Electric Light Orchestra (Official Thread)

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Happy stuff...

During the late bout of cold and snow we've experienced in the UK I've been working my way through the Black Sabbath, Saxon, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden collection with a few other heavy bands thrown in. As soon as the sun breaks through and a day's work is done ... out comes ELO and this will go on, with maybe some Beatles and Yes. For some reason I find ELO one of the most uplifting bands ever and I always seem to associate them with sunny days, strange that.

Strange Magic
All you have to do is listen to Mr. Blue Sky... :cheers2

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^^ Exactly, that was one of the first singles I bought as a kid gcczep, on purple/pink vinyl.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Played Discovery earlier today, my old beat up vinyl and it sounded surprisingly good...both musically and physically. I even listened to "Don't Bring Me Down" rather than skip over it...:heheh:

I think I'll keep this old bit of wax, I was time tripping back to my younger days when spinning it for the first time in decades.

51yprdf3uYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

silverstar

Reaction score
For some reason I find ELO one of the most uplifting bands ever and I always seem to associate them with sunny days, strange that.

Its because of their most famous song........ Mr Blue Sky....
blues skies... sun is on your shoulder...
very uplifting.... a classic song of the 70s

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Played Discovery earlier today, my old beat up vinyl and it sounded surprisingly good...both musically and physically. I even listened to "Don't Bring Me Down" rather than skip over it...:heheh:

I think I'll keep this old bit of wax, I was time tripping back to my younger days when spinning it for the first time in decades.

51yprdf3uYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Disco rock, or as you may call it disco very, is not too bad if it was made well and Jeff Lynne was the man for that that's for sure. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Disco rock, or as you may call it disco very, is not too bad if it was made well and Jeff Lynne was the man for that that's for sure. :grinthumb

Those of us that were out nightclubbing back in the 80's liked Disco...but it loses something when you are listening to it at home admittedly. It didn't do any lasting damage to my appreciation of other music and I even have 2 compilation CD's of my fave disco hits.:blush:

Discovery is more than just disco, sure the drums are bigger and more up front but most of the songs are just ELO pop to me. I was very surprised how much I enjoyed Discovery again.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Discovery conjures up good memories for me. Great time...my sister was the first to buy this and used to listen to it at her place. Of course I bought my own copy.

My fave from this is Horace Wimp :grinthumb

Marbles

Reaction score
I loathed it at the time, especially "Diary of Horace Wimp" and "Don't Bring Me Down"! "Confusion" and "Last Train To London" were tolerable. Time does mellow you though - I heard DBMD in the local Co-op a couple of weeks ago and nearly started singing along to it.

I still feel that ELO peaked and plateaued with "A New World Record". "Out of Blue" just about kept up the level but it was all downhill from then on.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Eldorado is their masterpiece to me, but I do love "A New World Record" and feel that was their last great album.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I just think Jeff Lynne has proven to be a well more than adequate writer and producer.After all,even the three surviving Beatles of '95 felt his talents well enough to work with THEM on their "Anthology".Now THAT'S a badge of honor Lynn can wear quite proudly...

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online