John Mayer

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
you make very thoughtful and insightful posts aeroplane. You can't talk about an artist's/band's success without mention timing and era. In this era it is extremely different to make it as a musician just to make a living. Trust me I am going through that right now. Downloading has totally changed the landscape of the entire music industry. It has created a culture where bands/artists are writing singles not albums. They are writing 5 singles to put on a myspace age. From experience and many musicians will tell you this when you try to right singles the quallity usually suffers. Tons of the artists that are featured a lot on this forum could not survive today. The artist was already getting ripped with cd royalty deals, but itunes/amazon will screw you over even more.

Without making this a lovefest, you put up thoughtful and insightful stuff, too, so the feeling is mutual there and thanks for the compliment.

Replying directly to your post:

No doubt. There are a number of very successful bands who sold rather poorly with their debut album.

In some cases, it was their first two albums that didn't sell well, as there are plenty of bands who eventually became successful but didn't even start selling a lot of records until their third album.

Aerosmith's first album didn't sell a great deal of copies. I don't believe the first Genesis, Journey or Deep Purple albums did either. Pretty sure the first couple of Whitesnake and Scorpions albums had slow sales. Same with ZZ Top, Bryan Adams, Tom Petty, etc.

Yet back in that particular era, a record label would tend to stick with a band or artist for at least three or four albums before cutting bait.

Nowadays, bands in that same situation would be cut from a label after the first album flopped and you'd most likely never hear from them again.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I'm going to give this thread a bump. John Mayer was one of my favorite artists in high school and I've recently become reacquainted with his music. I have Room for Squares and Heavier Things but have heard nothing but good things about Continuum and plan to purchase that one. There was a big difference in his first 2 albums in my opinion. Heavier Things was much more mellow in overall tone and flow. I listened to Room for Squares when I wanted to hear something more pop-influenced and upbeat. Not sure how I feel about the statement that he's a blues guitarist, unless his style has changed drastically since I was heavily into his stuff. No denying he's more skilled than some of the more sloppy guitarists out there but I agree he does come off as a douche with his "sexual napalm" TMI comments and player demeanor. I tend to not let that discredit his capabilites in my mind though and if guitar legends want to play alongside him, I'd say that's a huge compliment and makes him worthy of a little praise. I also think artists who play their own instruments are hard to come by these days so that sets John ahead of the majority of his pop peers in today's music.

Why Georgia

3x5

Some good fingerwork on this one with a bluesy vibe.
Neon

From Heavier Things...

My favorite from this album
Something's Missing

Split Screen Sadness

Home Life

I have a strained relationship with my father but regardless Daughters is a good song and one of his more popular despite the memories it brings with it.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
John Mayer Release New Video For 'Who You Love'

Video features a duet with Katy Perry and the couple getting intimate for the camera.

"This is the first time we've put ourselves out there, specifically for this video," Katy said on GMA.

"We set up the casting call for real couples," Mayer added of the video, which features several pairs of lovers getting romantic. The vid also included shots of Mayer and Perry riding a mechanical bull.

"There was nothing scripted in that video, except putting the bull in the middle of the desert," he said.

"Who You Love" is a single from Mayer's sixth studio album, Paradise Valley.

RttNews.com

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I can't say I'm fond of their being together but hey if it works for them, I wish them the best of luck. John doesn't have the best track record but there's a first time for everything, maybe they can stay together.

I'm not fond of Mayer generally, more because I dislike him as a person than because of his music. But either way I can't help but to admit, the song he wrote to attack Taylor Swift, Paper Doll, is a darn clever song and I quite like it.

Especially for Taylor fans like me, all the little references in the song to Taylor and lyrics from her songs is pretty cool.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online