Electric Light Orchestra (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
She's told me that story a few times, it's the real deal Jeff Lynne went to university in Ohio and was her brother's roommate.

rockyraccoon

Reaction score
My brother is really stubborn. Regardless, we can all admit that Angie is a great song, no matter who wrote it. Also, i might need to message Magic and hear her tales, i love hearing stories from people who met musicians

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
She'll post in here if she reads our exchange, and she's as honest as the day is long so I will take her word over your brother's disbelief.;)

silverstar

Reaction score
That TV doc about Jeff on TV about 4 weeks ago was brilliant.
Filmed mainly in his luxurious home overlooking LA ( I would guess ! )
He seems to use rooms in there as his studio.

He showed us the guitar his dad bought him... for £2 !
and an old tape recorder with the old tape spools ( bought I guess in the 60s )
Amazingly that antique looking tape recorder allowed him to multi track back then !

That made me a songwriter.... said Jeff pointing to the guitar....
and that made me a producer..... said Jeff pointing to the old tape recorder

Roy Wood did nt hang around long in ELO and soon left to form Wizard.
Maybe Jeff was a bit of a control freak back then and needed to be in total control ....
otherwise ELO could have gone the way of the Moodies and become
a group packed with songwriting talent..... all speaking Brummie !

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
During the late bout of cold and snow we've experienced in the UK I've been working my way through the Black Sabbath, Saxon, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden collection with a few other heavy bands thrown in. As soon as the sun breaks through and a day's work is done ... out comes ELO and this will go on, with maybe some Beatles and Yes. For some reason I find ELO one of the most uplifting bands ever and I always seem to associate them with sunny days, strange that.

Strange Magic

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
An air of Beatles/George Martin influenced arrangements breathe mellifluously throughout many of the band's seventies works,but not so much that it stifles any ingredients necessary to true original creativity.Testament to this is the '95 surviving Beatles decision to incorporate Jeff Lynne's technical competencies into "Anthology".

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
As a Beatles fan, I honestly KNOW that no one could replace John Lennon. But during the Anthology project with Harrison alive still,

I always thought that they could have had a go with a new full length album and tour with Jeff Lynne on board.

:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
During the late bout of cold and snow we've experienced in the UK I've been working my way through the Black Sabbath, Saxon, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden collection with a few other heavy bands thrown in. As soon as the sun breaks through and a day's work is done ... out comes ELO and this will go on, with maybe some Beatles and Yes. For some reason I find ELO one of the most uplifting bands ever and I always seem to associate them with sunny days, strange that.

Strange Magic

They are a very upbeat band, and I play them when I'm in a "bouncy" mood for lack of a better term.

Going to need all the "uplifting" I can get over the next couple days another blizzard is passing through..

Picked up a nice vinyl edition of Face the Music a few weeks ago which completes my ELO vinyl must haves.:grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^^ I hope the snow doesn't drag on too long LG. I think in a way ELO carried the pop/rock torch in the 70's that the Beatles lit in the 60's. I get that same feel/vibe and I agree the influence of the fab four and George Martin on Jeff's music and production really stands out ... not a bad thing that.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online