Explain mind-blowing rhythm in two short song segments

WeThotUWasAToad

Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone who is rhythm-savvy explain the time signatures and what's going on with the rhythm in a couple of song segments from my favorite 70's band, Kansas?

I've been listening to this album for 40+ years and it still blows me away every time I hear it.

Both segments are from their second album, Song for America, which I found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtBRyNSZnA4.

The first segment is from the title track (written by Kerry Livgren):

09:20 gorgeous piano interlude
09:49 mind blowing rhythm, repeats previous theme on synthesizer
10:17 violin (Robby Steinhardt) superimposed on rhythm
10:49 end of segment

The second segment is from the track titled The Devil Game (written by Steve Walsh & Dave Hope). It seems less complex but still gives me chills every time I hear it:

29:37 brief intro
29:41 strong but straightforward rhythm
29:51 awesome rhythm begins
30:31 end of segment

Specifically, what is the drummer (Phil Ehart) doing every 5 seconds or so beginning precisely at 30:01?

Thanks

Romulus

Reaction score
I think you need someone who can read music and probably composes music. I was playing a track in the car from Blind Faith called 'Do What You Like' to my friend Chris who immediately commented on the unusual rhythm beat of the drums. I would of not noticed anything unuasual but he studied composition and composes classical music. He mentioned something that the beat in question was either in fives or sevenths. Anyway here is the track

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I can't help you.....

But I Love love love your screen name

:heheh:

WeThotUWasAToad

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I Love love love your screen name

Oh, I am so delighted! In fact, your post made my day (maybe my month or even year actually)!

For your info, the idea to use that as my display name on forums came to me several years ago and since that time, I've registered on a few dozen forums and my posts number in the hundreds. Nevertheless and astonishingly (to me at least), I can count on one hand the number of times someone has commented.

O Brother Where Art Thou is my favorite movie and I seriously doubt that I have ever seen anything in any movie funnier than Delmar leaning over the back of his seat in that theater trying to communicate his message to Pete. Just writing this now has got me lol once again. :D

As a result, I remember thinking (when I first started using it) that even if my posts are illogical or off-topic or whatever, at least they might give many/some of the people who look at them a grin or even a reason to chuckle now and then. I suppose that does happen sometimes but as I said, I'm very surprised by the paucity of comments (ie "that don't make no sense", bit.ly/2oAVWuq).

For my part, I think it's hilarious and I grin every time I think of it — and now you will too! hehe

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Oh, I am so delighted! In fact, your post made my day (maybe my month or even year actually)!

For your info, the idea to use that as my display name on forums came to me several years ago and since that time, I've registered on a few dozen forums and my posts number in the hundreds. Nevertheless and astonishingly (to me at least), I can count on one hand the number of times someone has commented.

O Brother Where Art Thou is my favorite movie and I seriously doubt that I have ever seen anything in any movie funnier than Delmar leaning over the back of his seat in that theater trying to communicate his message to Pete. Just writing this now has got me lol once again. :D

As a result, I remember thinking (when I first started using it) that even if my posts are illogical or off-topic or whatever, at least they might give many/some of the people who look at them a grin or even a reason to chuckle now and then. I suppose that does happen sometimes but as I said, I'm very surprised by the paucity of comments (ie "that don't make no sense", bit.ly/2oAVWuq).

For my part, I think it's hilarious and I grin every time I think of it — and now you will too! hehe

Yes, it gave me a chuckle and I knew immediately what movie it was from.

Glad to have you here at CRF. Stick around and don't runnoft!.....lol

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online