Dire Straits (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Funny you mention that, but "Brothers in Arms" was the first CD I ever owned. My brother gave it to me for Christmas before I even had a CD player...:oyea:

I don't hate that album, but with time being at a premium as I grow older...:gg:...when I want my DS fix it will be the albums I enjoy more.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Love Alchemy, was one of the first CD's I purchased, love the sound and of course it has the early classic on there. There is a Blu-Ray of the concert but it has some songs missing which is annoying and why I have not purchased it...

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Mark Knopfler’s ‘Privateering’ Finally Gets a U.S. Release Date

MarkKnopfler_Privateering_Cover.jpg

Source Link

Last fall, Dire Straits frontman Mark Knopfler released an acclaimed double album, ‘Privateering.’ Or should we say he released it everywhere but in the U.S. due to legal snafus with Knopfler’s stateside record company, Warner Bros.

But now, thanks to a worldwide deal with Universal Music Group’s Verve Records, ‘Privateering’ will finally be released in the U.S. on Sept. 10.

“Mark has long been one of the most innovative and successful artists in music,” Max Hole, chairman and CEO of UMG International, said in a press release. “We’re thrilled he’s decided to sign to Verve so that we are now working with him everywhere across the world.”

‘Privateering’ (available for pre-order now) is the first double album of Knopfler’s 35-year career, but it may not be his last. “The older I get, the more I want to write,” he said. “I’m enjoying the process more than ever, writing, recording and playing live, I enjoy all of it. I’m almost tripping over songs.

“I chose to make a double album this time just because of the sheer volume of material,” he continued. “I didn’t want to separate songs into genres, and I didn’t want to leave too many songs on the shelf. I just wanted it to be a reflection of the fantastic sessions we had.”

The record features many musicians Knopfler has worked with for years, including Guy Fletcher (keyboards), Richard Bennett (guitar), Jim Cox (piano), Glenn Worf (bass), Mike McGoldrick (whistle and flute), John McCusker (fiddle) and the recent addition of Ian Thomas (drums). Special guests include Paul Franklin (pedal steel), Kim Wilson, (harmonica), Tim O’Brien (mandolin) and the Wailin’ Jennys’ singer Ruth Moody.

“With a great bunch of players, it’s the same as a great group of actors reading a script from the page, the thing can come alive in ways it just never has before,” Knopfler added. “This is the band I have been working toward my whole life.”

Marbles

Reaction score
Broadly speaking, I liked each Dire Straits album less than the preceding one - there's little that I dislike on "Dire Straits" and "Communique", a couple of duffers on "Makin' Movies", side 2 of "Love Over Gold" pales into insignificance compared to side 1. "Brothers In Arms" I like very little of and "On Every Street" I have no time for at all!

Possibly my views are coloured by the fact that they are a band that I was into from the beginning and first saw live in '78 with the original line-up. The more polished they got, the more I felt that they lost the heart of the music.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I'm quite a big fan of Dire Straits (and Mark Knopfler) - I first discovered the band age 13 when I heard Sultans of Swing on my dad's ''Money for Nothing'' CD - I was instantly drawn to this song and have considered it a personal favourite since. However, I did not really explore the band any further until just over a year ago when I heard ''Lady Writer'' on the radio - I liked the song a lot, which led to me exploring and downloading their studio albums.

My rankings of the albums I've heard:

1) Love Over Gold - This contains my favourite DS track, Telegraph Road, a true masterpiece which fully justifies its 14 minute+ length - I love pretty much everything about this song. It Never Rains is another personal favourite, with its epic guitar solo, and I really enjoy the atmospherics of the title track and ''Private Investigations''. I like ''Industrial Disease as well'', not as much as the other four as it sounds somewhat dated compared to the others, although I find the lyrics and the guitar compensate for this. Overall I regard this album as the band's peak as there are no clear weak points and I find it very enjoyable to listen from beginning to end.

