Is Nu-Metal dead?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There are quite a few bands I like that are classified as Nu-Metal.

POD (also considered christian metal, alternative metal, and rap metal)
Guano Apes (also considered alternative rock & alternative metal)
Puddle of Mudd (also considered post grunge and alternative metal)
Staind (also considered post grunge and alternative metal)
Linkin Park (also considered alternative metal, rap rock, and alternative rock)
Disturbed (also considered hard rock, heavy metal)
Evanescence ( also considered gothic metal, hard rock, and alternative metal)
Trapt (also considered hard rock and alternative metal)
Korn (and their music has alot of grunge elements)

So just calling a band nu-metal can mean a lot of different things, depending on who you ask. To me nu-metal is a tag or name only. I consider a large portion of the nu-metal bands just an alternative, meaning they incorporate different sounds and techniques into the music, like beat sampling and some elements of rap (like rhythm and rhyme).

Many of the bands are just hard rock, with a twist.

All these genre labels really are not a good thing. If some people see a band labelled "nu-metal" they automatically assume it is rap or something that is going to suck. I say give it a try, you never know, you may like something you hear.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Magic said:
...meaning they incorporate different sounds and techniques into the music, like beat sampling and some elements of rap (like rhythm and rhyme).

So do all the bands you've listed incorporate those two elements?

:huh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No Hepcat. The bands that catch my attention have more elements of grunge.

you would probably like Guano Apes, going from all the things you have posted that you like. They do not rap or sample, hell they aren't even metal if you ask me, but they remind me of some grungy garage rock :)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
^^That is their Debut album, and by far my favorite. Give it a listen, they have a female vocalist that has a sweet voice.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have that Guano Apes album, it is okay I don't know how to classify them other than hard rock...:hm:

Fisha

Reaction score
To be honest I kind of enjoy Nu-Metal I mean the lyrics are a load of pretentious bullshit but if you take it all with a grain of salt and an open mind you can find yourself getting into some of it (of course some is absolute crap)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Fisha, IMHO the lyrical issue applies to any genre of music. Take for instance Aerosmith, some of their lyrics dont even make sense *the same goes for some of Ozzy's work,too* but the music is catchy and the hooks and lyrics seem to work together. There are a ton of classics and new music that I can only remember small phrases from, because the lyrics fit the hook at the time, and stick in my mind.

I think how the term nu-metal came about, was fans were noticing a difference in the music, some experimental stuff and fushion of elements from other music styles, and the music didn't have the solo's people were used to. Therefore, they coined the music nu-metal.

I honestly believe this is what has soured so many people to the music of the 90's. A lot of bands were trying new things hoping to be the next big musical break-through.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I like System of a Down. I don't listen to them often and when I do it's only the Toxicity album. But they are a cool band. Very campy, which I dig. They're funny and awesome at the same time. I have massive respect for them.

"PUSHING LITTLE CHILDRE!N!!!!" hahahahaha

But it's actually a good song.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I never really thought of SOAD as nu-metal, they are a unique band and I like that album AAG.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online