HMV in administration

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
It is with great regret that HMV, the last Music chain store will be going into administration tomorrow (15/01/13)

They have been trading for 90 years and because of internet sales and downloading they have had to call in the administrators and their shares are down too. This has been on the cards for some time and is a blow to the high street and the music industry as they are one of the only shops left that sell CD's and DVD's. I know they are not what they used to be but I will miss going into their shops and will have to buy from the internet now.

Most of the music fans of today will not be bothered as they will just turn to itunes or free downloads but I will be pissed off without being able to go into my local store daily.

In Chesterfield we will probablu=y have no music store:wa

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One thing I know will kill off record stores eventually here is the over pricing. Its not only illegal downloads that contributes to this issue, its the fact so many places overprice albums. Its easier to just download it so many people do.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Sad news indeed...:(

HMV here is owned by a different group of investors, but they might go under as well.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I heard that they were being looked at to be sold to a USA company but not looking good, I will be in the Sheffield store on Wednesday foe some more CD's if they have them in...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
They sold the HMV chain here to some company but kept the name...I should make a trip to the southside store tomorrow to see if they are still going to be around. Guess sales never generated enough capital to keep the doors open.

Seriously, if I could go back in time I would take a DVD of the state of the recording industry, show it to the executives (As evil as they all are.) and make sure they never released a single CD or MP3 download ever. :nw:

That way we would all still be happily playing vinyl and the artists would be in much better shape.

I'd also make a side trip and burn down Stephen Jobs' workshop...:D...just to be sure Apple never got off the ground.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Evil mind you have, I agree to a certain extent, I like CD's because of the space they save but I hate what has happened to the industry, I got out before they started going down hill and just wanting money. I worked their because I loved the job and the music and films, a real passion for it.

I will still buy music but from the net now or I will go and see the bands more and buy from their stalls to give them the money...I am pissed right off about this news:mad

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I know how you feel Sweaty, HMV is the last chain store here as well when they close up shop it will be independents only and it's doubtful the labels will bother pressing physical media at all now with no retail outlets.

Sigh...I hope some bands offer 24-96's from their own homepages, I would gladly buy those and give them 100% of the money for their work.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I would buy from their sites too. I can see more bands making their own stuff and selling it themselves. I can see there being a big market for that and the bands will see all the money. We have some indie shops but not too many. There are still a lot of labels re-pressing old stuff and re-releasing rare albums so fingers crossed this will continue.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
I don't think we have any record chains left here in the states. Fortunately we still have some great independent stores in So. Cal. like Poo-Bah's, Canterbury's and Amoeba. We also have some great flea markets at the Rose Bowl and Pasadena City College that are treasure chests for music fans. We need to support them so they don't go under, too.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but HMV already committed suicide with their high prices of the CDs and such. They are closing down, because websites like Amazon and Play have much lower prices AND more variety in stock. Plus seeing second hand records are cheaper than CDs and you get better quality... it had to happen sooner or later.

I used to spend a lot in HMV, it must've been at least £1500 and to be honest I wasted a lot.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online