Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: KISS ~ Band of the Month ~ July 2010

For my thirsty super Beagle buddy...:grinthumb

The best American beer I have ever tasted, I'll bring this to the party for one of the most famous bands and dedicated fans of any rock group in history.:hab:

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.

I joined the KISS army when I was a kid. I used to jam Alive on the stereo, we had one of those big wooden cabinet things. When nobody was home, I used to air guitar for like hours to that album. Once, my cousin slept over. We had this clown make up set. so we painted our faces, he was gene, I don't remember who I was. We made guitars out of cardboard. Then we cranked KISS Alive, and air guitared like a couple of dorks. A lot of people think of KISS as a joke, or just flash and no substance. As I got older, for a while I was one of them. But KISS has really good songs, and Paul, Gene and Peter sing great.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Lynch said:
Kiss rose from the ashes of the band that Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley were previously in before Kiss, Wicked Lester.

Wicked Lester is a very cool name!

:grinthumb

Tomcat said:
... stereo, we had one of those big wooden cabinet things.

Those console stereos were beautiful. And some of them could sound decent, although not really great.

Attachments

• A console.jpg
    A console.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 36

Lynch

Reaction score

So as I was talking about a couple of posts ago, the band picked up it's recording contract with Neil Bogart and Casablanca Records. The band went into the recording studio in Oct '73 and finished the record in 2-3 weeks (depending on the source ... 13 to 21 days). The eponymously titled debut album hit the shelves on Feb 18th, 1974

Kiss_first_album_cover.jpg

For the album cover ... Ace, Gene and Paul all did their own makeup as they had been while playing gigs through 1973, but Peter had his makeup professionally done. He wasn't happy with it and aside from this album cover, (supposedly) never use the red makeup again, going back to the style that most of us are used to seeing him on. Ace decided to spraypaint his hair silver figuring that the paint would wash out, which didn't work out the way he planned. It took weeks for the paint to come out of his hair.

The cover shot is vaguely similar to the Beatles album cover, With The Beatles, which was done on purpose. The track listing originally only included 9 songs... the 10th song (track 6 - Kissin' Time) was recorded in April '74 due to the album sales being poor and Neil Bogart looking for a possible hit single. Kissin' Time was a hit for Bobby Rydel back in the last 1950's. The song was released as a single in May and was added to the track list when the album was re-released in July of that year, against the band's wishes.

Track Listing
1. Strutter (3:10)
2. Nothin' to Lose (3:27)
3. Firehouse (3:17)
4. Cold Gin (4:22)
5. Let Me Know (2:58)
6. Kissin' Time (3:52) *
7. Deuce (3:06)
8. Love Theme from Kiss (2:24) **
9. 100,000 Years (3:22)
10. Black Diamond (5:13)

* Other than Kissin' Time, all of the songs on the album were written by the four members of Kiss. By that, I mean that all 4 members wrote the various songs on the album, not that they wrote each track together as a group.

** Love Theme From Kiss is the only Kiss song that has songwriting credits by all 4 of the original members.

-- -- --

The band actually started their tour a few weeks before the album was released. The tour lasted from January 1974 to October of 1974. The band took a few weeks off in August to record their second album, Hotter Than Hell, then went back on the road immediately after. All in all (and from information I can find), the band played 80+ gigs in support of their first album, although I've read numbers as high as 120+ gigs. Not bad for a band that most people (at the time) had never heard of.

Also notable, Cold Gin was written by Ace and was the first recorded song that Frehley contributed to the band. Ace was not comfortable with his own singing voice and the vocal duties were handed over to Gene. To this day, 35+ years later, Cold Gin has been a staple in nearly every tour since the very beginning. As a matter of fact, a number of songs off of the first album have been included as a 'standard' for many of their tours in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's. Cold Gin, Strutter, Firehouse, and Black Diamond have all been highly featured tracks on most tours.

Black Diamond, being a song that has gone through a few changes over the years in concert, has been a fan favorite since the start. The song begins with Paul singing the intro and playing guitar by himself before the song kicks into high gear and Peter Criss takes over the lead vocals. After Peter left the band in 1980, Eric Carr took over the vocals on Black Diamond. When Carr passed away in 1991 after a battle with cancer, Eric Singer took over the drum duties with the band and also picked up the vocals on this song.

