Favourite Beatles Drumming?

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
Drummers reveal 'Mad, Bad and Dangerous' experiences in book written by Watford musician
8:48am Thursday 19th August 2010

Top drummers took over a Watford pub to mark the launch of a new book revealing some of their craziest experiences on and off stage.

Spike Webb, who lives in Abbots Langley, has been playing the drums for more than 40 years after forming his first band as a pupil at Watford Grammar School for Boys.

He has now published a book, entitled Mad, Bad and Dangerous, that lifts the lid on what it's really like to be a drummer.

Contributors include Don Powell from Slade, Jon Moss of Culture Club, and Andy Wells of Meat Loaf.

Other drummers to feature in the book, including Mohair's Pete Baker and the former Razorlight member Andy Burrows, joined Spike to officially launch his book at The Horns, in Hempstead Road, on Tuesday evening.

Spike's top five drummers:

Ringo Starr (The Beatles) - “Because of the total unique creativity in what he does.”

Charlie Watts (The Rolling Stones) - “No other drummer plays like him.”

Phil Collins (Genesis) - “I just love his playing and whole approach to it.”

Steve Gadd (session drummer) - “He's just a fabulous player.”

Karen Carpenter (The Carpenters) - “She was actually a great drummer.”

Source: http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/8340146.Drummers_reveal__Mad__Bad_and_Dangerous__experiences/

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
24 August 2010(WAY More Than) 10 Questions with...Mars Hollow

Mars Hollow burst out onto the prog scene this year via their self-titled debut album on 10T Records. Those among you with good memories will remember that I covered this release a short bit ago on Bill’s Prog Blog (click here if you’d like to re-read the review: Bill's Prog Blog: CD REVIEW: Mars Hollow - Mars Hollow (10T Records, 2010)), with some very favourable things to say about it.

The band has not been resting on their collective laurels…they just played what was, by all accounts, a stormer of a set at Mexicali Prog, and are also due to play this year’s Progday festival at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill North Carolina. They’re also working up material for their sophomore album, which we may be lucky enough to see next year.

2. What would you say are your biggest influences as a musician?

Jerry: As far as drumming goes, I've been influenced by Buddy Rich, Carl Palmer, Neil Peart, Barriemore Barlow, Bill Bruford, Alan White, Louie Bellson, Simon Phillips and of course Ringo Starr.

Source: Bill's Prog Blog: (WAY More Than) 10 Questions with...Mars Hollow

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
Interview Outtakes: Black Crowes Drummer Steve Gorman on Ringo Starr, Working with Warren Zevon and Avoiding Grunge's PitfallsBy Annie Zaleski, Thu., Aug. 26 2010 @ 12:45PM Categories: Story Outtakes

On Ringo Starr and how Ringo influenced his playing as a drummer:
RFT: I know that Ringo Starr is a big influence on you as a drummer, which I find interesting because while he is revered by many, he hasn't always been labeled critically as a great drummer. So I'm curious to know how he influenced you as a player.

People still argue about [basketball players] Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain, you know what I mean? And if that's an argument you're going to actively [pursue] - anyone who says Wilt Chamberlain, I don't even listen to them. I don't want to know anything else about their life. It's like saying Ringo or Neil Peart - that doesn't even make sense to me. Of course Neil Peart is an amazing drummer, as is John Bonham, as is Charlie Watts, as is Glenn Kotche from Wilco - that guy is insane! I would honestly say even more so than Bonham and Led Zeppelin, I can't imagine another drummer playing in The Beatles. The sound and feel of that band, people just take them for granted as far as how great of a band they were, because they're the biggest band ever.

You go back and listen to their live tapes from '62 and '63, when they're just playing six hours a night, they are swinging like crazy! Ringo is such a swinging drummer and he's very much a groove drummer. Everyone talks about Ringo because he's the most famous drummer ever and they miss the point on him. The other guy that no one ever talks about is John Densmore from the Doors, who's just a monster part of what the Doors were. The Ringo thing, you just can't hear anybody else playing those tunes. You just can't imagine any of that stuff making more sense. I hear "The Ballad of John and Yoko" and it just makes my skin crawl to hear Paul McCartney play that drum kit the way he plays it. It's hard for me to even know where to start because there's hardly been anybody more musically in tune with what the song needed than Ringo Starr. Who knows how it must have been like to be in the Beatles, but the fact is he was the one in The Beatles. You look at the scoreboard and they won the game, you know what I mean?

Definitely. You hear certain drummers, and you know by the sound of their playing, exactly who it is behind the kit.

Totally. The best example is on the "Sgt. Pepper" reprise at the end of the album, when it counts in and he just plays that little beat for eight measures, that is my favorite drum pass of all time. I can listen to that on a loop for an hour. It just feels perfect to me - that's what everything is supposed to feel like, right there. And every drummer in the world can play it, but nobody can make it feel like that. Drumming is about something feels.

Source: http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/at...ingo_starr_tour_dates_setlist_2010.php?page=1

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
At 3:23, a fan asks Keith Moon who his favourite drummer is, and Moon says Ringo:
Considering none of his other answers were honest or normal answers and since Ringo was also on the show, I really doubt that this would be the one honest answer he gave.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online

No members online now.