Is Nu-Metal dead?

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
For the record, RATM is not usually considered Nu-Metal. It's all subjective, of course, of course. But RATM is usually accepted as pre-dating Nu Metal. They could maybe be considered the precursor like Van Halen was to Hair Metal. That's just what "they" say, I'm not saying it's "right." :)

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I used to dislike "nu metal" quite a bit; that cookie monster sound is absurd.

My guess is your talking about Death Metal or Industrial Metal as far as the singer growling through the lyrics..

And I agree with AAG that RATM was probably the innovation behind what turned out to be several clone rap rock artist bands..

Funny just how much confusion there is with trying to label a band under a certain genre..
I would say Nickleback is certainly "Alternative Rock" not nu metal.. They don't rap during their songs..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I just consider Nickelback a rock band, they could easily fit into the 80's. RATM don't like Rap music and therefore Zack's vocals ruin Tom Morello's stellar guitar work for me.

If Godsmack is considered nu-metal, I do have a few of their albums, but haven't played them enough to rate them.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
RATM don't like Rap music and therefore Zack's vocals ruin Tom Morello's stellar guitar work for me.

RATM using Zack to get their message across is brilliant!! I couldn't see them with anybody else..
If you take the time to listen to the message behind the music, they are strongly anti Establishment or non comformist..
That's what I really enjoy about the band.. And they were way ahead of their time as far as having their own style and sound that was copied by so many other bands..
There were so many nu metal bands that the good ones got lost in the main stream..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You are right on target about that Thumper, not my kind of music. I know what you mean though, The Clash did the same thing, their songs were about serious issues in the world in general, it's just too bad that Zack ruins RATM for me, I do like Audioslave though.:grinthumb

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
I just consider Nickelback a rock band, they could easily fit into the 80's. RATM don't like Rap music and therefore Zack's vocals ruin Tom Morello's stellar guitar work for me.

If Godsmack is considered nu-metal, I do have a few of their albums, but haven't played them enough to rate them.

There is a way to remove the vocals from the songs. Not only is Tom Morrello brilliant, but Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk provide an excellent rhythm section which is essential to any funk influenced music.

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
RATM using Zack to get their message across is brilliant!! I couldn't see them with anybody else..
If you take the time to listen to the message behind the music, they are strongly anti Establishment or non comformist..
That's what I really enjoy about the band.. And they were way ahead of their time as far as having their own style and sound that was copied by so many other bands..
There were so many nu metal bands that the good ones got lost in the main stream..

couldn't agree more. Their songs are great for moshing by yourslef in your room too.:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have a program that can do that Greg, but don't have the time to do it. I am so far behind I don't think I will ever catch up with all the music I am trying to get to.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^ Limp Bizkit get's loads of crap because of Fred Durst.. But I have to say Wes Borland was always the reason I listened to them..
He did a project with Blacklight Burns which was produced by Trent Reznor..
A very NIN sound to it.. But a good step for Wes after Limp Bizkit..

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.