1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Nu-Metal dead?

Discussion in 'Metal' started by TeleCat, Nov 21, 2008.

1. TeleCat

TeleCat Blackmore's Advocate

I never got into it but it was popular with Limp Bizkit, Korn and others. I've kind of taken an interest lately 'cause I hooked up with a couple rapper friends recently and one has a home studio. I recorded some riffs and melodies for him and was amazed with what he did with them. Other than using a few riffs he took little things like samples of a pinch harmonic or a pick slide and threw them in repetitively on top of a beat. Pretty cool I must say. I'll try to post it soon.

2. eberg15101

eberg15101 Senior Member

i guess, theres still a couple of lingering bands that really need to die off too

but now we have all the wonderful grind core and deaeth metal and doom metal and all of these other great genres(all of these bands need to die off too)

3. TeleCat

TeleCat Blackmore's Advocate

Yeah I don't like stuff like Slipknot or death metal. All these Scandinavian "Black Metal" bands get on my nerves. Sounds like they got the cookie monster singing. It's ridiculous IMO. That said I think heavy guitar has a place in rap. I'm not into rap either but I can appreciate the spoken word aspect of it. It's inspiring to play a heavy funk riff and have someone freestyle over it.

4. eberg15101

eberg15101 Senior Member

eh i guess it sounds pretty cool, i think it sounds awesome to have these intricate kinda fingerpicked licks under the rap, it sounds kinda cool

5. AboutAGirl

AboutAGirl oh, be nice

I'm not a big nu metal fan although System of a Down is a pretty cool group. I don't think nu metal has any popularity anymore outside of the biggest bands which remain popular. Mallcore and metalcore bands took over which I'd say is better since they're heavier.

There's still a place in rap for metallic flourishes though... ever heard Necro? I'm not a big fan of that stuff though.

Now? You say that as if grindcore and death metal and doom metal didn't predate nu metal by 10-25 years.

6. Alex42

Alex42 Junior Member

Judging from the constant stream of Slipknot coming from my son's room (where did I go wrong?) it has some life in it yet, although like every other musical genre it will need to evolve it it is to survive

7. newyorkkkk

newyorkkkk Junior Member

i thinkits got a little life yet

8. tomcat

tomcat CRF Ex-Con

On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
    Nu Metal is shit (and it's not metal IMO). Lets hope it's dead.

9. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

I have alot of friends who would gladly deliver a Eulogy for Nu-Metal. ha ha.

I dont think it is dead, but has gone to the back burner.

Godsmack, Disturbed, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Mudvayne, Staind, slipknot, Taproot, Trapt, Mushroom Head are all still together.

10. LG

LG Fade To Black

Nu-Metal....not a fan myself, I do like a couple of Godsmack songs but that's about it for this genre.