Coverdale Vs. Plant - Who Has The Better Voice?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Robert Plant, I am not a big fan of Coverdale.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Wow,

I didn't know this until now, but Plant was one of the few male vocalists in rock who could hit a high G besides Freddie Mercury. Roger Taylor had the largest vocal range from the highs to the lows but his singing techniques were horrible.

I still like Coverdale better, but his lyrical abilities weren't as good as Plant's.

Truth.. David had to go falsetto for most of the high octives.. Plant is a tenor.. Coverdale is at least a Alto baritone singer..

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Truth.. David had to go falsetto for most of the high octives.. Plant is a tenor.. Coverdale is at least a Alto baritone singer..

you are so "hot" when you talk that technical, Thumper :D

[email protected]

Reaction score
you know, to leave deep purple and to create the sound of 80s, that means you need to be bloody good singer, even better than the trend makers, so for me coverdale is better, but plant remains the one buried in hearts of many, so you can compare them, but coverdale went the harder way

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
I may not know how to read music (and thus not know what the names of notes are) but I'd imagine the likes of Steve Perry, Brad Delp, Elton John, Justin Hawkins, and other could sing higher than Robert Plant.

Also I really like Roger Taylor's singing voice. His solo work is very underrated.

Roger Taylor wasn't the best live vocalist, but his work that was recorded in the studios is good.

There is a video series on youtube, Cosmic, called "4 octave vocal range" which is in 15 parts I believe, that has examples of 15 male vocalists and shows sound clips of each octave and the entire note range. This is pretty cool to watch

:tup:

:bump::bump::banghead::bricks: arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!! Planet or Coverdale? which is the better vocalist hmmm both are iconic frontmen :wtf: how the hell do you split them up arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! by a nose lol RP...

hmmm Roger Taylor live only sang backing vocals with his only lead vocals being " I`m In Love With My Car " but studio vocals where good...His solo albums are underrated......Cosmic/Magic

RhyeInTheJar

Reaction score
Plant had probably the absolute worst decline in voice quality I've heard. The first Zep album I bought was The Song remains The Same. I think I tried to convince myself that it was great, because Led Zep had this near mythic reputation, but I was secretly thinking "You've got to be kidding me, this guy's voice sucks" I later heard their earlier records, and Plant's voice sounded a lot better on their first two. It declined a bit on 3 to 4, but by the time of Houses Of The Holy, forget it. His voice was gone. Through overuse, surgery, age and smoking, Plants voice has been an annoying whine ever since, both on stage and record.

Coverdale's voice has fared better, although to be honest he seems to try a bit too hard at times to be "hard rock god" and can sound a bit silly at times.

Coverdale wins this one for me.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online