David Cassidy goes after 'Partridge Family' fortune

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
David Cassidy goes after 'Partridge Family' fortune - Aug. 4, 2011

david-cassidy.top.jpg

LAS VEGAS -- A CNNMoney and CNN Special Investigations Unit exclusive report. "Hollywood Hustle?" will be part of a CNN Presents hour on Sunday, Aug. 7 at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. ET.
In a hotel suite just hours before going on stage, David Cassidy is signing the famous lunchbox from "The Partridge Family," the 1970s television show in which he starred and performed his hit records.

Cassidy is still performing at various times during the year around the country. He says he'll take his battle to get paid for merchandising as far as necessary.
Today, 37 years after the show went off the air, Cassidy is still filling showrooms with hits like "I Think I Love You."
But he won't be singing that song to Sony, which owns "The Partridge Family."
Cassidy told CNN that Sony Corp. (SNE) has failed to pay him "a fortune" for what he's owed for merchandise from the show.
"It's just ludicrous and unfair and wrong. It's greed," the 61-year-old actor said.
Cassidy said he was only paid $5,000 for merchandise from "The Partridge Family." Under his 1971 contract with Screen Gems, a division of Columbia Pictures Industries which is owned by Sony, Cassidy was supposed to get 15 percent of net merchandising revenues for the use of his image, voice or likeness.
The show, which aired from 1970 to 1974, spawned merchandise such as lunchboxes, Colorforms' David Cassidy dress-up sets, pins and board games.
"I don't want to shame and embarrass and humiliate them, but I will if I have to," Cassidy told CNN. "You owe me a fortune -- you want to go to trial, big bad Sony against David Cassidy, go ahead."

More in link.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I hope he gets what is owed to him...such a shame Sony has given him the shaft.....

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Go run 'em over Dave!! :grinthumb

6.jpg

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
It's all about the contract and the lawyers.

True, musicians and artists are much wiser now..so many early people got really horrible rip offs. Poor management and lack of knowledge of the business..

plus most celebs had little idea about the'business' side of music and fully trusted those who handled it? And they were screwed ..I'm glad David's fighting this tho..Sony is huge ! Good luck !

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
There was a major precedence that was set by Sherwood Schwartz when it came to ****ing over the 'players' in his TV shows. He wasn't the only one to screw people over.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaldoFrey

Members online