Evanescence (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I don't dislike them after the first album, but many people know that I would listen to Nightwish or Within Temptation over them anyday.

I do like the new CD, but Fallen and My Immortal are also my favourites.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I need to still get The Open Door album of this band.
Fallen is my favourite but I loved the new CD as well.

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
I don't get why people claim Fallen is their best.. To be honest I think it's weak when compared to the rest of their stuff.. Especially compared to The Open Door. There's so much more variety in the music, and everything feels more deliberate and structured. I don't really know how else to describe it. I still adore the Fallen, but it definitely feels more....thrown together. And in a way, that's part of what I love about it. It feels a lot freer and more fun than any of Ev's previous stuff, but there's something about the very thought out way The Open Door is that I just love. Everything from the production, to the variety in the instrumentation and orchestration, the vocals and the endless layers of backing vocals....hell, even the TRACK order feels really considered and deliberate. Amy's voice and piano were the center of the songs and now, listening to the three albums the band released so far (with the new members and all) i still think that those piano/Amy's voice oriented songs with a bunch of creepy sounds and the big choir are the type of songs Evanescence does best.
Although the heavy parts were not really memorable, the whole point of the album to me was exactly that: creating an album centered in Amy's voice, piano, weird electronic sounds, a big choir and then the rock part was a sort of accompaniment, rather than the center of attention. And that worked well for me, cause TOD has this nice balance between Amy's experimentation both music and vocals-wise (which Fallen and the new album sort of lack) and the rest of the band's rock vibe, without overwhelming the former aspect of their music, that to me is the most interesting one. It's just such a wonderful album and i think it's often overlooked because it is much darker and less commercial.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I like the Open Door too, but I thought it was more repititious. I'll have to pull it out again and give it a listen. Because as it stands right now, I like the new CD much better than Open Door.

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
Oh you guys should definitely give TOD another chance :grinthumb.. To be honest, when I first heard it I loved a few songs on the first listen and there were those that seemed very odd, like Snow White Queen, Your Star and Lose Control. It took me a while for those to grow on me. But now those three are among my top 5 Ev songs.

My #1 fav Ev song. Everything about it is perfect, vocals, piano, thundering guitars, haunting atmosphere, lyrics.

This has got to be one of the best songs lyrically that ev has ever written.. That high operatic note at 2:26 is impressive and especially when she does it live.

This song is easily the best Ev ballad .. It's the very last song on TOD. It's like the light at then end of the long and dark spooky tunnel jeje

Oh and I'm not sure if you guys ever heard this one. It's a TOD b-side and it was released due to benefit the United Nations Foundation for their Haiti earthquake recovery efforts. It successfully raised over $31,000 in its first week of availability.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
The bands on a break so it seems they might be releasing an EP with some unreleased songs from The Open Door and the self titled album.

This one is from The Open Door era:

If You Don’t Mind

I love her vocals here

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I'm trying to put my finder on what rock/metal subgenre this band should be grouped/categorized under. I saw a site recently that listed them as alt-metal and/or nu-metal.

:wtf:

If I was going to label them, and I'm no expert, I'd mostly categorize them as Symphonic Metal. They seem to have touches of quite a few different metal subgenres within their music, so ... *shrug* Wtf do I know?

Looking for some opinions from the peanut gallery

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Lynch, I like them...and have all three CD's...but to me?? Symphonic Metal??

I don't see it....goth maybe. To me, although I like them, seemd like they were trying to jump on the Nightwish bandwagon or Within Temptation bandwagon.....the REAL symphonic metal female fronted bands (IMO)...and Americanized the heck out of it.

:heheh: :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm trying to put my finder on what rock/metal subgenre this band should be grouped/categorized under. I saw a site recently that listed them as alt-metal and/or nu-metal.

:wtf:

If I was going to label them, and I'm no expert, I'd mostly categorize them as Symphonic Metal. They seem to have touches of quite a few different metal subgenres within their music, so ... *shrug* Wtf do I know?

Looking for some opinions from the peanut gallery

I can agree with that. They sound like a poppier version of bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation and you'd never hear those bands called nu-metal. All those bands have the idea of a gothy type metal/hard rock with vocalists that have an operatic/classical styled range.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
...and as far as my comment goes Sooty, keep in mind (cause you know I like them alot)...but they...let's say out of the three mentioned here...Nightwish, Within Temptation and them...they play it the most safe and are the most repetitive.

Not saying that this makes them bad...but they are more pop orientated than the other two...aside from WT's last album of course.

EV's third album they were trying to play to a more European audience and adapting a bit more of that style and mixing it in to what they already do well.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online