Elton John (Official Thread)

ANF

Reaction score
So why is everyone so dismissive over his later work if they do favor pop music? All I'm hearing is that his early 70's work is best because he 'rocked harder' then and his later work got too 'poppy,' whatever the hell that means.

What I really like is Elton post 1975, which I guess there isn't a thread about and would be pointless to make one since no one wants to talk about it. I guess poor Elton must be wasting his time if after forty years of work, only five of those years are apparently worth listen to. At least he's still making his way through live shows with these earlier songs, which are great shows for the likes of people here, but they are not meant for the rest of us die-hards.

There are some of us who like both. I am of the opinion that Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Captain Fantastic, Tumbleweed Connection and Honky Chateau are his best works... but I love a lot of his post-1975 material as well. The difference IMO between pre and post-1975 Elton is that up until 2001 the albums as a whole were very spotty. He had some albums (like Reg Strikes Back and Breaking Hearts) that were better than others (like Ice On Fire or Leather Jackets) but for the most part the 1976-2000 albums were largely driven by a few great singles and the rest of the album was lacking. For example, I loved the singles off Too Low For Zero (I'm Still Standing, I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues...) but the rest of the album is quite mediocre... on the other hand, there is not one clunker on Honky Chateau. That run of albums from the s/t to Rock Of The Westies (I know some hate the album but I actually like it, it's his heaviest album) were generally solid albums. While Caribou is seen as a lackluster filler album from that run, place it alongside his 80's and 90's work and its actually very strong in comparison, even though "Solar Prestige A Gammon" might be his worst song ever.

Since 2001 though IMO he's been working harder on delivering excellent ALBUMS again instead of using them as a vehicle for a good single or two. I agree that Songs From The West Coast is as close to the quality and caliber of 1970's Elton as it'll get.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Part of a encouraging a discussion for this sort of concept may require or suggest a portion of listening which I cannot make anyone do. And yes I have looked around on this board, it is pretty fixed on strictly rock music and a collection of single threads(most of which are dead and concise) dedicated to other few aspects of music.

With all due respect, these forums of music(not just this board) have been copious in superficiality, a lack of(or quire rare) in-depth and legitimate debates. There's mostly just one dimensional chats full of one word or one sentence of a simple regard or list to personal preference; which is fine, but explanations of preference tend to stir more interest. Also with little to no comparing and contrasting, and then it's on to the next thread without any thorough discussion of a previous one. The most active threads have been game threads or simple 'what are you doing/eating/listening to now' type threads which are just to build posts with.

Music is not that one or two dimensional, there are so many concepts and elements that go into it that should strike a lifetime of discourse, instead of just clicking a 'like' or 'dislike' button, musicians and songwriters should especially know this. Why haven't I stirred up more talk? I guess I am waiting to see if it is still worth it first. From my experience of attempts, I suppose the interest level for these sort of enduring discussions have been quite low, no one must not care for the effort as well, I know essay writing has not been favored by many in school. I guess I just need to try harder though.

Anyway, it is not my intention to further derail what is left of this thread so I am done here. My apologizes if I come off a bit harsh, I just don't want to be around when the music dies.

Lots and Lots of threads alive and kickin' here Serena...one of the busiest and most enthusiastic forums out there if you ask me.

We have PLENTY of discussion and I don't think that all the members here only like the older Elton.

Personally I do...I really do think his older work is his best work.

However I do like the later stuff and Songs From The West Coast is one of my faves.

Love The Emperor's New Clothes :grinthumb

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
last night I listened to the Hammersmith '73 show, ya know the one where he has a cold. Simply incredible how he pulled off a great show (with a little help from a drink or two and maybe some other substances) and the band was perfect. I highly recommend this show.

mattquarterstein

Autumn Wanderer
Reaction score
I saw The Captain and the Kid for a good price down at the store the other day, and I read on wikipedia how Elton was disappointed that didn't sell as well as he'd hoped. Well, I liked Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, and I liked the names of the songs for the Captain and the Kid. Hoping to give it a go.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I was driving home from work yesterday and Crocodile Rock was on the radio.

The DJ afterward said how he loved the way the falsetto faltered at the end of the song. I never really thought about it but it does go off huh....

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Had too much fun with that old tune to say anything bad about it MP...:nw:

:heheh:

Matt...Cosmic knows a lot more about later Elton albums than I do, but I am curious if the "Captain and the Kid" is a sequel to Captain Fantastic....:think:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^ I have the Captain and the Kid and I think it's AWESOME!! Really no BS!!

Is it a continuation? Not sure but it's themed after it. Were they not metaphors the first time around for Elton and Bernie??

As far as Crocodile Rock..the DJ wasn't even saying anything bad about it...I just never noticed that it faltered at the end or was slipping out of key...but only a DJ could bring something to one's attention when one wasn't paying attention to at first. As in me.

But Crocodile Rock is a GREAT song. :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Matt...Cosmic knows a lot more about later Elton albums than I do, but I am curious if the "Captain and the Kid" is a sequel to Captain Fantastic....:think:

I do and it most certainly is LG. Like "Captain Fantastic...", "Captain and the Kid" is autobiographical and chronicles Elton's and Bernie's lives since their partnership began. It's a great album and is a really great album to listen to front to back. :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online