Kiss

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Re: KISS ~ Band of the Month ~ July 2010

That's funny, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Cheech and Chong groovin' to some old school Kiss. AHahaha.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

My first KISS album was ALIVE. My hot cheerleader babysitter, from down the street, gave me it. I don't think her parents approved of it. I fell in love with that album and played it constantly.

Are you sure it wasn't your babysitter with whom you were really in love?

:huh:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

''Two Timer'', ''Getaway'', ''She'', ''Rock Bottom'' , ''C'mon and Love Me'', ''Love Her All I Can'' etc...all great tunes.

''Dressed to Kill'' is one of the best Kiss albums, for sure...

I just remembered they re-released the first three Kiss studio album (after Alive! was a huge success) as a 3 record set, called ''The Originals''....

hdgtt.png

Lynch

Reaction score

''Two Timer'', ''Getaway'', ''She'', ''Rock Bottom'' , ''C'mon and Love Me'', ''Love Her All I Can'' etc...all great tunes.

''Dressed to Kill'' is one of the best Kiss albums, for sure...

I just remembered they re-released the first three Kiss studio album (after Alive! was a huge success) as a 3 record set, called ''The Originals''....
yes indeed they did. I actually have The Originals. It's pretty beat up as I listened to those albums a LOT back in the day and was more interested in spinning those records over keeping the cardboard sleeves all crisp and neat. The vinyl is still in good shape, but ya know.. I wore that shit out as much as I could.

:cheers2

They also released The Originals II which was Destroyer, RnR Over and Love Gun. I never got that one. I think (and I could be wrong here) that it was an import here in the US.

Lynch

Reaction score

Next up, the band's first live album, aptly and appropriately entitled
Alive! The album was released on Sept 10th, 1975.

Kiss_alive_album_cover.jpg

Track Listing: (LP style for those vinyl lovers in the audience)

Side A
1. Deuce (3:32)
2. Strutter (3:12)
3. Got to Choose (3:35)
4. Hotter Than Hell (3:11)
5. Firehouse (3:42)

Side B
1. Nothin' to Lose (3:23)
2. C'mon and Love Me (2:52)
3. Parasite (3:21)
4. She (6:42)

Side C
1. Watchin' You (3:51)
2. 100,000 Years (12:10)
3. Black Diamond (5:50)

Side D
1. Rock Bottom (4:59)
2. Cold Gin (5:43)
3. Rock and Roll All Nite (4:23)
4. Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll (5:45)

:rs:

Yes, Kiss did in fact release a double slab of vinyl on their first live album, the band's 4th release. The album obviously covers a number of songs from each of their first 3 studio releases. Interestingly enough, the total minutes of their first 3 studio albums was about 98 minutes. The length of Alive! was almost 75 minutes.

Initially the album sales were far less than desirable, however it didn't take long for the fans to catch on. As this album sold, Kiss said that they saw a very noticable difference in attendence at their live shows. Newer fans were introduced to the exciting live show that Kiss put on. Album sales soon took off and the album went gold by Dec '75. The album also stayed on the charts for over 2 years (109 weeks) ... longer than any other album in KISStory, peaking at #9 on the album charts. Wasn't the highest selling album by any means, but it did chart for a long time.

Lynch

Reaction score

My own personal feelings on this album? Best live album ever. Obviously I say that as a huge Kiss fan and people will say I'm crazy. Maybe. But that won't stop me from my love of this album.

Of all of the live albums I've listened to over the years, I doubt there's an album that even comes close in number of times played to this album. Alive! (and Dressed to Kill) were the two biggest influences on me when I wanted to start playing guitar. there were other albums that fed my desire to play, but NOTHING fed it like Alive. Biggest reason would be Ace Frehley, who is lights-out incredible on this album. The playing rocks, the solos rock, everything I've ever loved about Frehley can be heard on this album.

I am not going to do a song-by-song breakdown because I love every single track on this album. For me, the highlights can be found in 4 tracks. Interestingly enough, the 4 tracks play back to back to back to back....
  • She (6:42)
  • Watchin' You (3:51)
  • 100,000 Years (12:10)
  • Black Diamond (5:50)
She, as pointed out in the Dressed To Kill summary thread, is my 2nd favorite Kiss tune. Favorite being Black Diamond. Both of those tracks on this album are INCREDIBLE. Everything about them from the first note to the last note, awesome.

She ends with an Ace Frehley solo that still gives me goosebumps once in a while. not because he was so technically awesome, I'll never say that about Ace, but the feel that I get from it just gets me.

Watching You, I'll be honest and say I like this version better than the original (and I love the original). Everything about it sounds great. Two thumbs way up!

100,000 Years - wow, what to say about this one. From the start with Gene's bass to the dual guitars. The solo rocks. Then we get to hear something we rarely heard on a Kiss album and that's some real talent from Peter Criss. I'm not saying Criss wasn't any good, but we really get to hear a gem from him in a long drum solo. Then after the drum solo, we get banter from Paul getting the audience going. Fun stuff. great song from start to finish.

Black Diamond - My favorite version of my favorite Kiss song. The start similar to the original version on their debut album. Paul is spot on with that intro, then once he yells HIT IT, the song kicks into high gear. Gene's bass, Ace's guitar work, Peter's rhaspy singing, it's all fantastic. The solo, the dual solo, etc. Damn people, I can't really put into words how cool this song is. Best song on the entire album and for me personally, the best single track in their entire catalogue. Many may argue otherwise, but you can't convince me that they ever layed down a better track (and I love most everything the band ever did).

If you dont' listen to ANYTHING else on this album, you deserve to give these 4 songs a listen. Don't be scared, don't be shy. If you are a casual Kiss fan and only know RnR All Nite off of this album, you OWE it to yourself to listen to more of it.

Lynch

Reaction score

By the way, one interesting sidenote regarding this album... particularly the song Rock and Roll All Nite. As I pointed out in the Dressed To Kill post, this song doesn't have a guitar solo in it, anywhere. However the live version from Alive! features a 'solo' at the end of the song, funny thing about it is that it's actually the ending of the song Getaway, another song from Dressed to Kill.

When Rock and Roll All Night (Live) became a hit single and the band's signature song, the solo stayed and they've included that 'solo' at the end of the song ever since.

rtbuck

Reaction score

yes indeed they did. I actually have The Originals. It's pretty beat up as I listened to those albums a LOT back in the day and was more interested in spinning those records over keeping the cardboard sleeves all crisp and neat. The vinyl is still in good shape, but ya know.. I wore that shit out as much as I could.

:cheers2

They also released The Originals II which was Destroyer, RnR Over and Love Gun. I never got that one. I think (and I could be wrong here) that it was an import here in the US.

I think you're right Lynch, from what I remember 'The Originals 2' was only released in Japan as far as I know. I always wanted 'The Originals 2' but could never find it as an import in my area(by the late 80's they started having record shows in my area & I did see copies for sale but they were selling them for over 100 bucks). There was a second pressing of the Originals out there with the only minor difference being the record sleeves (on the 2nd pressing the sleeves were a shinier paper).

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Another cool write up here. Really enjoyed reading your thoughts on ALIVE! Cool call on the Getaway/RnRAN connection!!! :grinthumb

Lynch

Reaction score

Going to have to put this on hold for a couple of days as I'll be mostly offline. I'll pick up with the Destroyer and the next couple of albums at that time.

:)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online