I Love This Song: “Heart of the Night”

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

1715879329612.jpeg

I was a senior in high school when “Heart of the Night” hit the radio. I immediately fell in love with this song. There is something special about the galloping melody, guitar, vocals, and saxophone. There is a country “twang” to the guitar, but the song isn’t country. It is what I now call soft pop rock.

When I first heard the song, I discovered it was Poco. Who the hell is Poco? I went in search of the album and bought both the vinyl and 8 track so I could listen to it in my car, which had an 8 track. I wore that 8 track out, but I still own the vinyl. I played “Heart of the Night” and “Legend” (a blistering track) on repeat, a lot! I even named my first dog I owned as an adult Poco. I got asked all the time where my dog’s name came from, and I happily introduced people to Poco “Legend”.

Actually, I like the whole album. It is my go to album when I want something easy on the ears and to reminisce of the past. I didn’t know that Poco was a band that had been around since the late 60’s until I started frequenting music forums. However, I am ashamed to say i have never explored Poco’s discography.

Have you heard this album? What’s your thoughts & opinions?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Crazy Love - Poco
This is the song I always heard on the radio.
Radio still plays it once in a while. I heard it not too long ago on the radio and smiled. Nice to know some of this older music, which wasn’t insanely popular, still gets played.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Paul Cotton wrote In the Heart of the Night and Rusty Young wrote Crazy Love.
Young was in Buffalo Springfield and Paul Cotton was in Illinois Speed Press...one of my all time favorite 'country' rock bands.
I posted some things before by and about Speed Press some where on the forum.

Poco had an interesting history and was formed after Buffalo Springfield broke up. Richie Furay and jim Messina founded the band with Rusty Young and Randy Meisner (bass) who soon left to be in the original Eagles. Tim Schmidt replaced him. Messina soon left to form Loggins and Messina. Paul Cotton then came in on lead guitar....since Speed Press had no record contract any longer. Furay left because they were not getting as popular as he had hoped and joined the Souther Hillman Furay band. Tim Schmidt left after a few years and joined the Eagles.
I always felt Illinois Speed Press were more interesting song wise and musician wise than Poco and the Eagles and as good as Buffalo Springfield but they never seemed to click with the public for some reason. As a whole I still like their 2 lps better than the other bands lps.

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
@dr wu that is an interesting history. I always liked Jim Messina. He wrote one of my favorite songs, from the Loggins & Messina “Full Sail “ album….Pathway to Glory.

I was introduced to this song when I was around 14 by my older brother’s friend who everyone called “Popeye”. I will never forget popeye. He lived two houses down from us and he had some sort of disease that caused his eyes to appear very large and his legs and hands were very swollen all the time. He had a dog that I would dog sit when he had to go on his many hospital stays.

Popeye had a massive album collection and would often play songs that he thought would interest my young ears. I had a love for music at a young age, thanks to my brothers and their friends. This song always stood out to me as a masterpiece……even today!

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
@dr wu that is an interesting history. I always liked Jim Messina. He wrote one of my favorite songs, from the Loggins & Messina “Full Sail “ album….Pathway to Glory.

I was introduced to this song when I was around 14 by my older brother’s friend who everyone called “Popeye”. I will never forget popeye. He lived two houses down from us and he had some sort of disease that caused his eyes to appear very large and his legs and hands were very swollen all the time. He had a dog that I would dog sit when he had to go on his many hospital stays.

Popeye had a massive album collection and would often play songs that he thought would interest my young ears. I had a love for music at a young age, thanks to my brothers and their friends. This song always stood out to me as a masterpiece……even today!
My favorite track from them

Angry Eyes

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThorstenMa

Members online