Dire Straits (Official Thread)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Re: Dire Straits

"Brothers in Arms" was the first song that I heard by Dire Straits. It came up on my Pandora channel (following it was also the first Rory Gallagher song I ever heard so it was a good day once upon a time ago) and upon hearing it I was like "Wow...how have I never heard this band before?".

Funny coincidence is that I finally started my vinyl collection last night and "Brothers in Arms" is one of the six that I have and it looks brand spankin' new which is even MORE awesome. :grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

Fairly big fan of Dire Straits here. I only have the best of CD mentioned in the first post, and Love Over Gold but every track from those albums is brilliant.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

They are all good, always remember Eric Clapton coming on to play with Mark, doing Wonderful tonight, they played well together.

Last edited:

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score

Eberg, if you're going to pick up an album, Making Movies is a great choice for a first disc!

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I saw Mark Knopfler with Eric Clapton in the 80's and it was great but I would have given diamonds to have been at this show.

:bow:

Reaction score

Eberg, if you're going to pick up an album, Making Movies is a great choice for a first disc!

Second actually:D
I forgot I had my brother's Brothers In Arms CD:grinthumb

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score

I saw Mark Knopfler with Eric Clapton in the 80's and it was great but I would have given diamonds to have been at this show.

:bow:

That was great. As good as Mark Knophler is, Chet Atkins is that much better!

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Just to make things interesting I've taken all my 5 Dire Straits Studio albums (Dire Straits, Communiqué, Making Movies, Love Over Gold & Brothers In Arms) and have put them all onto one MP3 CD (using the Highest Quality 320kbps). The result is one really long CD which left only around 190Mb or so on the Disk, I even went to the trouble of turning their crossfading song (Single handed sailor/Follow me home) into one lengthy track so it wouldn't ruin the horrible pause that Mp3s make when switching between files which worked perfectly (using Audacity and saving that Mp3 at 320 as well).

Because Dire Straits made such lengthy stuff though and long albums, it's definitely one to play when travelling upstate, I think I might even be able to drive upto my old country home (2.5 Hour trip) on that one CD! :wtf:

The album I haven't played of their's in a while seems to be Making Movies and while there's the odd track which is okay, some of their other tunes were really good. But from time to time I'm still playing Communiqué, most people seem to cringe when it's that album, but I think it's just great! :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online