Do you think, with time, 80s and 90s bands will be labeled "Classic Rock"?

Lavender10

Cult of Personality
Reaction score
Im interested in people's opinions on this matter. As it is, 50s 60s and 70s music is considered "Classic Rock" while 80s and 90s music serves as the bridge between modern rock. Do you think that in time, these eras will be considered ancient and 80s non-metal, 90s punk bands, alternative Pioneers, Grunge, etc will be called classic rock? Or do you believe that the banner "Classic Rock" will only apply to the 50s-70s bands, having contributed so much to the genre that they will live in infamy? Again Id love to hear thoughts on this :)

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
^^

Like 70's said, the 80's are already being lumped into the 'Classic Rock' category.

I think the term has different meanings for different people, though. I have cultivated a theory about this.

For the people that grew up in the 60s and 70s, the term Classic Rock is refers to a genre.

For the people that hit their musical stride after that, the term Classic Rock has more to do with the age of the song than anything else.

This is just a theory of course.

I've always referred to 80s music as 80s music, with some subgenres,, such as New Wave or Club or whatever.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am like Vehicle, I have my own theory about the term "classic rock". Classic Rock: Genre vs. Era of Time vs. Age of the Music

The Classic Rock era to me is from the mid 60's - early 80's. (Era of Time)

But I feel with time, the late 80's will also be included in the definition.

Aero

Reaction score
I'm an 80s kid but I still like to think of classic rock as 60s and 70s.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
It's a good question. As is "How do you define classic rock?". I find myself going with mid 60's - mid 80's as maybe a more album orientated era ... I wonder if the period when MTV and CD became really popular could be worth thinking about as a cut off point, when the newer mediums took over in numbers from Radio and Vinyl. Anyway in answer to the question I reckon I can see a time when later 80's, 90's etc will be considered classic rock.

jtrichey13

Hall of Fame Guru
Reaction score
Some 80s rock is definitely considered classic rock by some people. Like The Police, Genesis, Journey, etc.

I think eventually 90s acts like Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkiins will also be considered classic rock, maybe not too far away.

Julie

Reaction score
I don't see why contemporary songs that sound like classic 70s rock say, can't be called classic rock!

Death on Credit

Reaction score
The "classic" period of the 60's and 70's is already composed of so many very different genres and styles of rock that it wouldn't really be a stretch to say that at some point the 80's and 90's will also be lumped under that umbrella. Similarly, in about 30 years, today's music will probably be called classic rock too.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online