anthem". Chances are that even people who don't know anything about the band Kiss know of this song.

(more in the next post)

Lynch

Reaction score

Some personal thoughts and opinions on Dressed To Kill....

Well, let me say this, I wanted to keep album facts and my own personal opinions separate in this BotM thread, but I had a very hard time doing that, especially concerning this album. The reason being, this album has long been one of my all-time favorite rock albums, not just by Kiss but by any artist.

To me, this album epitomizes the term "short but sweet". None of the songs are long, both sides of the album a quick 15 minutes a pop, but the material (the music more than anything) was something I really connected with as a kid and still do 30 years later. In my opinion, this album really shows off the raw talent that Kiss had at that time. The production value again is hardly award winning (although not as cheap sounding as Hotter Than Hell was); but, the result sounds great. It's stripped down, raw, and very little "flash" as we started to see on the albums that followed. I'm not sure how to put a good description of this album into words. But I'll try just the same. :flirt

There's a major/common theme on this album, being sex (or women). The songs seem to have a lot of "love 'em and leave 'em" lyrics. If you don't like that, then stop reading here and move on to the next album, perhaps the next group. Kiss has had a sexual theme in a LOT of their music over the years, this isn't breaking news.

Anyway, aside from the lyrics, the music has always hit me different than any other album of theirs. I can feel the Beatles on this album. I can feel other influences they had from the british invasion, as well as early prog rock. The album doesn't sound proggy at all, but I've always just thought I could feel it there.

Aside from all of that, the BIGGEST reason that I love this album, more than almost any other Kiss album is because of Ace Frehley's guitar work. He sounds fantastic on this album. As pointed out already, the entire band sounds much rawer and maybe 'dirtier' on this album than maybe any other album they ever did and I think a lot of that is due to Ace's playing.

My personal review of the better songs on the album:

1) Room Service - A very fun starting track. The song moves along at a quick pace. Paul's vocals sound very NY'ish (to me) which always makes me chuckle. You can hear this quite a bit in the talking interaction with the audience in Alive! as well, but that's another topic. The solo in this song is short but sweet but has a good feel to it and the bass groove under the solo is almost head-boppy. Just all around enjoyable.

2) Two Timer - a bit more of a darker tune about a woman that's out running around. The title (chorus) of the song gets repeated a LOT, but it works in the song without sounding like it's repetative. Again, the best part of this song is Frehley's short solo.

4) Getaway - Written solely by Ace, but again too afraid of his own voice so he hands it over to Peter. Pete's rhaspy vocals work great on this song. Again (do I have to keep saying it?) Ace's solo is great. As was the case all too much on this album, the solo is quite short, but it fits well with the rest of the tune which is a good rockin' track, ending with a simple little bluesy chord progression. Thumbs up.

5) Rock Bottom - one of my two favorite tracks on this album! The song starts with one acoustic guitar, soon followed by a second acoustic guitar. Written by Ace and Paul, the acoustic intro is slightly separate by the rockin' part of the song. A good groove once the bass kicks in. Again, perfect little solo by Ace (yeah, I'm going to keep giving him kudos.. barf bag is in the back of the room off to the left).

6) C'mon and Love Me - a song that was one of my favorite Kiss tunes for many years (but still is). I just love the tone of the guitar, it sounds old school and dirty even though it really wasn't old school at the time. Simple lyrics, nothing to make people ponder life. Who cares. Good tune.

8) She - My favorite track on this album and probably my #2 favorite Kiss song of all time, just barely behind Black Diamond (from the first album and Alive!). I really can't even describe what it is I like about this song. It's the parts. It's the sum. It's the solo. Its' the lyrics, the feel, the groove. Hell, it's a complete song. It's funny hearing the song as it ended up as opposed to how it first started as a song with flute in it (back in the Wicked Lester days when Gene co-wrote this song with Stephen Coronell). The solo switches back and forth between guitar, bass, then a combo of the two, with Ace kicking it up a notch. Easily the best solo on this album and dare I say one of the best if not THE best guitar solo Ace ever did with Kiss. (someone find me a better one and we'll arm wrestle over it). The song is dark but still kinda kicks ya right in the boo-boo. 10 out of 10 stars here!!!

9) Love Her All I Can - another song that reminds me of early rock and roll and how it influenced these guys. To me, it always has kind of a boogie woogie feel to it, while still being Kiss. Good stuff. Again, along with nearly every other tune on the album, a really cool Ace Frehley solo. Probably one of the better ones on the album (but of course, it's not "She" which is easily #1)

I skipped a couple of the "filler" songs because I just don't have enough to say about them. On to the last song on the album... the song that everyone knows.. the song that made them a household name (dare I say that?).... the song that has been dubbed the official Rock and Roll National Anthem.

Rock and Roll All Nite. The song was written by both Gene and Paul (something that really didn't happen very often over the course of 35+ years). When listening to this song in it's rawest form, which of course is this album, it's a good song, for what it is. When I personally compare it to the rest of their body of work, it doesn't hold a candle. It is what it is, which is a catchy tune that makes ya bounce up a down a bit, raise your fist in the air and sing. Probably one of the 3 weakest songs on the album (in my own opinion). Still good. Also sort of funny, this is the only song on the album that doesn't include an Ace Frehley solo.

Maybe that's why I don't like it as much :heheh: . Seriously though the studio version of this song has no solo, unlike what you'll hear on any live album or see them play on stage, which always has a solo in it.

Bottom line, this album is fantastic. If you don't own it, that's fine, but you owe it to yourself to check it out if you aren't a die-hard fan, but still dig classic rock. If you are only a moderate/occasional Kiss fan, pick this up. Seriously, I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Two thumbs WAAAAAAY up!

Lynch

Reaction score

A couple of fun pictures. First is the back album cover, where
the picture is a negative of the of the cover.

kissd2kback.jpg

This is the actual photo used for the cover, before touchups
and effects changes, cropping, etc.

dressed2kill1.jpg

Here is the band with the guy that actually took the cover
photo (above), Bob Gruen
kissd2kbill1.jpg

Little piece of trivia, only Peter owned his own suit at the time.
The other members were all wearing a suit owned by Bill Aucoin,
the band's manager. One thing I've never been completely sure
about regarding the photo is if Peter was wearing his own suit
for the photo, or was he also wearing one of Bill's like the other
three guys? *shrug*

By the way, to put a couple of faces to names, here is a picture of Bill
with the band. Bill is furthest to the left. The guy and gal to the right
are Joyce and Neil Bogart.

BillandKissBW.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Nice DTK write up man!!! I dig what you're saying on Lover Her All I can...but more so than the boogie aspect of the song I've always heard or taken from it a spanish side to the song.

An inner city , Low Rider feel to it. I can see the hopping hood and everything when I'm listening to it.

low_rider.gif

low-rider.jpg

Lynch

Reaction score

Nice DTK write up man!!! I dig what you're saying on Lover Her All I can...but more so than the boogie aspect of the song I've always heard or taken from it a spanish side to the song.

An inner city , Low Rider feel to it. I can see the hopping hood and everything when I'm listening to it.

low_rider.gif
Yeah, that's not a bad way of putting it at all. In fact, quite accurate! :cheers2

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Yeah I can see it being blasted through their 8-Track player! :heheh:

:grinthumb

cheechandchong.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member