John Mayer

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
John Mayer is a very talented songwriter, performer and guitarist. He started of as an acoustic rocker and in recent years has morphed into a blues guitarist playing along side greats like Eric Clapton and B.B. King. My favorite albums of his is Room For Squares and Continuum.

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
I was wondering the other day when a thread on this guy would pop up and low and behold here it is.

He can play guitar decent, I can't deny that, but he's an asshole. He's way too in love with himself. I think he's a disgrace to blues guitar. I see him as a poser, and not a very good one. Again, I'm not knocking his playing, he plays good. It's Mayer himself that turns my stomach. It truly pains me to watch his vids. He's such a dweeb. I just made myself watch these vids and I must say, he's no Clapton or Buddy Guy, or the like; he's not remotely close to them. John Mayer is as bubble gum a blues player as I have ever seen; that sums him up for me, bubble gum and a poser, and thats why I can't handle him.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Magic is a far bigger fan of blues guitarists than I am and I can't say I know anything about John Mayer except his...romantic exploits which he seems to think are what we all want to hear about.:nw:

Still nice to see you writing threads again Greg, it's a sure sign the seasons are changing.:cheers2

Fever

Reaction score
I love blues guitar players but the songs I have heard by Mayer tend to lean towards pop.He might be a good guitar player but his songs do nothing for me.
I prefer the likes of Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Jonny Lang.

I like this new kid I saw open for REO Speedwagon-name is Tyler Bryant and he is 19 and from Texas.When he was 16 he won the Robert Johnson Gibson New Generation Award for aspiring young blues artists.

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
i dont see john mayer as a blues guitarist. He is a pop singer with exceptional songwriting skills that well thow in a blues proression here and there. He has a great sense of melody and song structure. He was originally just this acoustic singer songwriter which i think fits him best. Yes he has gotten full with himself and so does most people with fame.

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
I was wondering the other day when a thread on this guy would pop up and low and behold here it is.

He can play guitar decent, I can't deny that, but he's an asshole. He's way too in love with himself. I think he's a disgrace to blues guitar. I see him as a poser, and not a very good one. Again, I'm not knocking his playing, he plays good. It's Mayer himself that turns my stomach. It truly pains me to watch his vids. He's such a dweeb. I just made myself watch these vids and I must say, he's no Clapton or Buddy Guy, or the like; he's not remotely close to them. John Mayer is as bubble gum a blues player as I have ever seen; that sums him up for me, bubble gum and a poser, and thats why I can't handle him.

He has the respect of greats like King and Clapton that they would agree to play with him. They didn't have to play with him.

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
He has the respect of greats like King and Clapton that they would agree to play with him. They didn't have to play with him.

I know and it's sickening, and I don't get it. There are plenty of other guys that deserve that shot instead of Mayer. I'd rather have that Bryant kid playing with Clapton. I only saw one or two vids of him, but I like him. He plays great and has a good sense of humor. There's also a guy, Gino Matteo, who was in Guitar Centers King of the Blues competition, and he's excellent, and a true blues guy, unlike Bub Daddy Mayer.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
He's certainly not the best blues guitarist going around, but that don't mean he's not good. I've got two of his albums, and the others are on my wish list. I'm particularly fond of his latest album Battle Studies

The second one is an interesting cover that, while it doesn't hold a light to the versions by Robert Johnson, Cream or Lynyrd Skynyrd, it's still worth a place in my library IMO.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Also, I will admit his ego is sky high, but then, you could really say the same thing about John Lennon, and many other musicians over the journey.

While that doesn't make it excusable, it does go to show that his music could still be quite enjoyable :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I don't know what it is besides limited time Feldy, but I don't have any desire to listen to Mayer's music,,,I have to agree about the "Celebrity Syndrome" he seems to have going on now, which afflicts almost all the most famous artists for some reason. They could all learn from Ronnie James Dio, carried himself with class treated other people with respect and the Only time he asserted his dominance was when he was on stage fronting his various bands, at that point he would say "That's My Stage"...:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.