Electric Light Orchestra (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
img_11_6931_0

JeffLynne.jpg
jeffn.jpg

ELO Offical Website
ELO Youtube Channel

ELO, the first song I remember by these guys was a cover of Chuck Berry'*****, "Roll Over Beethoven". But I didn't buy an album until "Face The Music" came out in 1975, when I heard "Evil Woman" I had to have a copy. My favorite song off the the album was the opening instrumental track, "Fire On High", can't explain why but I just loved that song.

A few months later "Eldorado" was on sale at the local shop for $3.97, so I picked up a copy, and it knocked my socks off, and I was officially a fan of ELO.

Jeff Lynne was the driving force in the group, I will let Magic talk about him she has a "Unique" perspective to add to this thread. He and the drummer Bev Bevan were about the only two members to remain in the band over their long career, the line-up changes read like a soap opera, no surprise seeing more bands changed members routinely than ever stay together for a long time.

Discography:

1971 The Electric Light Orchestra (UK) / No Answer (US)
1973 ELO 2 (UK) / Electric Light Orchestra II (US)
1973 On the Third Day
1974 Eldorado, A Symphony
1975 Face the Music
1976 A New World Record
1977 Out of the Blue
1979 Discovery
1980 Xanadu
1981 Time
1983 Secret Messages
1986 Balance of Power
2001 Zoom

My collection of albums.

Eldorado
Face The Music
New World Record
Out Of The Blue
Discovery

+ The Definitive Collection (Compilation CD)

My favorite album is Eldorado, here's a great song.

My favorite recording.

Electric_Light_Orchestra_-_Eldorado.jpg

Electric_Light_Orchestra_-_Eldor-1.jpg

Muzoid

Reaction score
Re: Electric Light Orchestra

Totally awesome band...

I don't know what it is...but when I listen to classic rock radio, and an ELO song comes on, I'm like really excited regardless of what song.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

:lmao:...great picture Annie, and it about sums up his contributions to the band I would say.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Quite interesting how Electric Light Orchestra evolved and consisted of 3 guys which were involved in 60s pop group The Move. Jeff Lynne arrived late in The Moves lifecycle mid-1969 I have here in my book which was pretty much after the Move had their fair share of hits under Carl Wayne and Trevor Burton. Roy Wood and Bev Bevan though were part of the Move's original lineup. Musically both groups are quite different though and perhaps ELO brought other groups like 10cc onto the scene?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I was reading that earlier myself about the pre-history leading up to ELO and then Jeff Lynne pretty much assumed control of the band.

Not sure about the 10CC connection, they seem to have a few things in common with ELO. I will post my favorite 10CC album in a new thread I have planned for tomorrow.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Every one knows that Jeff Lynne was born in England, right? Well at one point in his life, during his early 20's, his family lived in the USA. How do I know this, because I have met him, and his parents too.

My eldest brother is the same age as Jeff, and they shared an apartment together in Columbus, OH. I was very young at the time, about 6 years old, but I have seen him many times as a child. He was always doing something related to music, and my brother has some pretty original tapes of them in their apartment. Before anyone asks, I don't have access to these tapes, my brother guards them with booby traps!!

My brother's first child is named after a song written by Lynne, even though he never got credit for the song, he did write it. Angie by the Stones, was written in that little Apt in Columbus, my brother has the original paper it was written on :)

Anyway, I may be able to raid his photo album.....I will see if he will share his pictures!

Reaction score

thats awesome magic... like literally awesome, I love Jeff Lynne's writing, and singing, but mostly writing, especially his work with Tom Petty and Wilbury's and that stuff

why can't I have a cool brother =(

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I agree Eberg about having a cool brother.

Magic how about an Autographed CD from your old chum JL?:D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online