Lynch

Reaction score

1973 was a busy year for Kiss. They released their first album, toured in the spring, summer and into the fall of that year in support of the first album, taking off time in August to record their second album, then getting back on the road. Their second album, Hotter Than Hell, was released on Oct 22nd, 1974. The band originally wanted to call the album, The Harder They Come.

Cover_hth_large.jpg

Track Listing:
1. Got to Choose (3:54)
2. Parasite (3:02)
3. Goin' Blind (3:37)
4. Hotter Than Hell (3:30)
5. Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll (2:15)
6. All the Way (3:18)
7. Watchin' You (3:44)
8. Mainline (3:50)
9. Comin' Home (2:38)
10. Strange Ways (3:18)

The Cover Art:

The cover obviously features Japanese-styled artwork, including Japanese characters/letters both next to each of the band members' names as well as in each of the upper corners. Ace's name, however, is spelled incorrectly and if properly translated from Japanese to English, would spell Ace Fury.

:heheh:

As the story goes, the photo session for the front and back cover pictures were all taken on the same night at some party. Gene was the only one who was not drunk. Paul (reportedly) was so drunk they had to lock him up. If you look at Paul's right arm on the cover, it's easy to see that he needed to hold onto Peter, as well as Peter needed to hold him up just to get through the group shot.

cheer.gif

Another fun fact about the cover, Ace's makeup was airbrushed after-the-fact due to a facial injury he had incurred in an auto accident not long beforehand and he couldn't wear makeup on that area.

Here is the design that was originally created by John Van Hamersveld for the back cover:

hthlithorig1.jpg

You can see how it was changed/evolved to include a bit of all 4 members' makeup designs when finally used on the back cover:

hthlithoalb.jpg

The Music Itself:

The band decided to use the production team from the first album, Richie Wise and Ken Kerner. The sound on this album is quite a bit different from their first album. Wise and Kerner had moved from NYC where the first album was recorded out to LA. The band flew out to LA to record the album but have said that they did not care for LA at all. Even one of Paul's guitar's was stolen the first day they were in LA.

The album itself has a much darker sound and feel to it. The lyrics are darker as well. Goin' Blind was written Simmons and fellow Wicked Lester bandmate Stephen Coronel (obviously prior to the transition of Wicked Lester to Kiss). The album also includes two more songs written solely by Ace Frehley, but again, Ace handed over the vocal duties to Gene and Peter. The two songs are Parasite (sung by Gene) and Strange Ways (sung by Peter).

Album Sales and Tour:

The album itself sold poorly after it's release and there wasn't even a single to push. Supposedly part of the blame goes to Warner Brothers and Casablanca's distribution deal had ended and Casablanca didn't have a big name to push and promote the album like they had on the band's debut release. The only song that was actually released as a 'single' was Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll, but the song never actually placed on the charts. The tour was much shorter than the previous tour due to the slow album sales and the record company basically forced the band to get back into the studio to work on their next album. The numbers that I've seen range from 50 to 60 total dates, which is about half of the previous tour.

Some of the most well known songs from this album and songs that would be used on tours for many years would be: the title track, Hotter Than Hell, Parasite, Watchin' You and Let Me Go, Rock 'n Roll. The album eventually gained "gold" status in 1977.

Lynch

Reaction score

So for anyone out there keeping track, the band actually wasn't too successful yet by this point. The first album shipped well, but didn't sell particularly well after that. The second album did much worse than the first. Would Kiss make it!?

(do I really have to answer that question?) ;)

Lynch

Reaction score

Lynch said:
The Music Itself:

The sound on this album is quite a bit different from their first album.
I love this album, don't get me wrong and don't let anyone tell you otherwise... but in my opinion, the recording on this album sounds like they were playing in a closet. The first album sounds pretty clean and crisp, especially for a band's first album, but this one sounds muffled. Not sure if the studio it was recorded in just sucked butt compared to the first studio, or if it was a lack of funds or something else. Great music, but just not a very good recording.

JM2CW

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online