Electric Light Orchestra (Official Thread)

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Been watching Jeff Lynne's ELO performance in Hyde Park, London, this summer. 50,000 there to see it and it is, for me, essential viewing. When ELO were at their peak in the '70s I tended to ignore them, a bit of 'music snobbery' going on there. But this is a great, great production from Jeff Lynne, with all of the hits from the '70s and more. What has astonished me is how he pulled it all together - himself, the band, the backing singers, and the BBC Concert Orchestra. The guy is a genius.

BBC iPlayer - Jeff Lynne's ELO at Hyde Park

Last edited:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Been watching Jeff Lynne's ELO performance in Hyde Park, London, this summer. 50,000 there to see it and it is, for me, essential viewing. When ELO were at their peak in the '70s I tended to ignore them, a bit of 'music snobbery' going on there. But this is a great, great production from Jeff Lynne, with all of the hits from the '70s and more. What has astonished me is how he pulled it all together - himself, the band, the backing singers, and the BBC Concert Orchestra. The guy is a genius.

BBC iPlayer - Jeff Lynne's ELO at Hyde Park

I watched the same concert, I have seen the docu before but missed the concert for some reason, I thought it was brilliant. A friend of mine explained how it came about as he listens to BBC radio 2 at work. Chris Evans does a show on the radio and he had Jeff Lynne as a guest, he asked Jeff if he missed playing live and Jeff said he did. He was asked if he would ever play live again and do ELO stuff and he said he thought that nobody would be interested.

Chris Evans asked listeners to text in if they would be interested and they got an overwhelming response so it was arranged to be done in Hyde Park. That is roughly the way my friend tells me, if anyone else has more info then please add.

Radagast

Reaction score
I have been a great ELO fan ever since they appeared on the scene. I believe that what first caught my attention was their use Violin and Cello. I could hardly wait to see them on Wolfman Jack's "Midnite Special". I was hypnotized , they were just that good. I treasure my incomplete collection of their music and will some day see it completed, as well as "The Traveling Wilburys" too.

I very much appreciate those of you that post , so that we may listen & enjoy.Thanks !

Radagast

Reaction score
Many of ELO's songs remain among my favorites. I hope that the new recordings will prove equal to their past work.

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
I don't think this band ever made a bad song. :grinthumb When you buy an album you get your money's worth for sure.

:grinthumb

Yes indeed, you got that right, dang straight, that's why I love ELO; Electric Light Orchestra, they are my favorite band of all-time!

Last edited:

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
Casey Kasem's American Top 40 from December 18th, 1976, was on SiriusXM 70s on 7 this weekend...

"This is Casey Kasem on American Top 40 in Hollywood, and now I have the latest hit by an English group who have found one of the most unusual theatrical gimmicks yet for a rock and roll concert, the group is, The Electric Light Orchestra, and we got the story from drummer Bev Bevan who tells it this way, at the end of their concert in Los Angeles last August the group returned for a final encore, and right in the middle of their song, the audience saw a huge hot air balloon rise up from behind the stage, it sailed over the audience up around 200 feet, and it had a large mirrored revolving globe dangling from its underside, then, 4 laser guns shot thick rays of green light at the ball as it slowly whirled around, creating the effect of millions of green raindrops falling all over the audience, and the surrounding hills, well the crowd went wild, and so did the local residents who looked outside and saw this, huge, eerie, green revolving ball of light hovering over the hills, well Bev Bevan said the police switchboard was swamped with phone calls from hundreds of frightened people who thought that they were witnessing the landing of a flying saucer, fortunately the group was prepared for that kind of reaction and they warned the police department in advance to tell folks exactly what it was, well we can chalk that one up as one of the most unusual gimmicks ever used at a rock and roll concert, by The Electric Light Orchestra, their current hit is moving up the chart at #19 this week, and it's titled, Livin' Thing..."

:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online