2) the debut album - Excellent debut album with no really weak or obvious filler tracks. ''Sultans of Swing'' is a classic but it is far from being the album's only great track, I like ''In The Gallery'', ''Down To The Waterline'' and ''Water Of Love'' a lot as well. I must also mention ''Six Blade Knife'', which didn't grab me at first but has grown on me considerably - it's quite brilliant in a very unstated way. ''Southbound Again'' probably does least for me on here but I still think it's a decent track. One other thing I like about this album is that a lot of songs reference particular cities or locations, for example 'Down To The Waterline'' is set in Newcastle, ''Wild West End'' is in London etc.

3) Making Movies - I'm happy to listen to arguments that is DS's best studio album, I don't think there's an awful lot wrong with the first six tracks and it's probably the most dynamic album they have in terms of pacing. Side one of the original LP is fantastic, with ''Tunnel Of Love'', ''Romeo And Juliet'' and ''Skateaway'' all being great songs. I do like the first three songs on side two as well, and would probably pick ''Expresso Love'' as my favourite. However, it only comes third on my list due to the throwaway final track ''Les Boys'', which I am not too fond of (I think it's worse for being the last track on the album) - remove this and this album would be second on my list, replace it with a song to the standard of any of the tracks on side one and it might have been number one.

4) Communique - Although I only rank this fourth on my list, I find this album to be greatly underrated. I've widely seen this album dismissed as being boring or 'samey', which I find doesn't hold true for the most part. The classic DS guitar sound is definitely present, which I find very warm and pleasing throughout this album I am especially fond of ''Single Handed Sailor'', which has one of Knopfler's finest guitar solos. I also rate ''Where Do You Think You're Going?'' and ''Once Upon A Time In The West'' very highly. The only tracks which I feel are slightly dull are ''News'' and the title track, but I wouldn't call either bad. ''Follow Me Home'' has a somewhat repetitive groove, but in my opinion the lead guitar line and overall atmosphere are sufficient to make up for this.

5) Brothers In Arms - Yes, only fifth on my list. This is by far DS's most commercially successful album, but I certainly don't think it's the best musically - there's not enough guitar for my liking and it feels more pop-orientated than their earlier efforts. One exception to this is the title track, which I consider a classic, and I also enjoy ''The Man's Too Strong'' and ''So Far Away'', even though I find the latter a bit lacking lyrically. I liked ''Walk Of Life'' when I was younger, but nowadays I think it's one of their worst songs - it's too repetitive and sounds quite dated, IMO. I do actually like ''Money For Nothing'', it's got the guitars and I like the MTV-baiting lyrics. In other places, I think this album does get a little dull in places, for example ''Why Worry'' is a nice song but really didn't need to be as long as it was. However, despite my criticisms of some of the music, the quality of the recording itself is great.

I actually purchased Communique first (due to ''Lady Writer''), then bought the debut, Love Over Gold and Making Movies. I haven't actually downloaded the whole of Brothers In Arms yet, but I have heard all of the tracks at some point. If I was to recommend the first DS album to buy, I would suggest getting either the debut or Making Movies.

I've never heard anything from ''On Every Street'' - I think this is partly because I was introduced via the ''Money for Nothing'' compilation, which preceded the 1991 release of the sixth and final DS album, and haven't read anything that has made me feel the need to listen to it myself. However, I am familiar with a few tracks from Mark Knopfler's solo album ''Sailing to Philadelphia'' - I love the title track but my favourite is probably the opener ''What It Is''.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Great Dire Straits dissertation Jonny.

For me it's the debut in top spot, followed by Making Movies.

I have never listened to On Every Street so can't comment on that one.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
This is a band that I only have a Best Of for. I love that Best Of CD to death though, so it beats me why I didn't explore their catalog further.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
^^Interesting the Alchemy Live album wasn't mentioned, "Telegraph Road" from Love Over Gold is a great song, though to hear it done Live I think makes it worthwhile having the Alchemy album as well even though it was on the Money For Nothing Compilation album, most people get the Alchemy album to also get the "Going Home - Theme From 'Local Hero'" as well.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I tend to forget about the Alchemy album myself, I don't think I ever got round to getting a copy.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online