Coverdale Vs. Plant - Who Has The Better Voice?

Hey Man

Banned
Reaction score
As legendary as Robert Plant was considered, I personally feel that Coverdale always buried him as a vocalist. Coverdale just has a more powerful, soulful voice and always had a much greater range - it's not even close.

I actually find it silly to even compare the two, but unfortunately those who don't know what they are talking about - think Whitesnake/Coverdale was trying to copy Zeppelin, when in fact Coverdale has always sung that way even before the world knew who Plant was and early Whitesnake was more boogie blues rock ala Foghat. Yes Still of The Night and Judgement Day touch on Zeppelin, but overall his career is not one worthy of the David Coverversion claims.

In many regards, I actually think that Plant was overrated in that many singers of the time were much better - Marriott, Hughes, Rodgers and the like.

So who do you think has the greater vocal ability - Plant or Coverdale? This is not about Zep vs. Whitesnake - but just what you think is the full extent of each singer's voice.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Coverdale is a better vocalist, IMO. Plant is nothing to sneeze at, but if you compare Coverdale's vocals with Deep Purple to Plant with Zepp....I have to give the nod to Coverdale.

What is interesting though, is when he paired up with Page......he sounds so much like Plant it is astounding. Listen to this video, when I heard it I thought I was hearing Plant but it's Coverdale.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I think it matters if you are looking at it from a technical standpoint. Then it would be Coverdale. From what I've heard as I'll never consider myself an expert of either artist catalog. Then again Celine Dion is considered technically better than Johnny Cash but who would sound better to me? Johnny Cash! I loved Cash's voice most when it was aged, cracked and scarred. I like voices with character over range, smoothness or technical singing skills. I think that's what Plant has in a sense. His wails or whatever and the persona he puts behind the microphone make up for inferior technical singing skills IMO. I'm not a fan boy of either group but I think Plant covers more of what I look for in a vocalist so to me he's the better of the two. Good idea for a thread Hey Man! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I have to do with Coverdale too. Songs like "Crying In The Rain", "Still of the Night", and "Burn" just blow me away vocally. I like Robert Plant too but, as everyone has already pointed out, he doesn't sing with as much power or have as wide of range as David does.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freya40

Members online