Does Prog lack emotion?

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
I agree that his solo stuff for the most part is not up to par with the rest of his career, but you've got to take Phil Collins out of the 1980's context he's been associated with for so long.

Look at his career as a whole:

early-mid 70's: straight Prog with Genesis

late 70's: Jazz Fusion with Brand X (my favorite)

1980's : Genesis' pop phase and his own solo pop career, which was more successful than anything he ever did with Peter Gabriel era Genesis. Which just goes to show the terrible taste in music the general public has! :D Popular music is for the masses and
just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good.

Obviously Prog is not for everyone.

Last edited:

Khor1255

Reaction score
late 70's: Jazz Fusion with Brand X (my favorite)
Couldn't agree more. Anytime someone ells me he's they're favorite drummer I think of that stuff and have to say...well you may have a point.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I for one don't believe that Prog lacks emotion.It's emotions are merely expressed far more in technical musicianship and studio wizardy rather than lyrics.And I wholeheartedly agree with the previous reference to Mr. Phil Collins.Man what a sell out and I think one of the most over rated songsters of all time.In the eighties and nineties,he delivered a lot of fluff pieces and near nauseating schmaltz.No idea how he won the 1985 Album of the Year Grammy for his "No Jacket Required"Politics I guess.Even the album's title hardly exhibits any true imagination or creativity.But then,the Grammys people have a long history of giving awards to recordings that didn't even deserve nominations as far as I'm concerned.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online