Elton John (Official Thread)

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score
So why is everyone so dismissive over his later work if they do favor pop music? All I'm hearing is that his early 70's work is best because he 'rocked harder' then and his later work got too 'poppy,' whatever the hell that means.

What I really like is Elton post 1975, which I guess there isn't a thread about and would be pointless to make one since no one wants to talk about it. I guess poor Elton must be wasting his time if after forty years of work, only five of those years are apparently worth listen to. At least he's still making his way through live shows with these earlier songs, which are great shows for the likes of people here, but they are not meant for the rest of us die-hards.

It's simple at points, but other points it is complicated. Elton John is a fickle artist, when it comes to music. In all honesty ANYTHING after "The Elton John Band" disbanded, cannot be compared to that era, except "Jump Up".

Why? You cannot replace the talents that Olsson and Murray brought to the landscape of the works. They are one of Rock & Roll's most underrated Rhythm Sections, but also brought more layering of harmonies than the post-EJB ever could.

Blue Moves? Nah, I've given it too many chances over the last 20+ years and it does nothing for me. His cocaine use at the time of RotW was so rampant that he stopped Taupin writing all of the lyrics on Blue Moves. I know EJ thought he could pull it off, but it was cocaine talking. Taupin is possibly the only songwriter that can come close to Lennon/McCartney and in some cases is superior (his details in Ticking are phenomenal). IMO, one of the few things he got right, was bringing Buckmaster back into the fold (although Gus probably had more to do with it than EJ). But the "luster is gone", until "Hey, Hey Johnny" with me.

But "Curtains" is probably of the most Epic Closing tracks of All-Time, as is Ticking. But Curtains, is so Beatlesque that it sticks out more. The increased drug use affected his better judgment and to this day he regrets "disbanding", as he's been quoted many times of being: "Burned out from touring".

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
The "Madman Across The Water" album has really sounded soothing to me lately. A live version of an obvious standout track from it, "All The Nasties"...

:grinthumb

silverstar

Reaction score
Got to say Your Song is one classical track and may be
for a lot of people the first time they became aware of the
genius.
My theory is that it was inspired by Cat Stephens hit...
Morning has Broken ..... with its great piano work by
that blonde hair guy with the cloak.
I think Elton heard this and it got him in the mood to
compose Your Song.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I've been listen to "Blue Moves" lately and it's closer "Bite Your Lip (Get Up And Dance)" is really the only upbeat song on the the entire double album and is kind of like Elton's "Free Bird" in how it just takes off into that big, long jam for more than half the song. I especially like when the cellos get involved and parts are being traded off. It does in fact make me get up and dance. :heheh:

Studio version:

I actually really love the video that this person put together for this.

Live version:

Dumb duck suit aside, Elton really rocks it here. He even steps out from behind the piano and miraculously doesn't trip over his duck shoes. :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^If I were Elton I would use all my power and influence to erase that Duck suit video from existence Cosmic...:oyea:

I have Blue Moves because of your steadfast support of that record...but admit I haven't played any Elton for a while. Have to remedy that one of these days.;)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I can't argue that. Elton has worn some very (oh, I'll be very nice with the wording) interesting things over his career but the duck suit was probably the worst by far. :heheh:

I'm still kind of surprised that you didn't really get into "Blue Moves" before I pushed it on you, LG. Songs like "Tonight" are so orchestral and sound right up your alley.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I thought this was an awesome live album! The orchestra was very well utilized! It far exceeded my expectations and was one of the best 5 dollar purchases I've made! :grinthumb

Elton John-Live In Australia

Elton-John-Live-In-Australia-481167.jpg

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I was mentioning that album a little while back in this thread and it's awesome, Sooty. The one drawback I have with it is the dynamics. While I love a good use of louds and softs some of the quiet parts are so quiet that you have to turn it up considerable to hear it and then you get blasted by the orchestra when it comes in.

houseofallseasons

Reaction score
I grew up with Elton's music as well, especially the earlier stuff, although since Songs of the West Coast in 2002 I feel that he has returned to his more rustic side. He's certainly one of my biggest influences, especially in the ballad writing field. Some of those songs are nearly showtunes and that's nothing to shake a stick at. I have a song called 13 Billion on my first EP where I was trying to channel him a bit. I wish I could have just a fraction of the ability that he has.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online