Dire Straits (Official Thread)

F

FoxyPage

Re: Dire Straits, What Do You Think

Dire Straits = Overrated.

Some people I know talk about them as if they're one of the greatest bands ever. Money for Nothing is one of my most hated songs ever.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Dire Straits, What Do You Think

Dire Straits = Overrated.

Some people I know talk about them as if they're one of the greatest bands ever. Money for Nothing is one of my most hated songs ever.

To each his own, dude! They were never over commercialized to begin with, how can they be overrated?

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Re: Dire Straits

I saw them live once and have seen Mark do solo stuff, they were great, I love telegraph road and Romeo and Juliet.......

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

I really like a lot of Dire Straits music. I never thought of them as being overrated. My favourite song is Brothers In Arms.

Reaction score

I hadn't realized there was a Dire Straights thread up....

my favorites are Romeo and Juliet, Tunnel Of Love, So Far Away, and Walk Of Life... Romeo and Juliet is what got me into them... I'd always like Sultans Of Swing, but it never inspired me to really listen to them... I found Romeo and Juliet by accident, I heard "Just Like romeo and Juliet" by the Reflections on the radio, but I didn't know what it was, so I tried listening to the Dire Straights song, and completely forgot about the Reflections until about a month later, I like that song too:heheh:
but I have not bought any albums from them yet... I need to, they are on the list for the next trip to the store:grinthumb

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

If you want to get the full Dire Straits experience, listen to a few songs that aren't usually played on the radio:

Where Do You Think You're Going

Expresso Love

Down To The Waterline

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Really like Mark Knopfler a ton.

EB I can recommend the five albums I own, and I bought them on vinyl before replacing them on CD.

Dire Straits....aces and there is so much more to this record than Sultans of Swing...if you had a good stereo crank up "Six Blade Knife", it has a great bass line.

Communique...Have to thank CP/M for championing this one, I revisited it after we debated it's merits and I like it more now than when I bought it.

Making Movies...Took me a while to warm up to this one, but now it's my favorite of their whole catalog.

Love Over Gold...Telegraph is a great song.

Brothers In Arms...Another top notch album...and this is where I stop with DS.

Reaction score

Making Movies is where I planned to start:grinthumb

my brother actually has a CD of Brothers In Arms, so at least I have that... I forgot about that:D

gguerra

Reaction score

Dire Straits favorites

Debut Album
Every song

Communiqué
Once Upon a Time in the West

Making Movies
Tunnel of Love
Romeo and Juliet
Skateaway
Expresso Love

Brothers in Arms
The was the first CD I actually bought.. Sounded great (All digital)
So Far Away
Walk of Life
Ride Across the River
The Man's Too Strong
One World

You'll notice I left out "Money for Nothing".. Was good in 1985, but totally overplayed now..

They had a couple of albums after this but it just wasn't the same for me. Still love Mark Knopfler though.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ONVMollie

Members online