Dire Straits (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^No worries TS I removed the duplicate post.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Thanks my Lord!!...I was supposed to edit and I think I clicked on quote or something instead.

Here's my Top 10 Dire Straits (not including Knopfler solo)...I don't normally do Top 10's but nowadays it's easy, I just look at the thing on my latest MP3 player that tells me how many plays each track has had, and the 10 'most played' come up on the screen, I guess by default the 10 tracks you play the most of any band/artist have to be your 10 favourites, and you don't even have to think about it!!

1. On Every Street
2. Telegraph Road
3. Brothers in Arms
4. Private Investigations
5. Sultans of Swing
6. Your Latest Trick
7. Calling Elvis
8. Planet of New Orleans
9. Romeo and Juliet
10. Once Upon a Time in the West

Can't wait for MK to tour here next year, he's out on the road in the US supporting Dylan right now, and I could have gone last week, but I saw them both in Manchester England a year or so ago, and much as I love Dylan as a song writer and a recording artist, live he was just excruciatingly awful, the worst thing I ever heard, and so the earlier superb 60-minute Knopfler set was obliterated from memory, so I'm waiting for MK to tour headlining, which he will in the USA next year.

Reaction score
Thanks my Lord!!...I was supposed to edit and I think I clicked on quote or something instead.

Here's my Top 10 Dire Straits (not including Knopfler solo)...I don't normally do Top 10's but nowadays it's easy, I just look at the thing on my latest MP3 player that tells me how many plays each track has had, and the 10 'most played' come up on the screen, I guess by default the 10 tracks you play the most of any band/artist have to be your 10 favourites, and you don't even have to think about it!!

1. On Every Street
2. Telegraph Road
3. Brothers in Arms
5. Sultans of Swing
6. Your Latest Trick
7. Calling Elvis
8. Planet of New Orleans
9. Romeo and Juliet

Can't wait for MK to tour here next year, he's out on the road in the US supporting Dylan right now, and I could have gone last week, but I saw them both in Manchester England a year or so ago, and much as I love Dylan as a song writer and a recording artist, live he was just excruciatingly awful, the worst thing I ever heard, and so the earlier superb 60-minute Knopfler set was obliterated from memory, so I'm waiting for MK to tour headlining, which he will in the USA next year.

Very Nice List...Telegraph Road is just an amazing song! MK was a genius...

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

1. On Every Street
2. Telegraph Road
3. Brothers in Arms
5. Sultans of Swing
6. Your Latest Trick
7. Calling Elvis
8. Planet of New Orleans
9. Romeo and Juliet

I've always had a great fondness for that song personally. It might be my favorite by the Dire Straits. :grinthumb

foreverblue

Reaction score
i agree with grendel, the first three albums are fantastic, making movies being my favorite and the first album i ever owned. i like love over gold, alchemy and brothers in arms, but after a lot of listens brothers in arms grates as being commercial.
on every street, was the first dire straits album i didn't bother buying, and i have no intention of buying. from the stuff i've heard, it sounds like mark knopler was trying to create brothers in arms ii.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Picked up a nice vinyl copy of Making Movies two weeks ago, then I was sniffing about some online record shops and could get a new 180 gram HQ vinyl pressing...I'll think about it anyway.:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Would get the Debut as well if I could Sweaty, those are my two favorites.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online