Does Prog lack emotion?

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
So, here's a debate that I'm confident will polarise even the most open-minded of rock fans. I went to see Dream Theater in Wolverhampton, England with some friends on Saturday past. I've kind of enjoyed aspects of this band over the years, but largely went along because (a) I love music generally, so can easily be persuaded to check a band out on a friend's recommendation (b) I knew they were fantastic musicians.

I have to say I was completely blown away in every respect and promptly got hold of the key releases I didn't yet have from their back catalogue.

I also eagerly devoured a last-but-one edition interview with frontman James LaBrie in Classic Rock Magazine, which I was amazed to find absolutely littered with accusations to the effect that Dream Theater's music is devoid of soul and emotion, leaving said journalist somehow surprised that LaBrie was becoming irritated at that very suggestion (choice journalistic paraphrased quote something along the lines of "I researched for the interview by listening to all of the Dream Theater back catalogue over a weekend; not something I'd recommend".

Assuming we generally accept that descriptor as valid; call it what you will- progressive metal, experimental metal, art metal...you know what I mean - it's effectively bands of the ilk of Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Rush and latterly Dream Theater - why is that said music form is so often described as lacking in emotional content or robotic? Every note of that Dream Theater show was dripping with sweat and emotion, as were the tunes.

Same with the aforementioned bands. Yes' Close To The Edge, Genesis' Selling England By The Pound; Rush's Moving Pictures, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon...all LP's chock full of lyrics discussing or recalling the human condition in some form or other and backed with the most musically emotive soundtrack imaginable (Pink Floyd's Great Gig In The Sky lacking soul or emotion anyone?...not unless you're hard of hearing).

Very strange for a magazine of Classic Rock's standing and perhaps a little shallow IMHO, but I'm open to the debate.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Call it morbid fascination but I would really like to hear the 'logic' behind that statement. I really can't think of any genre of rock that encompasses more emotions (sometimes in a single song) than progressive. Dream Theater can be a little robotic in my opinion but compared to a lot of other bands they are (as you say) dripping with emotion.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
So, here's a debate that I'm confident will polarise even the most open-minded of rock fans. I went to see Dream Theater in Wolverhampton, England with some friends on Saturday past. I've kind of enjoyed aspects of this band over the years, but largely went along because (a) I love music generally, so can easily be persuaded to check a band out on a friend's recommendation (b) I knew they were fantastic musicians.

I have to say I was completely blown away in every respect and promptly got hold of the key releases I didn't yet have from their back catalogue.

I also eagerly devoured a last-but-one edition interview with frontman James LaBrie in Classic Rock Magazine, which I was amazed to find absolutely littered with accusations to the effect that Dream Theater's music is devoid of soul and emotion, leaving said journalist somehow surprised that LaBrie was becoming irritated at that very suggestion (choice journalistic paraphrased quote something along the lines of "I researched for the interview by listening to all of the Dream Theater back catalogue over a weekend; not something I'd recommend".

Assuming we generally accept that descriptor as valid; call it what you will- progressive metal, experimental metal, art metal...you know what I mean - it's effectively bands of the ilk of Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Rush and latterly Dream Theater - why is that said music form is so often described as lacking in emotional content or robotic? Every note of that Dream Theater show was dripping with sweat and emotion, as were the tunes.

Same with the aforementioned bands. Yes' Close To The Edge, Genesis' Selling England By The Pound; Rush's Moving Pictures, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon...all LP's chock full of lyrics discussing or recalling the human condition in some form or other and backed with the most musically emotive soundtrack imaginable (Pink Floyd's Great Gig In The Sky lacking soul or emotion anyone?...not unless you're hard of hearing).

Very strange for a magazine of Classic Rock's standing and perhaps a little shallow IMHO, but I'm open to the debate.

I take every copy of 'Classic Rock' (hard copy - I'm old fashioned). The journalism is generally very good, but you get the odd one where too much of the journalist's individual opinion comes across (ie he/she doesn't like the band they are reporting on). The Dream Theater interview was a prime example. I thought that quote about listening to stuff over the weekend was a bit shocking actually. You expect your rock journalists to know their stuff. As for the general vibe of the thread, prog, by it's very nature, is more thoughtful than any other form of popular music.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE progressive rock and always have, I disagree with that journalist's blanket statement that DT lacks emotion and to talk like that when interviewing LaBrie shows a lack of class in my view.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Progressing...

What do they mean by soul and emotion anyway? A gritty sound, the funky rhythms, street "feel" or a horn section? It's a completely different genre that are foreign to some listeners. I never got a handle on it meself. Does it make it undesirable? No. I agree with the comments that bands that constitute the progressive landscapes are philosophical and thoughtful.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Personally, I agree (to an extent) with the person that wrote the piece in the first post. To me, the vast majority of prog is emotionless showboating by the various musicians. That's not to say that it can't be enjoyable, but I find that a great many songs that are 8 to 20 minutes long to be quite boring and emotionless. Obviously around here I'm in the minority and that's fine. I find the concert footage for many bands as well as their studio work to be well done, musically.

:confused:

JM2CW, we all get something different out of various genres of music.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Call it morbid fascination but I would really like to hear the 'logic' behind that statement. I really can't think of any genre of rock that encompasses more emotions (sometimes in a single song) than progressive. Dream Theater can be a little robotic in my opinion but compared to a lot of other bands they are (as you say) dripping with emotion.

I love DT but I also agree with this too. There can be times where their music just lacks the emotional sound to it. I prefer Opeth and bands like Rush for the reason that their music sounds nothing robotic at all.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Rush never seemed to lose sight that they were at heart a rock and roll band. That is not always the case with bands that try for progressive because it seems a lot of them have contempt for raw rock. Rush never seemed to have this so this is perhaps they were the first progressive band to really appeal to me.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Call it morbid fascination but I would really like to hear the 'logic' behind that statement. I really can't think of any genre of rock that encompasses more emotions (sometimes in a single song) than progressive.

:grinthumb:

I don't know if I would go that far but I've seen too many incredible progressive rock bands for 38 years and have met enough of them to know that type of comment is very disrespectful and IMHO thoughtless. How about going up to Jimmy Page and telling him he is show boating and not emotional. He would laugh at you or punch you in the face. Most prog rock guys are smiling and can be just as entertaining as a punk rock or classic rock(non prog band).

716790232_7e2eb4e9f1.jpg
2620542276_64566683b7.jpg
3658238741_107eb33bbb.jpg
386172253_f7b5c5ba0f_o.jpg

Look I get a knock on some of the lyrics and long passages. I don't eat sleep and drink prog but sometimes it is what I want to hear. I listen to jazz and classical too but what is nice about prog/fusion is it has some rock in it.
Plus you haven't heard the bad prog bands. :gig

I'm not a fan of Dream Theater although I do like Liquid Tension Experiment but realize prog rock is more than just a few rock albums (I have 100's of albums I would classify as prog). I get someone who doesn't like prog but don't knock it, its most likely influenced something you listen too and will listen too. :D However, I'm not a normal bird I've been listening to so called boring music since the 70's. Going thru all my weather report albums today how about five guys soloing at the same time. :wa

here is a link to 10 years of NEARfest pictures please find this guy just standing in place and looking bored.

Flickr Search: nearfest

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Members online