Elton John (Official Thread)

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
So why is everyone so dismissive over his later work if they do favor pop music? All I'm hearing is that his early 70's work is best because he 'rocked harder' then and his later work got too 'poppy,' whatever the hell that means.

What I really like is Elton post 1975, which I guess there isn't a thread about and would be pointless to make one since no one wants to talk about it. I guess poor Elton must be wasting his time if after forty years of work, only five of those years are apparently worth listen to. At least he's still making his way through live shows with these earlier songs, which are great shows for the likes of people here, but they are not meant for the rest of us die-hards.

I'm dismissive of his later work because I just plain don't like it. That's the amazing thing about music...it's subjective. No one artist produced better music from 1969 to to 1977 than Elton did, in my opinion, but after that...not so much. I generally tend to steer away from things that don't interest me unless some one I care about is interested.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
So why is everyone so dismissive over his later work if they do favor pop music? All I'm hearing is that his early 70's work is best because he 'rocked harder' then and his later work got too 'poppy,' whatever the hell that means.

What I really like is Elton post 1975, which I guess there isn't a thread about and would be pointless to make one since no one wants to talk about it. I guess poor Elton must be wasting his time if after forty years of work, only five of those years are apparently worth listen to. At least he's still making his way through live shows with these earlier songs, which are great shows for the likes of people here, but they are not meant for the rest of us die-hards.

I stopped in this thread because I don't own anything after "Blue Moves".

If you are a big fan then do the albums from then up to now...a true hard core fan would have no problem with that.

And yes I think his early records are hands down his best work, and so do many other people, that is no crime it's all a matter of what you like.

Lastly I value my time more now than I used to, so I play the music from old artists that I know and like the most, rather than the material I am not that fond of.

Go ahead and finish Elton's disography in this thread Serena, there are enough fans to stop by and read what you have to say.

Serena

Reaction score
Well I could go on endlessly about the rest of his work, but I am not sure that I care to waste the effort if not many are interesting in anything after '77. If no one is willing to listing to him listen to him after the 70's anyway, there is probably nothing I can say that would be anymore persuasive. For those who may have heard anything further, what musically, makes it uninteresting? Nobody is ever too old to enjoy something new.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Elton John is one of my all time faves and the favoritism for his earlier work from myself and most others has to do with musical directions and not just the fact that certain songs were released after 1977. Some hits like "Wrap Her Up" and "Sacrifice" are just very different sounding songs from many of his more beloved songs from that first decade of his career.
I for one like some of his post '77 work but simply not as much of it. "I Guess That's Why The Call It The Blues" and "I'm Still Standing" are both classics of course from "Too Low For Zero" and "The One", "Believe", and "Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)" are all great hits that people don't remember quite as much as say..."Tiny Dancer" or "Bennie and the Jets" for example. Also I think "The Union" is the best album he's put out in a very long time and his last really good album since "Made In England" 15 years earlier.

So yes, some people actually do listen to post "Blue Moves" albums from Elton, Serena, they just don't have the same magic or appeal to most people as his output from early in his career.

Serena

Reaction score
He has got a lot of magic and appeal from the last thirty years and still going, I favor the Made in England and Songs From the West Coast albums over Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and Captain Fantastic but I guess it depends on what sort of music you're into. Each of his releases often corresponds with the current era, so those that want to stay stuck in the past will naturally feel awkward to anything 'new.' Again, I've always loved his way of diversity and transition since I am highly into pretty much any kind of music. I guess you can't please everyone though.

This being a classic rock board, most here are going to naturally be more captivated to the 60's/70's sound and I guess there won't be very many discussion outside the classic rock era which I also noticed the lack of discourse among other artist's work outside their supposed 'prime' era. Although, once they becomes 'adult contemporary,' even the adults don't seem to what to listen, so retirement is practically enforced.

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
I also noticed the lack of discourse among other artist's work outside their supposed 'prime' era. Although, once they becomes 'adult contemporary,' even the adults don't seem to what to listen, so retirement is practically enforced.

You can't just build it. You have to build it well and I suppose if that were the case, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

However, there are a number of artists whos work I've loved right up until the present. Yes, for example, has never put out a bad album in it's entire existence. Paul McCartney is another example. He's had a couple stinkers, but over all his work is first rate till the present day. James Taylor, Peter Gabriel, Queen (Up until Freddie died) AC/DC, Billy Joel, Genesis. I could go on. There are a number of members here who love their favourite artists entire body of work as well.

Last edited:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
This being a classic rock board, most here are going to naturally be more captivated to the 60's/70's sound and I guess there won't be very many discussion outside the classic rock era which I also noticed the lack of discourse among other artist's work outside their supposed 'prime' era. Although, once they becomes 'adult contemporary,' even the adults don't seem to what to listen, so retirement is practically enforced.

If you looked around you would see that there are plenty of discussions outside of "the classic rock era", over 500 threads in the 90's, 2000's, and 2010 sub forums alone for that matter. We here at CRF are a general music forum these days with moderate emphasis towards the 1960's and 70's, however that is far from all we discuss here. We are a classic rock board exclusively in name only.

Besides, you're not exactly encouraging a discussion about Elton's, or anyone else's, music beyond their prime era by talking down to people for preferring a certain period of an artist's career.

Serena

Reaction score
Part of a encouraging a discussion for this sort of concept may require or suggest a portion of listening which I cannot make anyone do. And yes I have looked around on this board, it is pretty fixed on strictly rock music and a collection of single threads(most of which are dead and concise) dedicated to other few aspects of music.

With all due respect, these forums of music(not just this board) have been copious in superficiality, a lack of(or quire rare) in-depth and legitimate debates. There's mostly just one dimensional chats full of one word or one sentence of a simple regard or list to personal preference; which is fine, but explanations of preference tend to stir more interest. Also with little to no comparing and contrasting, and then it's on to the next thread without any thorough discussion of a previous one. The most active threads have been game threads or simple 'what are you doing/eating/listening to now' type threads which are just to build posts with.

Music is not that one or two dimensional, there are so many concepts and elements that go into it that should strike a lifetime of discourse, instead of just clicking a 'like' or 'dislike' button, musicians and songwriters should especially know this. Why haven't I stirred up more talk? I guess I am waiting to see if it is still worth it first. From my experience of attempts, I suppose the interest level for these sort of enduring discussions have been quite low, no one must not care for the effort as well, I know essay writing has not been favored by many in school. I guess I just need to try harder though.

Anyway, it is not my intention to further derail what is left of this thread so I am done here. My apologizes if I come off a bit harsh, I just don't want to be around when the music dies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online