Eagles (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Eagles

Well, I started with the Eagles in the 1970s with the vinyl, of which I have the first 5 (that's excluding the Greatest Hits sandwiched between OOTN & HC). In the UK, Best Of My Love as a single (45rpm vinyl) is what made the populace sit up and notice, and then the single and album One Of These Nights capulted the guys into the heights. Every juke box in each pub you went into would have One Of These Nights playing, and then Lyin Eyes came along with its edit, and that too did the business as a single. The back catalogue flew off the shelves and the rest is history. I had a look at the lists for the top ten Eagles songs, and can't believe how few people chose anything from Long Road Out Of Eden? The title track is simply outstanding, and of the studio albums, I'd choose it anyday above The Long Run or most of On The Border. Now I'll have to choose my own top ten.

I prefer the pre-Joe Walsh sound of the Eagles myself, and I like his work in the James Gang and solo better than his stint in the band. I don't have Long Road Out Of Eden, but The Long Run I bought when it was released and didn't think very highly of it at all.

I look forward to reading Your picks for top ten SteveB...:grinthumb

Jammo

Reaction score

Hmm... Hotel California, that song will never die. It is pure awesomeness.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

Well, I started with the Eagles in the 1970s with the vinyl, of which I have the first 5 (that's excluding the Greatest Hits sandwiched between OOTN & HC). In the UK, Best Of My Love as a single (45rpm vinyl) is what made the populace sit up and notice, and then the single and album One Of These Nights capulted the guys into the heights. Every juke box in each pub you went into would have One Of These Nights playing, and then Lyin Eyes came along with its edit, and that too did the business as a single. The back catalogue flew off the shelves and the rest is history. I had a look at the lists for the top ten Eagles songs, and can't believe how few people chose anything from Long Road Out Of Eden? The title track is simply outstanding, and of the studio albums, I'd choose it anyday above The Long Run or most of On The Border. Now I'll have to choose my own top ten.

I have the vinyl up through and including The Long Run, but for me, the go-to albums will always be the first 4. I value Leadon's and Meisner's influence on the band too much to have a favorite after they left.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Love this song and thread.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I'm a little surprised it took them so long to catch on in Britain. Didn't they work, at least initially, with Glyn Johns? Or do production credits not carry that much weight? I know I've always been influenced by them, but I might be a little strange in that regard.

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

That is funny Flower...:)

Here's my all time favorite Eagles album, as a rule I don't usually choose compilations but in this instance I'll have to make an exception.

The Eagles "Greatest Hits"...1971-1975. I bought this vinyl album in Vancouver on a sunny day a few weeks after it was released, at a legendary store back in those days,,,"A & B Sound". After decades of being one of the best music stores I have ever patronized, they went out of business last year, just a very sad day for all of us that shopped there over last 30 years. Anyway the trip to Vancouver was rare for us, and this time it was just my Dad and me, he went to the Mercury outboard service center to get a part for our motor, and dropped me off at the music store while he did his business.

The song "Take it Easy" was being played on the stores speaker system as I walked up the stairs and opened the door I was simply overwhelmed by the size of the place, by far the biggest record store I had ever been in. I spent about two hours just browsing before I picked up the Eagles record. I didn't have a lot of money back then so I couldn't afford anything else. Anyway that is why I love this album, it represents a moment in time that is forever etched into my consciousness.:grinthumb

the_eagles_greatest_hits_71-75_rema.jpg

the_eagles_greatest_hits_71-75_r-1.jpg

Witchy Woman RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLZ man :)

SteveB

Member. 50+
Reaction score

I'm a little surprised it took them so long to catch on in Britain. Didn't they work, at least initially, with Glyn Johns?

Craig, It's perhaps hard now at this 40-year remove to imagine and realise what the World was like before real mass communication. The Eagles recorded their first two LPs (albums) + a couple of songs for their 3rd in the UK (specifically London). However, in the UK in the 1970s, there were only 3 TV channels, 1 national 'pop' music station (the BBC's Radio 1), very little local radio, and moreover the 'pop music' side of things were deluged by Glam Rock - this is in part what caused the beginning of Punk Rock. I was DJay-ing by this point and heard of the Eagles through friends and liked what I heard. I bought the vinyl releases as they were issued, and played 'Take It Easy' for instance in clubs. However, until 'Best Of My Love' charted in around 1974(?), the Eagles probably couldn't have got arrested in the UK. They did one gig for BBC Television, which has been show several times since. But until One Of These Nights took off, they really weren't well known in the UK. Shame, but there you are. :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I grew up with the same situation Steve, we only had one channel for the longest time CBC. Then CTV was born and we finally had something else to watch. When we finally moved to a more developed area and found Cable TV for the first time, with 10 channels and color we sat in front of the telly for about 2 weeks just gobsmacked by all the choices.:grinthumb

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score

Love the Eagles. I know alot of people who hate them or are sick of them. The radio basically did them in by playing them every 15 minutes but I dont care. I love every era and line-up: the early country rock era, the mid 70's with the addition of Don Felder, and the late 70's Walsh/Schmidt era, and the reunite/break-up/sue me, sue you/reunite again/break-up era.

I don't care who hates 'em or how overplayed they are or how cash-grabbing they are. I like 'em and that's all I have to say about that.

SteveB

Member. 50+
Reaction score

^^^^ I agree. I think that at the end of the day, whatever band we like, we listen to them for the music rather than the politics. I mean, let's not get started on Pink Floyd for instance...:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online