John Mayer

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
Also, I will admit his ego is sky high, but then, you could really say the same thing about John Lennon, and many other musicians over the journey.

While that doesn't make it excusable, it does go to show that his music could still be quite enjoyable :)

He is NOTHING compared to Lennon, there is NO comparison here, so that example doesn't hold water. Lennon had every right to be arrogant, but not this little manufactured ***** Mayer...He can **** himself in the ass with the neck of his strat as far as I'm concerned.

He's good, but he's not that good, and he's certainly nothing outstanding. And he has NO right to be on stage with Clapton, or BB King...That's just sacrilege plain and simple.

Mayer could actually make playing guitar seem uncool. I think that's a first in the history of blues and rock. I mean how can a guitar be uncool? Yet in the hands of this poser, the guitar approches the same level of lameness as the accordion.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
He is NOTHING compared to Lennon, there is NO comparison here, so that example doesn't hold water. Lennon had every right to be arrogant, but not this little manufactured ***** Mayer...He can **** himself in the ass with the neck of his strat as far as I'm concerned.

He's good, but he's not that good, and he's certainly nothing outstanding. And he has NO right to be on stage with Clapton, or BB King...That's just sacrilege plain and simple.

Mayer could actually make playing guitar seem uncool. I think that's a first in the history of blues and rock. I mean how can a guitar be uncool? Yet in the hands of this poser, the guitar approches the same level of lameness as the accordion.

Well Clapton seems to think otherwise. Also kind of ridiculous to flame this thread like that.

Don't like him don't comment that simple.

I'm not a fan of his pop stuff at all, but I still think the stuff with the Trio is pretty good. I like and hate some bands, but I am not going to flame the hell out of the thread.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
He has the respect of greats like King and Clapton that they would agree to play with him. They didn't have to play with him.

I don't know about Clapton, but B.B. King is the type of guy that seems like he would be open to jamming with just about anyone simply because he enjoys playing period. He doesn't seem like a snob or egomaniac and comes across as the type of guy who would pull an eighteen year old kid out of the audience and hand him a guitar if the kid had any idea how to play. So King wouldn't have any problem playing with Mayer.

Of course when you bring Clapton into the equation, he is the type who doesn't seem to mind getting his name into the press either.

To make a comparison, I find it hard to believe Carlos Santana respected everybody who appeared with him on recent albums like Supernatural that helped restore his commercial success. When he isn't in the studio, Santana sits around in interviews bashing numerous other musicians for reasons that have always been unclear.

For example, there was a 2 year period where every interview he did with the press turned into personal and professional attacks on Gene Simmons from Kiss, which came out of nowhere since they never had a prior association with one another. He buried Simmons in numerous interviews, unsolicited I might add.

With Carlos Santana, it seems like an agent or record label exec told him to perform with those people for the Supernatural album as it would help him commercially. Then he went in and did it whether he liked them or not.

Going back to Clapton, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same sort of thing.

Another random example:

I'm pretty sure most of the country musicians Kid Rock has been performing with on stage and on cd over the past 7-8 years don't really respect him but they do enjoy the increased attention they are getting and the royalty checks that come out of it.

Last edited:

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score

how can you say he is good but then call him a poser? Poser? really? There is no one that sounds like him vocally. When i was making this thread i never said he was some kind of guitar god. As the complete package of great songwriter, good guitarist, very good live performer. Yes he has let fame get to his head and so has countles other artists with less talent than Mayer.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^TC gets just a little excited at times Greg, for me I am just not a fan of his music...or put another way I have Way more other artists/bands I want to listen to and time is at a premium in my case.:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Not bad but I prefer Last Audio myself.:grinthumb

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
^^Not bad but I prefer Last Audio myself.:grinthumb

thanks for the plug/compliment. I am having a battle with my label about a royality deal. They are trying to reall low ball me. Unfortunately I will not release my album unitll something is settled:mad

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online