HMV in administration

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
There are rumours abound that Dragon's Den star and owner of stationary store, Ryman, Theo Paphitis, is thinking about buying HMV. Apparently he has spoken to the Daily Mail saying, "My interest for HMV harks from an era that thinks what a great brand. Often I have looked at things and thought is there something there? I could put a Dyas or Ryman in some of its stores, and am also talking to the administrator of Jessops where I have identified some shops, as well as Blockbuster."
I have read Theos book and hes a cool guy.If he does take over he should be good for the brand.He will close any unproductive branches down mind and keep the cream.It would be nice if Branson expressed an interest too
richard.jpg

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Branson sold off Virgin not long before they collapsed. I think it would take a miracle for him to get back involved with entertainment retail considering the bullet he dodged the first time.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
In the paper today they mentioned a lot of employees were sacked, one or more of them tweeted the news and were not happy about things which is understandable. The spokesman representing the accounting firm which is making the decisions explained the firings as necessary to streamline operations to make the company more appealing to new ownership.

Hate to see this sort of thing happen but there's no stopping it now.:(

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I was in HMV and FOPP on Friday in Manchester and a chap from HMV told me that 180 head office staff were gone and he was waiting to hear of store closures. He did say that FOPP was making money and hoped someone would buy the FOPP brand. I knoe the company that is dealing with HMV are ruthless and will prob close loads of the stores and keep about 5 or 6 if that. I got some good CD's from the sales section. Both shops were busy, I saw so many albums for £3 and wanted to shout out and say why are you not buying these classics instead off all the shit you are buying.

To be fair all the £3 CD's were in the sale before they went into administration so I am not one of those prols I mentioned earlier...:peek

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Looks like some of the stores are closing over here, I will have to travel to visit HMV now but don't mind as I get to see other places and other pubs...

This is the list of potential closures...

Ashton-under-Lyne
Ballymena
Barnsley
Bayswater
Belfast Boucher Road
Belfast Forestside, Bexleyheath
Birkenhead
Birmingham Fort
Blackburn, Boston
Bournemouth Castlepoint
Bracknell
Burton-upon-Trent
Camberley
Chesterfield
Coleraine
Craigavon
Croydon Centrale
Derry
Dumfries, Durham
Edinburgh Fort
Edinburgh Gyle Centre
Edinburgh Ocean
Edinburgh Princes Street
Edinburgh St James
Falkirk, Fulham
Glasgow Fort
Glasgow Silverburn
Glasgow Braehead
Huddersfield
Kirkcaldy
Leamington Spa
Leeds White Rose
Lisburn
Loughborough,
Luton
Manchester 90
Moorgate
Newry
Newtonabbey
Orpington
Rochdale
Scunthorpe
South Shields
Speke Park
St Albans
St Helens
Stockton-on-Tees
Tamworth
Teesside
Telford
Trocadero
Wakefield
Walsall
Walton-on-Thames
Wandsworth
Warrington
Watford
Wellingborough
Wigan
Wood Green
Workington
Wrexham

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That's quite a list, how many are left after the first round of "culling"...?

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
5 in Edinburgh alone. Madness to even have that many in the first place.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
^^That's quite a list, how many are left after the first round of "culling"...?

Not sure how many are left and your right Powerage they should not have that many in one area. I know that they started to close some down over the last 2 years or so, they had 3 in Nottingham once and now have 1.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
How sad is that Sweat if HMV shuts in town, for the first in our lifetime no music shop in Chesterfield.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Staff online

Members online