Jack Bruce slams Simon Cowell

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I agree what Jack Bruce said in a way, but...

I think that contestants knew before hand, what Simon Cowell was about.behavior was a gimmick to stir up interest in the show and as a result, ratings.

That's pretty much it. It was a gimmick.

To take Simon Cowell's remarks seriously, is ludicrous.

I agree with Annie, most contestants knew before hand, what Simon Cowell was about. So, no harm done, really.

I also think most people liked when Simon Cowell gave his ''opinions'', that's one of the reasons the show was a huge success.

People loved to hate Simon Cowell, so they tuned it. And the ratings skyrocketed.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
An artist such as Bob Dylan wouldn't necessarily "make it" today, with or without the interference of Simon Cowell.

If it wasn't Cowell, there'd be a long line of cynical magazine writers, bloggers, internet forum users, music critics, tabloid writers, SNL/parody writers, late night talk show monologuer's, amateur YouTuber's, tv hosts, radio DJ's or fellow/competing musicians who would go out of their way to bury a "Bob Dylan" if he had started his career today instead of when he did.

Frankly, Simon is just a good, visible symbol of the cynical nature towards musicians that exists today. He isn't the cause of it. He is merely another link in a long chain that was already there.

No matter who a current artist is or how successful they are, these days you have a big group of people already hoping for them to fail, or if they have any sort of power they are actually plotting to help them fail.

That is an unnecessary and unfortunate handicap for today's artists that groups like the Beatles, the Stones, the Who or Neil Young didn't have to deal with in their era.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
There is a lot of truth to what you are saying Aero, but also with the negatives you mentioned you can offset quite a bit of that with intelligent use of the internet. It allows anyone who is really interested to check out whoever they want without bothering with any critics or people with an agenda against a particular artist.

That is an option the artists I grew up with never had, at least not with the capabilities the net has to offer.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^ To me critics are nothing in the long run. Not even music fans really...if it's not a kangaroo playing an accordian against a dwarf singing opera on top of a see saw that's pumping an organ than most of the time music/songs mean nothing to them except to knock it.

Hell look at Rolling Stone....one of the few times KISS didn't get raked through the coals there was for the Elder. The least selling KISS album right? I mean I like it...but that's not the point...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Critics are so phony at times it's pathetic. I don't mind a neutral narrative by someone who knows what they are talking about to give some depth on a given subject, but the indiscriminate bashing that seems to be the flavor of the month now is embarrassing.

For example, I love Saxon, and have said as much in my thread for them. I don't need a critic to tell me they are not inventing anything new, that is not why I like them. And as far as rating their albums again I don't need a critic to tell me that "Rock The Nations" and "Destiny" are not Belters, I can figure that out for myself.

Personally I think every magazine or television show should run a Positive and Negative of the same artist/band/CD/DVD release. To show both sides of the coin and just give you some background info before you make your own decision.(There may be exceptions when something is so bad no one can shine a positive light on it.) And with all of the options available now if you take the time you can evaluate anything you like before you spend your money on it.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
^^I've never watched one episode of Idol or any of the other "Talent" shows either.

I don't like embarrassing people in a public format at anytime...so Cowell was never anything but a bombastic egocentric nabob of negativity in my opinion, and I believe he bailed on Idol because he knew it is on the way down.

Jack Bruce has a million times more credibility than Cowell so I compliment him on saying what many of us feel.:clap:

:cheers2
Some of KNOW this ...and Some of us get the rash for it..I agree with Jack and you...

keeping the faith aint easy tho...:)

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
^^ To me critics are nothing in the long run. Not even music fans really...if it's not a kangaroo playing an accordian against a dwarf singing opera on top of a see saw that's pumping an organ than most of the time music/songs mean nothing to them except to knock it.

Hell look at Rolling Stone....one of the few times KISS didn't get raked through the coals there was for the Elder. The least selling KISS album right? I mean I like it...but that's not the point...

Well remember the Record Exc who told Brian Epstein that guitar groups were out ? Ermm YEAHHH he knew what he was talking about..

The Beatles would have never made the cut if they listened to critics..

Critics don't know anything..they maybe have a degree in English Literature and some contact with music either through the business or contacts , but how does anything like THAT quailfy them to speculate on whats going to make it or whats good ?

Now you got some hasbeens of music..Jennifer Lopez ? please passing judgement...please !

I listen [or don't listen] to music based on what I like..I NEVER listen to critics and that goes for movie reviews..

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
"I don't need a critic to tell me they are not inventing anything new"

I could never see the logic in expecting a band to invent something new. I hate the word "derivative" when talking about a new band :pullhair:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Some great things have been said so I won't repeat them, I agree with Jack and I believe that if you like something then that is you, you should not listen to every other person, you should make your own mind up.

I have made my own mind up for years and I have listened to others for their input and opinions.

In my opinion there are talented people out there who do not get the credit and also do not make music that I like but that doesn't mean it is no good, somebody out there likes it, however Miilli Vanilli were no good at all... lol

:wa

OptimisticFutureBlues

Pschonautic Outlaw
Reaction score
Anything with even a mention of the writer(s) personal opinion shouldn't be considered news at all. Simon Cowell was funny at times. At other times he was just hurtful. I empathize with Jack, as a fellow Bob Dylan fan. As I also resent remarks like that towards anything Bob Dylan, unless its a slam on his religious directions (In which case I couldn't agree more)

But how seriously can you take a man with a funny hair cut, an angry and pre-judgmental disposition with shirts that he buys at baby gap. I wouldn't take it seriously at all, his remarks or him as a person. He is a manufactured personality, made and paid to keep you people entertained.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online

No members online now.