Is Nu-Metal dead?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
AAG, I forgot about SOAD. Toxicity is by far their best album, a great chill album, IMO.

ishu161

Reaction score
All these genre labels really are not a good thing. If some people see a band labelled "nu-metal" they automatically assume it is rap or something that is going to suck. I say give it a try, you never know, you may like something you hear.

well said :grinthumb

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
I don't think iit is dead. When it is done right it is one of my favorite kinds of music. Also it could be that I do like some rap and maybe that is why I enjoy it more than others. There is a DC area band called Bob(i know horrible name) that are making some noise right now.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am sure you don't really mean that, Tomcat. How many nu-metal bands and full albums have you given a listen to? Not all of them are bad.

I will admit, I dont listen to these bands on a daily basis, but I do get in a mood for something with a different tempo and style once in a while. I listen to Guano Apes quite a bit and Staind.

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
I used to dislike "nu metal" quite a bit; that cookie monster sound is absurd. But good songwriting, I feel, knows no boundaries and, even hip hop music, when it's done very well, can be extremely good. The stuff Dr. Dre has recorded, in my opinion, was fine work. The rock-rap combo is not new, Faith No More brilliantly executed it with "Epic" and, again, when done right, continues to be totally amazing. I was a huge fan of Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park ten years ago. One of the only records in the last 15 years where most of the tracks on the disc, I liked (Fallen by Evanescence is another). Limp Bizkit came off, to me, as music you go through your Sophomore year at college listening to but not really serious the way, oh I don't know, Rage Against the Machine was. RATM, while not always my cup of tea, recorded a lot of serious rock-rap for which the genre, I'm guessing, was intended.

I honestly don't think Nu-Metal is "dead" either, to answer the original question. And honestly I will take a nu-metal song over more mainstream acts like Nickelback or the Kings of Leon any day.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
:eek: Dairenn is another Nickelback non-fan. I like them myself, but then I am female, and I think Chad Kroeger appeals to the ladies.

:flirt

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^My sister just went to their concert a few days ago Magic and she agrees with you. Said it was a great show, I am neutral I neither loathe Nickelback nor like them, some decent songs and I do have their break through album from years ago, but don't play it that often.

They are getting the U2 treatment now, being popular and considered the most successful band of the last decade has been a mixed blessing.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online