METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Official Website

Fallen (2003)
The Open Door (2006)
Evanescence (2011)
Synthesis (2017)
The Bitter Truth (2021)

No one has started a thread on Evanescence/Amy Lee yet, so I thought I would give them some props in their very own thread. Now I'm a HUGE fan of the female, gothic, symphonic, metal genre and I have to tell you I LOVE everything about it.

At first I was a bit hesitant on Evanescence, mainly because to me it seemed like a watered down version of all that was good and true in regards to this brand of metal.

I've always felt and still do that bands like Nightwish, Within Temptation and the like all have more melody, more structure and more variety than Evanescence.

To me it was an American-ized version of what had come before.

Now before any fans start hating me for expressing these opinions, we will get to the good news which is, I did buy both albums. Fallen and The Open Door and I do enjoy them and they get the occasional spin to this day.

I don't relate to them in the same way as I do the other bands I love but I enjoy them and respect them as they are really good in their own right. But with only two albums under their gothic belts...one can only wonder and hope that there will be a new CD someday soon...a THIRD cd....so we can see the band's growth as the last was 2006. In the end it's a good band!!

Sometimes it's cool to be converted.

evanescence_2_500.jpg

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Re: Evanescence

I really used to love Evanescence and have even mentioned Amy on a thread here. I have one album but haven't listened to it to for a long time. I guess I will give it a spin today.

A new album is scheduled for Fall 2010.

http://www.evanescence.com/index.asp

You can hear music streaming here.

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I like Evanescence quite a bit but I think they lost something crucial after losing Ben Moody from the band and having Amy take complete control of the songwriting and creative process! The Open Door c.d. just wasn't that impressive of a c.d. though it had it's moments! Unlike you MetalPriest I never listened to any gothic, symphonic metal before Evanescence so my experience wasn't tainted! I only discovered cool bands like Lacuna Coil who preceded Evanescence and Within Temptation later but IMO not one of these bands have delivered a track as moving, gorgeous and perfect (especially for a single) as My Immortal! Also Evanescence knew to slow it down a little and not overdo the epicness on every song like a lot of those bands do! They knew piano and an excellent haunting vocal could carry a song just fine if not better! :grinthumb I've NEVER heard a song that became so huge that was almost too special to be a single. It was a nice meeting between beauty and pop culture! :grinthumb

Here are my favorite Evanescence tracks besides My Immortal:

evanescence.jpg
Hello

Some of my favs were released from the live album:
Anywhere But Home CD/DVD
Evanescence_-_Anywhere_But_Home.jpg

Breathe No More

Farther Away

Thoughtless
(Korn Cover)

Pre-Fallen Tracks from Origin and early EPs:

Origin
144930_1_f.jpg

Give Unto Me

Solitude

Understanding

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

GREAT PICKS SOOT!!!! :grinthumb

You know what else I love? Good Enough from The Open Door

51v4BgSWtvL._SS500_.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Still can't believe there was stuff earlier than Fallen. Now can you buy that early material???

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

EvanescenceEP.jpg

I think some of Evanescence best work was some of the really early stuff.

Where Will You Go

Haunted

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online