Does Prog lack emotion?

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Who cares if some random journalist thinks that Prog Rock is emotionless??!! We all like what we like. Nobody can come around and suddenly change that by stating a subjective opinion. And besides, even if it is emotionless it is still possible to enjoy the music, isn't it? They're 2 different things.

As for me, I'm not a huge fan of Prog Rock anyway. Pink Floyd is one of my favourite bands (in my Top 5) but I never got too much into the other bands. Tried listening to Yes' Siberian Khatru, Genesis Firth Of Fifth, Dream Theater's Metropolis and so on but none of those significantly piqued my interest to explore those bands further.

Phil Collins' Genesis is an exception though. To be very honest, I prefer the more pop version of Genesis fronted by Collins. I never understood all the hate for him... although I will agree he sometimes gets cheesy, case in point: Can't Stop Loving You.

An exception to all this is King Crimson's In The Court of the Crimson King. I absolutely love that song!! But for some strange reason, I've never bothered to listen to the rest of that album properly.

Bottomline: Enjoy your Prog and don't care what some journalist thinks!

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I understand that sometimes some of the old classic prog-rock pieces may seem a bit mechanical,but on some of the better tracks,say by YES or ELP,there are proper significant visionary elements.I do realize the genre hasn't exactly produced some of the more pleasantly melodic moments in rock,but the majority of instrumental explorations I've heard are provocative in their own distinct ways.Let's be fair to these artists here and realize that prog is short for progressive,which means that the artist is boldly searching for new ways to incorporate the rock medium into pop culture in alternate perspective,trying ferverously to avoid being cliche and derivative.I persoanlly would rather fail at such endeavour rather than have a major hit using some old worn out approach.At least it shows some initiative.........

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I love prog and I think there is plenty of emotion imo, I just love the way it roles and winds round and round, just makes me relaxed and stress free. Not everyones cup of tea but very popular, on the other hand I don't get too indepth about it just really enjoy the vibes:grinthumb

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
The whole prog thing lends itself to many possibilities of experimentation.There are so many ways to be "progressive" whether you're discussing music,politics or whatever.It's a palate that can be filled with much new music ideology,unlike say rap and country,genres that can only be expounded on so much and to considerably much shorter reaches of expressive aspiration..........

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
The whole prog thing lends itself to many possibilities of experimentation.There are so many ways to be "progressive" whether you're discussing music,politics or whatever.It's a palate that can be filled with much new music ideology,unlike say rap and country,genres that can only be expounded on so much and to considerably much shorter reaches of expressive aspiration..........

Agreed:grinthumb

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

:grinthumb

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
I never quite got the 'Hate Phil Collins' thing. He did a bit of prog with Genesis, then entered a period in his life when he was clearly a supremely talented song writer and producer, not to mention singer. Oh... and he did a bit of acting as well! What a twat! :gig There has been talk of a Genesis reunion with both Phil and Peter Gabriel. Can't see it myself, but it would be great if it happened.

Actually, my Phil Collins comment was poorly judged and somewhat unintentionally ironic, given that's he is/ was not only a founding member of Genesis, but one of the best rock drummers ever. Somewhat less ironically though, his solo stuff is the very antithesis of progressive, adventurous music.

Last edited:

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Who cares if some random journalist thinks that Prog Rock is emotionless??!! We all like what we like. Nobody can come around and suddenly change that by stating a subjective opinion. And besides, even if it is emotionless it is still possible to enjoy the music, isn't it? They're 2 different things.

As for me, I'm not a huge fan of Prog Rock anyway. Pink Floyd is one of my favourite bands (in my Top 5) but I never got too much into the other bands. Tried listening to Yes' Siberian Khatru, Genesis Firth Of Fifth, Dream Theater's Metropolis and so on but none of those significantly piqued my interest to explore those bands further.

Phil Collins' Genesis is an exception though. To be very honest, I prefer the more pop version of Genesis fronted by Collins. I never understood all the hate for him... although I will agree he sometimes gets cheesy, case in point: Can't Stop Loving You.

An exception to all this is King Crimson's In The Court of the Crimson King. I absolutely love that song!! But for some strange reason, I've never bothered to listen to the rest of that album properly.

Bottomline: Enjoy your Prog and don't care what some journalist thinks!

Agreed. Debating this stuff is fun though. If not, what's the point in this forum as we could all rightly conclude "it's based on personal preference" and shut up shop? As for said journalist, said magazine is generally strong on quality articles, so I was simply making the point that they didn't get a fair hearing, which was a surprise.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
You know, people, yesterday I'd listened carefully to King Crimson's "21's Century Schizoid Man" in my headphones, and suddenly found, that muscaly component of this song has powerful sexual energy! It's just volcanic! Prog-rock, made with soul and talent, clearly has strong emotions! 2_sm16.gif

Last edited:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I think that prog rock, like metal, generates emotion rather than expresses it. What I mean is, a folk singer sits down with their guitar, or a blues band belts out a tune, and they're telling you exactly how they feel. That can cause a very personal sense of empathy. With a prog rock song on the other hand you may not be empathizing with the singer, but you can feel the song none the less. I have no idea what the hell Yes was thinking when they were recording Close to the Edge, but I sure as hell get a lot of feelings when I listen to that song. To me it's no more or less emotional, it's just a different approach.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online