Dire Straits (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Dire Straits

^^I remember you being fond of Communique CP/M,,,and because of your influence I went back and listened to it again and found it much more enjoyable than I remembered when I bought it back in the late 70's.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Re: Dire Straits

^^I remember you being fond of Communique CP/M,,,and because of your influence I went back and listened to it again and found it much more enjoyable than I remembered when I bought it back in the late 70's.

It goes back to when I was a kid listening to my Money For Nothing album on Tape. As soon as I saw that Communiqué album cover I was drawn to it, but I love the cover to Dire Straits as well. Initally a friend gave me their Dire Straits album on Vinyl and because it was in Excellent Condition, I just happened to come across Communiqué at a Record Shop and impulse brought it. Of course it wasn't quite in the same condition as my friends Dire Straits album (even though I paid good money for it). Just having another look at the Vinyl of it, it looks fine.

Listening to all of them early albums to their big Brothers In Arms album, their all really quite good and they don't sound like your usual 80s group. I haven't heard "On Every Street" in ages though, I think it was okay, though I guess people put "Brothers In Arms" as their Definitive Album.

Is anything known about Dire Straits Singles? Presume "Twisting By The Pool" has to be one given it's not on any of the Albums, anyone know the B-Side track?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^For me the debut and then Making Movies are my two favorites, but I like them right up to Brother's in Arms...after that I lost track of them.

I can't remember the B-side to "Twisting....", I never bought the single.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
^^For me the debut and then Making Movies are my two favorites, but I like them right up to Brother's in Arms...after that I lost track of them.

I can't remember the B-side to "Twisting....", I never bought the single.

Yeah Dire Straits only had one more studio album after BIA. "On Every Street" came out in the early 90s before Dire Straits would finally call it a day again for good. "Calling Elvis" was the single from that album which I remember them playing on the radio.

Yeah I should of checked Wikipedia which has details on the albums, singles & EPs Dire Straits has done. Twisting By The Pool was released on an EP titled ExtendedancEPlay which given it's upbeat rock'n'roll tempo was perhaps a wise move instead of having it on Love Over Gold Album, for some reason I would of thought "Industrial Disease" would of been on ExtendedancEPlay as well, anyway there were UK & US versions of this EP, the US version has an extra track on it:

UK Version:

Side 1:

1. Twisting by the Pool

Side 2:

1. Two Young Lovers
2. If I Had You

US Version:

Side 1:

1. Twisting by the Pool
2. Badges, Posters, Stickers, T-Shirts

Side 2:

1. Two Young Lovers
2. If I Had You

Berserker

Reaction score
I am listening to Alchemy - Dire Straits Live.

Here is a link on spotify: Alchemy by Dire Straits on Spotify

I hope it's good, I have never heard their live stuff, only thing of theirs I have is a greatest hits cd. (or best of, whatever, a compilation album).

Squidbilly

Tunes from the shed
Reaction score
Dire Straits Compilation disc I would make.
1-Heavy Fuel
2-Industrial Disease
3-Money for Nothin (Uncut)
4-Telegraph Road
5-Skate Away
6-Down to the water line
7-Sultans of Swing
8-Ride across the river
9-So far away
10-Fade to Black
Heavy Fuel

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Have all their albums remastered to the hilt, Mark is a great guitarist and I have most of his solo stuff which is brilliant, have seen him live since he left Straits and he does a few of their songs and is fantastic. Wish I had got a t-shirt from when I saw them all those years ago:(

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
1-Heavy Fuel
2-Industrial Disease
4-Telegraph Road
5-Skate Away
6-Down to the water line
7-Sultans of Swing
8-Ride across the river
9-So far away
10-Fade to Black
Heavy Fuel

That's a good set list Squidbilly, but I would add Six Blade Knife to my compilation, I love the feel of that song.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
1-Heavy Fuel
2-Industrial Disease
4-Telegraph Road
5-Skate Away
6-Down to the water line
7-Sultans of Swing
8-Ride across the river
9-So far away
10-Fade to Black
Heavy Fuel

I like that list, some of their lesser known stuff on there, but it's all phenomenal music. A pic of Knopfler usually appears in my CRF sig, but I'm giving him a rest for the time being, so that tells you where he appears on my all time list of music heroes...the latest Knopfler double-album 'Privateering' still remains unchallenged as my favourite album of 2012.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online